brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

What did you do to your VW today?

Go down 
+29
Hemlock
Ronnie Ringding
Dennis
sundialsoft
timmm
osg
Scooby
greenjc90
Bumble
hastaalaska
Surfwagen Stan
Matt
kiteman
gordonmac
Skytiger
sunny1
dizzylizard
TimV
URmysunshine
jj123vw
Dalesman
Tallulah
AbsintheKombi
irishman
harryhornet
M1CEY
beakyboy
Tony880
eddy
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

What did you do to your VW today? Empty
PostSubject: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Yes. If you remove the front, this switch the unit off fully. On some head units pushing the power button puts it in standby, as Tallulah said, to switch off fully you need to hold the power button for a couple of seconds unitil the units display goes off.

________________________________________________________________________________
What did you do to your VW today? Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 4:55 pm

kiteman wrote:
Yes. If you remove the front, this switch the unit off fully. On some head units pushing the power button puts it in standby, as Tallulah said, to switch off fully you need to hold the power button for a couple of seconds until the units display goes off.

Ah, I could try that first.
Back to top Go down
eddy

eddy

Cabin : Exec 014

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 am

Bessy Blue now sports a blue 2 cue ball as her gear knob...present from fathers day!
Back to top Go down
Tony880

Tony880

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:45 pm

Took Ruby for her MOT. Passed with flying colours. They just loved her to bits.
Now to get my cancer operation over and done with so the wife and I can get travelling again.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Tony880 wrote:
Now to get my cancer operation over and done with so the wife and I can get travelling again.
Cheers

Great news and all the very best for a speedy recovery!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

What did you do to your VW today? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Treated Scooby to a Meguiar's wash first thing this morning (and the Mini too) as Mrs S had here new shiny car delivered yestereday and we wanted all three to shine in the sun! Cool

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 7:15 pm

TimV wrote:
Yes where the leisure battery power is distributed. If you're clever you can feed a wire up the B pillar, behind the headlining and down the windscreen pillar. It takes patience, but makes for a neater job.

So, having trickle-charged Bumble last weekend, we went to drive up to Herts to collect a Zonesleep mattress topper to try out ................. dead battery. Evil or Very Mad Now it could be the battery is on its way out, but it was tested by Paul B in October and found to be at about 85% and we've had no problems starting in the intervening months (even on Christmas day).

So the only thing I have done since then (electrically, that is) is to change the stereo, fitting a DAB radio with an aerial booster (for the existing aerial) that also has a 12v+ permanent source (as does the radio); both draw on the starter battery. It's a bit worrying if after not driving Bumble for four weeks, the starter battery goes flat and a week after trickle-charging said battery, it's flat again! I cannot imaging the draw from a radio on stand-by is enough to flatten a battery in a week?!

Now car/van electrics aint really my thing, but needs must and we need a working Bumble for Camperjam and then off to France.

So I'm now going to wire into the fuse box on pillar B and draw the stereo power from the leisure battery, to eliminate that as a possible cause of the starter battery draining.

There's four fuses and I can see the inputs on the RHS and output on LHS (viewed from the top), with the bottom one not being connected on the LHS.

So this means there's a spare fuse and 'out', doesn't it?

If I connect onto this 'out' and then feed the wire up pillar B and through the roof lining etc. (neatly of course Wink ), I can take the power from the leisure battery and eliminate any drain on the starter battery.

Any comments/thoughts please?

P.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Ooh we can join in now. Took nev to a campsite in moreton in marsh and practised putting the awning up. Well Gary did - I just passed him the tent pegs!!
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Als wrote:
Ooh we can join in now. Took nev to a campsite in moreton in marsh and practised putting the awning up. Well Gary did - I just passed him the tent pegs!!

great practice for Camperjam when we'll all be there to watch and pass judgement Very Happy But don't worry you'll be amongst friends..

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Bumble wrote:
TimV wrote:
Yes where the leisure battery power is distributed. If you're clever you can feed a wire up the B pillar, behind the headlining and down the windscreen pillar. It takes patience, but makes for a neater job.

So, having trickle-charged Bumble last weekend, we went to drive up to Herts to collect a Zonesleep mattress topper to try out ................. dead battery. Evil or Very Mad   Now it could be the battery is on its way out, but it was tested by Paul B in October and found to be at about 85% and we've had no problems starting in the intervening months (even on Christmas day).

So the only thing I have done since then (electrically, that is) is to change the stereo, fitting a DAB radio with an aerial booster (for the existing aerial) that also has a 12v+ permanent source (as does the radio); both draw on the starter battery.  It's a bit worrying if after not driving Bumble for four weeks, the starter battery goes flat and a week after trickle-charging said battery, it's flat again!  I cannot imaging the draw from a radio on stand-by is enough to flatten a battery in a week?!

Now car/van electrics aint really my thing, but needs must and we need a working Bumble for Camperjam and then off to France.

So I'm now going to wire into the fuse box on pillar B and draw the stereo power from the leisure battery, to eliminate that as a possible cause of the starter battery draining.

There's four fuses and I can see the inputs on the RHS and output on LHS (viewed from the top), with the bottom one not being connected on the LHS.  

If I connect onto this 'out' and then feed the wire up pillar B and through the roof lining etc. (neatly of course  Wink ), I can take the power from the leisure battery and eliminate any drain on the starter battery.

P.

Further update - battery is 50+% charged and when I try to turn the engine on, one of the relays under the dashboard left buzzes (not sure which one). I recall it has also done this when the battery was fully flat; could this be a fault in the relay, rather than elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
M1CEY

M1CEY

Cabin : Exec 062

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 11:38 pm

Tony880 wrote:
Cheers

Good luck with the op xx

Karen
x
Back to top Go down
M1CEY

M1CEY

Cabin : Exec 062

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 11:42 pm

We finally got the registration sorted so M1CEY is now officially M1CEY!

I don't remember if I said why he's Micey? It was my dad's registration plate. My dad was called Mike and few people called him Mikey - he couldn't get M1KEY so went for M1CEY instead thinking it would be like mic - ey iyswim? We all took the mickey out of him calling him mice-y instead and it's just stuck. My dad died last year, and the money he left me went on the camper van, I wanted to spend it on something we could all enjoy as a family and he was quite a traveller. So it seemed right to move the number plate over too, so Dad's kinda with us on all our adventures Smile

Karen x
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 11:53 pm

What a moving story Karen..it's a lovely gesture.
M.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 8:10 am

Bumble wrote:
Bumble wrote:
TimV wrote:

So, having trickle-charged Bumble last weekend, we went to drive up to Herts to collect a Zonesleep mattress topper to try out ................. dead battery. Evil or Very Mad   Now it could be the battery is on its way out, but it was tested by Paul B in October and found to be at about 85% and we've had no problems starting in the intervening months (even on Christmas day).

So the only thing I have done since then (electrically, that is) is to change the stereo, fitting a DAB radio with an aerial booster (for the existing aerial) that also has a 12v+ permanent source (as does the radio); both draw on the starter battery.  It's a bit worrying if after not driving Bumble for four weeks, the starter battery goes flat and a week after trickle-charging said battery, it's flat again!  I cannot imaging the draw from a radio on stand-by is enough to flatten a battery in a week?!

If I connect onto this 'out' and then feed the wire up pillar B and through the roof lining etc. (neatly of course  Wink ), I can take the power from the leisure battery and eliminate any drain on the starter battery.

P.

Further update - battery is 50+% charged and when I try to turn the engine on, one of the relays under the dashboard left buzzes (not sure which one).  I recall it has also done this when the battery was fully flat; could this be a fault in the relay, rather than elsewhere?

Catching up. Why not just fit a new starter battery? Starter batteries generally last about 4 years, unless you know this one is significantly younger, I'd replace it. Then see if you're still getting the draw.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 8:53 am

TimV wrote:
Bumble wrote:
Bumble wrote:
TimV wrote:

P.

Further update - battery is 50+% charged and when I try to turn the engine on, one of the relays under the dashboard left buzzes (not sure which one).  I recall it has also done this when the battery was fully flat; could this be a fault in the relay, rather than elsewhere?

Catching up.  Why not just fit a new starter battery?  Starter batteries generally last about 4 years, unless you know this one is significantly younger, I'd replace it.  Then see if you're still getting the draw.

I replaced mine 2 weeks ago. It wasn't even 3 years old but I was having the same issues. Since the new one's been fitted Eddie starts on the button every time.
You could spend a great deal of time trying to find what's causing it to loose charge when all you really need to do is replace it.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 am

Many thanks to Tim for his text/WhatsApp support this morning Very Happy , it looks like it's most likely the relay that is buzzing (now one of the two 25a fuses on the starter battery has been replaced!) that needs to be replaced (battery is now fully trickle-charged - again!)

It's black, BTW.

Which bit's the relevant number, so i can go to Eurocarparts/VW tomorrow and get one?

On it, it says:-

ZBC 937 503

V23134-B52-X374

2ZC

>PA66-GF25<

On the top is has:-

:-42/02
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:49 am

harryhornet wrote:
TimV wrote:
Bumble wrote:
Bumble wrote:
TimV wrote:

P.

Catching up.  Why not just fit a new starter battery?  Starter batteries generally last about 4 years, unless you know this one is significantly younger, I'd replace it.  Then see if you're still getting the draw.

I replaced mine 2 weeks ago. It wasn't even 3 years old but I was having the same issues. Since the new one's been fitted Eddie starts on the button every time.
You could spend a great deal of time trying to find what's causing it to loose charge when all you really need to do is replace it.

I'll also get the battery checked, just in case.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:54 am

It's the heated rear window relay Bumble....

VWH HRW Relay

6 quid.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 10:01 am

TimV wrote:

VWH HRW Relay

Ah! a red herring then, just buzzing because it can!

Off to Go Auto in Ashtead for a battery tomorrow (assuming they're not open today - not answered their phone yet)

The battery came with Bumble and there's nothing to say how old it is.

I'll get the old one checked and replaced, as required.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 10:07 am

Bumble wrote:
TimV wrote:

VWH HRW Relay

Ah! a red herring then, just buzzing because it can!

Off to Go Auto in Ashtead for a battery tomorrow (assuming they're not open today - not answered their phone yet)

The battery came with Bumble and there's nothing to say how old it is.

I'll get the old one checked and replaced, as required.

Not necessarily mate! Relays can go wrong and cause a drain, and the blown fuse may be a symptom of the issue. But get the battery checked.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 10:10 am

This is the recommended model that I got from Tanya. Arrived in 2 days and fits nicely into our battery tray.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/075-Numax-Car-Battery-P1002.html
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Replaced the battery and relay in Bumble and ............... (roll of drums).............. Bumble started first time cheers

Thanks to Tim and harryhornet for their help.

Spoke to Tayna yesterday morning and chose the battery (mine is slightly different from HH's, as the positive terminal is on the RHS. It arrived before 11am today - just under 24 hours - and that was standard delivery!)

https://www.tayna.co.uk/075-Enduroline-Car-Battery-545CCA-P8396.html

New battery is now on charge (came at about 25% and I charged it a bit before fitting it).

We can now come to Camperjam and then onto France! cheers

P.
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 8:19 am

Good news. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Took Mish to Paul at Brand Autos today for him to work his magic. Annual service, new set of front shock absorbers and MOT, sailed thru with no advisories, happy days.
Back to top Go down
Dalesman

Dalesman

Cabin : Exec 009

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 8:19 am

Sold it cheers Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   What did you do to your VW today? Empty

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your VW today?
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: