brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Tent + wind =

Go down 
+3
Tallulah
Scooby
stephenjedward
7 posters
AuthorMessage
stephenjedward

stephenjedward

Cabin : Economy

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:52 pm

egg on face... Embarassed

finally decided on a Khyam Motordome sleeper, delivered last Friday. On Sunday I thought Id have a practice at putting it up in the garden (kids were laughing & timing me as I'd sold it to them as a quick erect model...)

anyhow it started raining before I had the chance to peg it out / or take it down.

well whats the worst that can happen I thought, lets test it in the rain - I'lll leave it up until we get some dry weather then pack it away until Easter.... Seeing it was getting windy I pegged down the corners and a couple of the main guy lines...

Sunday, rain. Sunday night, wind. Monday morning, rain. I joked with a chap on the train on Monday morning that I might expect a call from a neighbour saying my awning was in his garden...... Razz

you know whats comning........ affraid

Monday lunch call from home saying the awning has blown away......(well down the garden)

Returned home last night to a sorry looking mess and one of the auto joints has broken. At least they provided spare joints so it must be expected?

Tonight I will be fixing the joint and erecting the awning in my lounge (I think it will just fit ... to dry it out and put this sorry episode behind me until the sun comes out.......

cheers
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Sorry to read your tale about the Kyham Sleeper - we too have one but cannot match this story Rolling Eyes
Hope all is well after your fixing session tonight
Still, the kids will love having it in the lounge - could try sleeping in it over night - much safer indoors Laughing
Rooby Roo
flower

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
stephenjedward

stephenjedward

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Whilst Im on the topic - does anyone use lightweight plastic pegs? or just the standard steel ones.....

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Oops!

We had an incident last year with our Royal Traveller awning (original 1970s) when is was all up and ready to peg and we changed our mind about which side Tallulah should be based on morning sunshine and prevailing wind.

Of course as soon as I moved the van, the awning caught the full force of wind it had previously been sheltered from and lifted up like a very uncomfortable looking kite.

It only flew a few yards but performed a perfect somersault - maybe I should enter it for the Olympics... - and resulted in a bent leg which still works but is no longer telescopic.

Lesson learned, so with either of our awnings the VERY first thing we now do is peg a guy rope on the windward side to safeguard against sudden gusts, and decide beforehand which way it is to face!

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 pm

We have a mixture of pegs, mostly regular steel ones, but also a few larger ones for harder ground, and some illuminating LED plastic ones that stop anyone tripping over your guy ropes.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 pm

We had the kids trampoline end up over the 6ft fence and it ended up in the next doors garden it take 2 people to lift it lol

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Setting up at Camperjam last summer, there was a sudden gust of wind across the field just as I was opening up our Khyam. It was headed straight against the side of Max but some kind onlookers rushed over to help before any damage was done.

Rule of thumb: if it's breezy - find an awning buddy!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Tent + wind = Melogo11
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

Cabin : Club

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Pegs? I have given up on the "supplied" metal pegs and replaced them with bright red and day- glow orange plastic ones. I've also got nearly a dozen rock or stone pegs which will go through most things, which I use on the windy side.

I've also replaced all the black guy ropes or lines with bright yellow ones so that the visually challenged and children amongst us might possibly spot them before they trip over.

If it is really windy, if possible I try to park on the windy side, but if that isn't possible, then I put up a wind break to try to lift the wind off the ground so it goes over.

Although I haven't reached the final resort yet, when we go on holiday we use rachet straps for surfboards and trailer etc, so my plan is to put those over the top of the tent and weigh them down with something heavy like a small child or something equally useful in a crisis.

I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
stephenjedward

stephenjedward

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 8:07 am

absquatulation wrote:
Pegs? I have given up on the "supplied" metal pegs and replaced them with bright red and day- glow orange plastic ones. I've also got nearly a dozen rock or stone pegs which will go through most things, which I use on the windy side.

I've also replaced all the black guy ropes or lines with bright yellow ones so that the visually challenged and children amongst us might possibly spot them before they trip over.

If it is really windy, if possible I try to park on the windy side, but if that isn't possible, then I put up a wind break to try to lift the wind off the ground so it goes over.

Although I haven't reached the final resort yet, when we go on holiday we use rachet straps for surfboards and trailer etc, so my plan is to put those over the top of the tent and weigh them down with something heavy like a small child or something equally useful in a crisis.

Thanks - a nice design feature of the new Khyam is that the ropes are all fluorescent yellow.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm

We use steel pegs but have not yet got around to get the really tuff one's for stoney ground
On the list Rolling Eyes
Rooby Roo

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Our metal pegs are these ones - metal peg link - they've been good, not had any problems with them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tent + wind = Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent + wind =   Tent + wind = Empty

Back to top Go down

Tent + wind =
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: