brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Making a Brazil import road legal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eamamar

eamamar

Cabin : Club

Making a Brazil import road legal Empty
PostSubject: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 6:31 am

Hi! ... new member, first post!
It seems that it has been a while since one of these discussions (or at least I haven't found all the posts!). So has anyone succeeded with a personal import from Brazil? Did anyone hear back regarding "@jme" and how they got on?

My main queries are regarding once the vehicle is actually in UK - how to make it all road legal?
I'm currently in Brazil for the next 6 months, finding a fairly new WC kombi is no problem, I have found someone that does excellent camper conversions (search victoria motorhomes kombinet), I speak portuguese, I'm a registered person etc etc. I'm working on the exporter.

My worry is that I get the car into the UK, and then struggle to ever get it onto the road because of the regulations which I'm finding a bit confusing, e.g.

• heated windscreens,
  • emissions,
  • speedo not in mph,
  • dipped headlights, fog lights
  • seatbelts anchorages
  • engine immobiliser (EU approved immobiliser)
  • protective steering (can't find any info on this)
  • front and side impact protection
  • etc

I see that the car will have to do an Individual Vehicle Approval through VOSA (google Guide to Individual Vehicle Approval). This involves a pricey inspection fee (£200-400), depending on whether a Basic or Normal inspection. It seems it will fall into Basic category - but this is more expensive than Normal category which is confusing...
Theres also other stuff like model/type reports, if the same has already been imported, getting a VIN.
I think the van classifies as an M1 passenger vehicle, but it could also be an M1 special purpose vehicle....

I know the guy at Victoria Motor homes might have an interest in exports, and with the Brazilian Real currently very weak the economics are very favourable.  Hopefully we can work this out together!

I plan to keep the vehicle as LHD as will be touring Europe, I hope!

All help very much appreciated - obrigado!
Back to top Go down
flopflopflop

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 am

How did you get on with the iva testing?
Back to top Go down
eamamar

eamamar

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 10:05 pm

flopflopflop wrote:
How did you get on with the iva testing?

Van hasn't arrived in UK yet. Currently doing renovation and camper conversion in Brazil. Then will be shipped in about 6 weeks time, arrive in UK 4 weeks later, and then we begin the process of vehicle approval.

It has been a saga, but I guess we are about half way there... afro
Back to top Go down
flopflopflop

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 am

HI ..hows it going with the van is it in country yet ?
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 9:05 am

Hi Flip Flop...

We can help with the IVA process of getting a Kombi UK Legal!

www.braziliankampers.co.uk

________________________________________________________________________________
www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
flopflopflop

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 7:23 am

How much would this cost ?
Back to top Go down
flopflopflop

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 7:57 am

How much would this cost ?
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 10:22 am

Please email me ian@braziliankampers.co.uk and i can email you some prices.

Many Thanks

Ian

________________________________________________________________________________
www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
eamamar

eamamar

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 9:33 pm

flopflopflop wrote:
HI ..hows it going with the van is it in country yet ?

Van is in Brazil, converted to a camper, but ready to go. The issue is I have now moved elsewhere within the EU, so the question is whether to import via UK or directly to my new country.Still working out the details. Importing to UK is hard but possible, as Ian will testify, elsewhere might be easier.
But with the exchange rate well below what it was 6 months ago, importing from Brazil is currently much less of an attractive option compared to previously.
Making a Brazil import road legal Img-2010

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Interesting place to put the spare!!

What's the panel under the sliding door please?

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Making a Brazil import road legal Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 6:21 am

TimV wrote:
Interesting place to put the spare!!

What's the panel under the sliding door please?
looks like a water tank
Back to top Go down
eamamar

eamamar

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:00 pm

yes - water tanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making a Brazil import road legal   Making a Brazil import road legal Empty

Back to top Go down

Making a Brazil import road legal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: Brazilian VW Bay Bizness :: Brazilian VW Bay Imports-
Jump to: