brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI

Go down 
+11
absquatulation
Tallulah
stoneyuk
Matt
dazdub
TimV
dizzylizard
irishman
JLS 62
kiteman
baydreams
15 posters
AuthorMessage
baydreams

Cabin : Economy

kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI Empty
PostSubject: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Ive been reading loads about old and new T2's.
We have a 1999 fiat based motorhome and an 07 Honda Civic S Type.
We now just want one vehicel to drive to the shops and for the Mrs to drive to work but also want to use it for holidays and weekends.
Our current motorhome is just too big for us so its got to go.
But we need reliability so are put off by an old T2.
We are also considering a new transporter van to convert.
When we read about the prices of new T2's people always go on how its mad to spend over 30k on a classic design.
Either way we would be buying the basic van and converting itself as I have done it before on other panel vans so I belive its actually around 23k.
My main consearn is in truth how reliable is this 1400 cc engine and how fast can it cruise on the motorway without thrashing it?
Is there a 5 speed gearbox for it?
As its going to be a daily vehicle what is the availability of spare engine parts like and the cost?
If I need a new exhaust how easy is it to get one?
Is there larger engine size options too?
Many thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:43 pm

To start with there's no 5 speed box or larger engine option.

As for driving. It drives like and original 70s model. A lot of play in the steering and it's quite heavy. There is a rack and pinion option and also a power steering option though.

You can drive at 70 mph but I wouldn't say cruise Smile. There are plenty of people who use theirs as a daily drive a have no problems

What you have to remember is it's a T2 NOT a modern T5. But what you loose in luxury your more than gain in smiles.

Parts are easy to come by just check the ads at the top of the page.

Have a good nose around the site there's been a few posts about the same thing

________________________________________________________________________________
kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi there I can answer a tiny bit of your query but not all - you will have to await the answers from water cooled owners. I have an aircooled 2004 and I know that the new water cooled engine is the only option in terms of size - 1400cc. I know people have said that it can cruise at 70mph but realistically a 1.4l pushing all that weight can only be a strain. Pretty sure it is only a 4 speed - again no option.
If it was me - and I had the ability, I would buy a one year old T5 and convert. Could probably do that for about £23K
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 pm

As mentioned above there are loads of other threads on here regarding some of your questions. Ours is a watercooled and we use it everyday it is our only vehicle and we get on fine. You do have to realise tho' that the basic design is some what dated. I tend to 'cruise' at about 60mph when fully ladened and get along ok.
Spares are relatively easy to get hold of and reasonably priced, personally I would do the same again and buy one, coz I just love it!!

Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

It's a personal thing, but buying new is the best thing I did. The design may be old, but it has been going for 50 plus years which must mean something! It would be interesting to know what percentage of all T2s built are still on the road.
Dizzy is a 1.4 watercooled and we do a lot of motorway driving. She cruises happily at 65 and when necessary 70, but 75 is pushing it. Otherwise I echo the above.
All the best whatever your decision.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 pm

There's a relatively unused 2009 Kombi part converted for sale in our classifieds - would suit your requirements perfectly I'd imagine:

2009 Watercooled Brazilian Kombi for sale,PRICE DROP

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:12 am

Have a go in a Brazilian you will love it or hate it but you will have a big smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 am

I agree with daz. Hire one for a few days. There are plenty of BraziBay rental firms listed elsewhere here. It's low season - even if you don't go camping it'll be a useful demo of what it's like to own one on a daily basis.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:57 pm

We have had our van for 2 years from new. It is our every day drive and has been reliable through out. The only problem we have had was the exhaust manifold failing, due to poor build quality, and this was replaced under warrenty. We have had to replace the exhaust, a common problem as the originals arent up to our weather conditions. We sourced a stainless steel custom built one from longlife for around £300 (they are a national francise so should be one in your area). The 1400 engine is quite happy at 60 on motorways and will do 70 but due to the weight we keep it to 60 so as not to strain the engine. Also aerodynamically, once above 60 you get pushed around by the wind which makes for a stressfull journey. We have the rack and pinion drive option which takes alot of the free play out of the steering.
What you get is a 50 year old designed vehicle, with a reliable modern engine and no rust. In the summer you will love it, and in the winter you will freeze, while trying to see out of steamed up windows, however, there will be the biggest grin on your face and you would never dream of selling it.
If you are the sort of person that has always wanted a T2, and you always turn your head to watch one drive by as you shout 'vw' to your partner, then this is the way to go. If not, dont, you'll see all of its faults and none of the glory, buy a T5 instead.
Oh and by the way, they generally dont fit in multi-story carparks, which is a dayly drive factor.

Matt.

kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI Img_2014
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Further to Matt's informative words, you need to be aware that you will get attention in a new Kombi - with good reason. If you don't like being approached by complete strangers who will want to ask you about your camper - buy a T5.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
baydreams

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Lol some great replies.
As someone being into boats we enjoy people coming up to us and chatting.
I know the feeling of being blown about by wind as our motorhome is high and when it gets caught by a bit of a gust I always swear.
I just love the way a T2 looks the T5 is just another Audi/Golf looking thing IM not into but if IM going to spend good money on a camper van IM not buying another Fiat!
I love my Honda but dont like having to pay huge amounts of money to have someone else to fix things on my car so an old design that allows me to fix it myself sounds perfect so long as its reliable.
We had to have a new door handle fitted it cost £90 for a bit of plastic and it couldnt be done by myself.
But 4 gears why only 4 gears?
Surely the VW Fox is a 5 speed car?
Isnt it the same engine there must be a mod for the gearbox.
Looks like IM going to have to rent one to see what its like but £90 for a day!
We are based in Manchester.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
stoneyuk

stoneyuk

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:48 pm

We bought Eva our 2006 aircooled kombi last year and have had no regrets - in fact she is lovely! Done the Devon/Cornwall thing in her a couple of times now and took her all the way down to Provence this year with no problems at all. Also got some admirers along the way.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Quote :

I'm quite surprised at your surprise to the hire rates.

IMO £90 per day/night is a reasonable going rate, if not at the lower end of the scale. I suspect your bigger problem will be finding a hire company who will let you hire for just one night. Most insist on a minimum of 2 or 3 nights.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
baydreams

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Tallulah wrote:
Quote :

I'm quite surprised at your surprise to the hire rates.

IMO £90 per day/night is a reasonable going rate, if not at the lower end of the scale. I suspect your bigger problem will be finding a hire company who will let you hire for just one night. Most insist on a minimum of 2 or 3 nights.

Gone are the days in the UK where firms call the shots.
As the customer its rented on my terms or not at all.
Not being rude or anything but for £90 plus the cost of petrol over 2 nights thats over £200.
Thats not at all tempting.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:53 pm

And that's your choice.

You can hire a 70s/80s T2 or T25 for less, but not by much, and a Splitty will likely cost even more.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
absquatulation

absquatulation

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Well, I use my camper everyday, it has its good points, everybody looks at it, I have a large grin driving it. It has its bad points, no power steering, travels at 70 maximum (is that a bad point?) .    I can park it in a normal car park bay, but the height is just over 2 metres, so it won't fit in normal multi story carparks.

You've asked about spare parts, the engine is from a Polo or some such, so generally that's not a problem. The gearbox is a classic T2 (with mods) so that is why it is only 4 gears (and no sycnro in first). 

Its an expensive toy with querks,  you really need to see if you can cope with the quirks, if not then this is not for you.

Good luck in your search.

I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:42 pm

baydreams wrote:

But 4 gears why only 4 gears?
Surely the VW Fox is a 5 speed car?
Isnt it the same engine there must be a mod for the gearbox.
Thanks.

The engines in the fox maybe the same but there mounted different ways. The Fox is front wheel drive with the engine left to right whereas the T2 engine is mounted running front to back. The drive from the gearbox is configured a different way. The Fox is also a lot lighter so is geared differently as well.

kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 9:29 am

Its true most hire cpmpanies dont hire for just one or two days as by the time they pay the insurance, cleaning, running costs and tax its hardly worth while....No point hiring an old T2 as they drive differently to a new watercooled one. Baydreams : Your welcome to call us and arrange a test drive at Danbury. You can try one with and without power steering and direct drive to help you decide....(by appointment) . My opinion a 5 speed box is not needed and the new gearbox matches the vehicle well. Hope that helps.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Baydreamer

Baydreamer

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 pm

I used mine for approx 2 years as a daily driver and there are pros and cons dependant on the miliage you do and if you need your car during work hours. Id say go for it as its not until you do that you get a feel for if it suits you. Best of luck
Back to top Go down
Blue Seagull

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Many of the points I'd raise have been mentioned already, but in addition:

** The van can do 70mph easily, but consumes considerably more fuel if you do so over a sustained period.
** The gearbox is the same as fitted in the 1970s, and is...... idiosyncratic...... if you are used to a modern car.
** Similarly, there are a few drawbacks associated with it being a piece of 1970s technology, whether in terms of rust or more basic on board systems than a 21st century vehicle.
** I disagree with Jason that a five speed gearbox would be a good idea (I would like to hope it would bring considerably improved fuel economy) but I've not heard that anyone does one.
** I'm not supposed to use the van for work as it has neither ABS brakes nor airbags (a requirement from the employer if staff drive their own cars).
** It can be an absolute bitch to control on a windy day on the North Wales coast...... I exaggerate slightly there as I don't drive it that often, so have to get used to it when I do!
** My wife uses it for work and has very few problems, and enjoys the flexibility of being able to brew up and even have meetings in it.

For all its limitations, we love our (09 registered water-cooled) van to bits, and have had some wonderful times in it. I think it's a case of learning to work with the van for what it is, rather than expecting it to be what it isn't.

Best of luck any which way,

CHRIS
Back to top Go down
Andy

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 am

I would really only reccommend getting one if your someone who doesnt mind a bit of tinkering, if your used to working on vehicles you will be fine, but if you cant even fit a wiper blade you will be in for some big bills.

Okay the newer 1.4 ones have alot less engine maintainance than the older Aircooled, but there is always a job or two that needs doing, if its not greasing this, its adjusting that, and if you have to take it to a garage and pay normal garage labour rates for every little job then I hope you have deep pockets.

Quote :
** I disagree with Jason that a five speed gearbox would be a good idea (I would like to hope it would bring considerably improved fuel economy) but I've not heard that anyone does one.

Its possible if you have the £££... I have a Porsche 914 that I am restoring at the moment, and that has what is basically a 5-speed version of that gearbox, and people do fit them in Beetles to make them 5-speed but boxes are quite pricey and box needs the diff flipping over to change it from the Porsche mid engined layout to rear engined in a Beetle or Van. (otherwise you will end up with one forward, and 5 reverse gears!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI   kombi - We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI Empty

Back to top Go down

We are looking at buying a new T2 KOMBI
Page 1 of 1