brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Potential van purchase but need advice.

Go down 
+5
sundialsoft
Scooby
Tallulah
Ianvwk
dazdub
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Scoot68

Cabin : Economy

Potential van purchase but need advice. Empty
PostSubject: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi, I am looking for some help and advise with regards to buying a 2007 water-cooled model. I test drove it today and found the gear selection was a bit tricky to find. It also crunched a couple of times when changing down a gear. The van has covered 31000 miles and had been regularly serviced. Is there a problem with it or is it me!! Thanks in advance,
Mark
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 6:44 am

Hi gearbox’s are week in brazilian bays if it crunches on down shift sound like it needs replacement or rebuild. Was the owner able to drive it with out crunching?
Back to top Go down
Scoot68

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 7:45 am

Hi, it did crunch a couple of times going into 2nd, not all the time. He said you need to to get the revs down as it doesn't have synchromesh. He did drive it but was double the clutching it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 am

Scoot68 wrote:
Hi, it did crunch a couple of times going into 2nd, not all the time. He said you need to to get the revs down as it doesn't have synchromesh. He did drive it but was double the clutching it. Thanks
sounds like it needs box sorting
Back to top Go down
Scoot68

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks. Any idea how much it will cost?
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 am

Scoot68 wrote:
Thanks.  Any idea how much it will cost?
sorry don’t know as I fixed my gearbox myself do a search on forum will come up with lots results
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 9:03 am

Hi Mark,

We have some nice stock for sale, all sold with a full warranty and mechanical check over...

Ian

www.vwkampers.co.uk

ps replacment gearbox is £1500 - £2000 supplied and fitted.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 9:30 am

Or it could just be the adjustment plate beneath the gear stick needs adjusting...

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 10:02 am

Hi Mark
If you have any concerns or doubts about a purchase and it does not feel right our advice would be to walk away.
We are sure there will be another suitable Kombi coming along soon which will not have such issues.
All the best
Roo b Roo
jocolor

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 12:19 pm

Scoot68 wrote:
Hi, I am looking for some help and advise with regards to buying a 2007 water-cooled model. I test drove it today and found the gear selection was a bit tricky to find. It also crunched a couple of times when changing down a gear. The van has covered 31000 miles and had been regularly serviced. Is there a problem with it or is it me!! Thanks in advance,
Mark

The gearstick adjustment is easy so that can be done in a half an hour and there are youtube videos showing how it's done.
It's just a case of knowing what to do first, take it apart noting where everything goes and re-centering everything and testing.
I did it to my van a few years ago and it was really simple to do. You do it in the front cab of the van, not underneath.

If the adjustment does not sort it then there is a problem. Could be a worn clutch cable which needs a few parts or the gearbox.
It's the seller's job to do all this so if you are in doubt or don't get the right answers probably walk away time.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
brabay

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi those gearboxes do have synchros on all gears and if its crunching then there is likely some problem, I can rebuild your gearbox to stock or upgrade it with german parts and components, it comes with guarantee and will be still cheaper than replacement gearbox
Back to top Go down
http://shift.direct
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Scoot68 wrote:
Mark

Hi Mark,

well from what I can see you've got a lot of useful advice here, much of it invaluable if you already owned the van. However, as you don't, I think I'd be tended to heed Scooby's advice (see below), unless you're sure you could fix it yourself/get it fixed relatively easily.

Hope this helps

P.

Scooby wrote:
Hi Mark
If you have any concerns or doubts about a purchase and it does not feel right our advice would be to walk away.
We are sure there will be another suitable Kombi coming along soon which will not have such issues.
All the best
Roo b Roo
jocolor
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 pm

If you are going to spend a considerable amount of money on a van then it needs to be in full-working order. Either the current owner fixes or walk away. Not worth the risk of 'it might be the adjustment plate,' etc. Only my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Scoot68

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 8:01 am

Thank you all for taking the time to offer advice. I think I will leave it consider my other options.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential van purchase but need advice.   Potential van purchase but need advice. Empty

Back to top Go down

Potential van purchase but need advice.
Page 1 of 1