brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Newbie looking for buying advice

Go down 
+4
kiteman
dazdub
TimV
camperdave
8 posters
AuthorMessage
camperdave

Cabin : Economy

Newbie looking for buying advice Empty
PostSubject: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:05 pm

After a few weeks of lurking in the background I've decided to take the plunge and put up my first post. I got married a few months ago and we're looking to see if we can afford a campervan. A vintage VW is out - I'm no mechanic, and so I need something nice and reliable, so a brazi-bay sounds like the answer.

We've done hundreds of sums, but the question is, how much do you reckon it'd cost for a cheap van? I've seen a few around for low £20k, and even this one for £18k:

http://www.vwkampers.com/new-style-vw-campers/2002-rhd-danbury-rio-£17995.htm (am I allowed to post links on this section? let me know if not and I'll amend)

but I know it's been for sale a while, so maybe there's a reason no-one's gone for it.

I'm sure this will be the first of many questions, so thanks in advance. Hopefully once I'm a fully fledged brazi-bayer I can return the favour!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Hey - welcome - and congratulations on your marriage from all of us here!

First bit of advice .... there's no rush. We're in the quietest time of the campervan season, many are hibernating and there's not many selling. Having said that you can use this very well to your advantage. With not many people buying you can haggle hard. Shortly however you'll start to see more vans appearing in the classifieds - it's just the way it works. Peak buying time will be the Spring.

Decide what your budget is for starters - and stick to it. Then decide what you need out of your new ride. Do you need it to have sleeping for 2 or more - if more you'll definitely need a poptop. A poptop does make an enormous difference when you're camping though - the ability to stand up in your BraziBay whilst cooking etc is a real bonus. Have a look at the recent options poll and see what owners rate highly on their Kombis.

Then go and look at some - to see what you get for your money. Don't feel pressured to buy by anyone. There'll always be another Kombi.

Sure it's fine to post links.

Enjoy your time on the site and make good use of the advice, knowledge and info available to you here.

Read the guide to buying a used BraziBay:

What to look out for when buying a used Brazilian VW Bay

Good luck.

Tim Basketball

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Newbie looking for buying advice Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi tim is spot on if you are after the cool look of the old vw the Brazilian bay is the one to go for a lot less work than the old ones and look almost the same just get it wax oiled daz
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:24 pm

What about the one on eBay tim put a link to on here £12.500 for an 02 Smile daz
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Tbh that '02 looks a bit rough around the edges .... but if you spend that level you can bring it up to top notch by splashing a bit of cash on it.

Not having seen it in the flesh - I'd estimate 2k and you'd have a smart looking Kombi.

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 pm

As Tim has said don't rush into it, your Kombi IS out there.

Also if your prepaired to do some of the work yourself you can save yourself a few extra pounds as well. You'll be quite surprised how easy a lot of the jobs can be.

Newbie looking for buying advice Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
camperdave

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for that - all useful info.

We'd looked at the ebay one, but tbh we were a bit put off by buying from ebay, and also how much work it might need. We need to get out and see some vans really - it's a shame you can't just go to a showroom like with a car, but I guess that's part of the appeal. Is a trip to Danbury worthwhile? Their vans all look way out of our price range, but at least we'd be able to view a few vans in one trip.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Danbury have had this met grey/blue aircooled '04 for quite some time.... don't believe the 'just arrived' script next to the details!

'04 Danbury Airbus

Make them an offer - tell Jason that the Management from Brazilian VW Bay.com require him to do you a cracking new year deal. Wink pirat Wink

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 pm

camperdave wrote:
Is a trip to Danbury worthwhile?

Definitely worth a trip. You can have a good look around, and it will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Hold on tight to your wallet though. I only went up for a look and then ended up buying one.

Newbie looking for buying advice Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
olive

olive

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Kiteman is correct, it is worth the trip to see the Brazi in all its glory but leave the wallet at home. You could if your budget allows start with a basic new minibus and convert it yourself. Its not difficult and if you are not handy with a saw and hammer, rather than make your own units there are many outlets on the web that make them and all you have to do is fit it. You can get it painted and waxoiled for under £1000 elsewhere, the rest is just cosmetic. Good luck.

If the trip to Danbury isnt on remember we are showing off 3 Brazi's at the VW show in March. That would be a good time to see them and talk with some owners.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:11 pm

5 BraziBays @ Volksworld olive!!

Both days!!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
JamieS

JamieS

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Welcome Dave!

We got Ted about a month ago from Danbury. He was a used minibus, which I am going to convert into a camper with my Dad.

This was the cheaper option for us, and we can tailor the interior exactly to what we want. Early days in the conversion, but there are a few people here who went down this route.

Tim and the other members here have been really helpful and supportive, which helped me take the plunge and buy Ted!

We are getting married next year, and hopefully Ted will be a part of it!

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 4:11 pm

JamieS wrote:

We are getting married next year, and hopefully Ted will be a part of it!

It would be rude for him not to be!!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Sorry Tim I stand corrected..............its 5
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm

A Mighty 5 too! lol!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm

The famous five! Hey that's a good title for a book .......or two? Laughing
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Well there's defo gonna be a Timmy in there and it's also true that I like Ginger Beer.

(Got to be Jamaican Fiery though.)

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
camperdave

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks so much for the information, we'll definitely try to get to the show in March and I reckon a little trip to Bristol is on the cards too. It's hard to take your time when you really want to just get something, but Kiteman I trust you - our bus IS out there!
JamieS, your should def get Ted involved in the wedding. Our honeymoon was in September - we had a week in the Lakes in a 1971 Bay that we hired. It was ace but not easy to drive, hence why we're really desperate for a Brazi Bay!
Also, sorry to ask another question, but could anyone give us a rough idea of what it would cost to insure a van for a year, or any insurers we could get a quote from? The only quote we could find was about £1600, but it probably doesn't help that we live in east London and don't have a garage.
Back to top Go down
camperdave

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:36 pm

T
Maybe Volksworld is the way forward - we've booked a trip to CamperJam later in the year, but that's with half an eye on maybe having a van by then...! I think a trip to sunny Bristol beckons too.

Ted looks great, JamieS - and should def be part of the wedding. best man, maybe?!
Back to top Go down
JamieS

JamieS

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks! I haven't known Ted long enough - maybe an usher?!

Ted is empty inside - his back bench seat is being sold this weekend.

I would definitely recommend visiting Danbury. Be careful, I bought Ted in minutes of arriving there! However You will get to see loads of examples in one place (new and used).

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Subject of insurance came up and can be found here:

Insurance costs

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi CamperDave
Not strictly advice but there is another Brazilian Camper on evilBay
A 2006 Aircooled - has a few logos though (just a few!)
See item 230571138494
We agree that the spring would be the best time to buy and you seem to be fully advised by now.
Your ONE is out there - look for it and it will come
All the best
Scooby Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie looking for buying advice   Newbie looking for buying advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie looking for buying advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: