brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

2012 - doomsday??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dartmoor

dartmoor

Cabin : Club

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:50 am

Now I don't always trust wikepedia, but I guess the end has to come some time - but it will be a sad day Sad Sad :

"Analysts say the Volkswagen Type T2 production will come to an end in Brazil by 2012, when ABS brakes and airbags are scheduled to become mandatory."
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 12:56 pm

I knew about this a while ago but like you say dartmoor you can't always trust wikipedia as anyone can write stuff on there. However I did do a bit of web research and as I understood it at the time the way things have to go in Brazil is that a percentage of newly made vehicles must be fitted with airbags and abs by 2012 and then all by 2014. So if that becomes reality we should see our beloved Kombi in production for another 4 years.

It's an incredibly popular vehicle in the home market and it may well be the case that Volkswagen take time out to satisfy the incoming legislation. Let's hope so.

In the meantime it's up to us to maintain our Bays to ensure their longevity and encourage other folk to go for a Kombi whether new or used so we get as many over here before the plug gets pulled!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

2012 - doomsday?? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 1:33 pm

TimV wrote:
I knew about this a while ago but like you say dartmoor you can't always trust wikipedia as anyone can write stuff on there. However I did do a bit of web research and as I understood it at the time the way things have to go in Brazil is that a percentage of newly made vehicles must be fitted with airbags and abs by 2012 and then all by 2014. So if that becomes reality we should see our beloved Kombi in production for another 4 years.

It's an incredibly popular vehicle in the home market and it may well be the case that Volkswagen take time out to satisfy the incoming legislation. Let's hope so.

In the meantime it's up to us to maintain our Bays to ensure their longevity and encourage other folk to go for a Kombi whether new or used so we get as many over here before the plug gets pulled!

Whatever happened to the micro-bus project too? The T2 has proved that there is a market for camper van with the footprint of a medium sized estate car. The T5 is no substitute as its wider and bigger than a car. The Mazda Bongo has been popular precisely because of its compact size. So I hope that when the T2 eventually stops, it can be replaced with something more attractive and compact than the T5.

The micro-bus project is crying out to be revived - BMW, VW and FIAT have all made money from revamping succesful concepts from the past - the mini, the beetle and the Fiat 500. There definitely should be a new T2 for the future! VW, are you listening Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 2:30 pm

The front seat converting into stairs to the upper deck is pure genius. I'll take one of those please. In red and white. Can it be delivered this weekend. Ta.

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

We want photos of all of your accessories please Den Very Happy

Me, well Junior is off at cub camp this weekend so I'm doing my "other job" - presenting the afternoon show on 107.8 Radio Jackie across SW London and North Surrey this Sat/Sun/Mon. Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Denni wrote:
Good stuff! Didn't know you were a radio celeb!

I play the toons and talk rubbish between them. Anyone can do it afro

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:49 pm

The T2 must be the longest production run for a vehicle ever?? 1967-2012? Other cars like the mini, and the Toyota Corolla don't count because its merely the name that continued, not the actual design of the original! Even the Land Rover is a different shell from the original - but the T2 is THE
original!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Doesn't the Beetle beat that?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Denni wrote:
1930's or something like that for the Beetle wasn't it?

Yes, but the beetle body shell changed substantially. Our van is almost identical to the orginal - only the front lower panels and rear lights are different!
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Denni wrote:
dartmoor wrote:
Denni wrote:

Yes, but the beetle body shell changed substantially. Our van is almost identical to the orginal - only the front lower panels and rear lights are different!

And the prices!!

Well yes! I count my lucky stars - mine was second hand, and a bargain.
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Denni wrote:
Same here. We got a very good deal second hand with ours.

Just a few refinements to do, rack and pinion and lowering next week, then save up for the Westy roof which I'm looking forward to as I miss the space from our old T25.

yep, I miss that T25 too! Penolopea - the great 2 litre aircooled kermit! She was great - crankshaft was on on its last legs though. She is still going though - passed her in Dorset!
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Denni wrote:
I saw her at the Volksworld show, funky new wheels, great paint job, looking good!

I've only just twigged as well Mark that it's you! Hope all is good and you're enjoying the bus :0)

Still feel bad I didn't get the full story from Beetlelink and spent a small fortune then you bought her Embarassed

Lol Denni! No worries mate - I owe you, as it was that bus that got us hooked into Dubs and camping! It was a great Bus - just not a T2!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:45 pm

dartmoor wrote:
Denni wrote:

Err .... what about the roof??? Plus the Beetle didn't change that much - only when the 1302S came in with its curved screen and big bonnet. It was the same chassis and body as all the other T1s.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? EmptySat May 29, 2010 11:35 am

TimV wrote:
dartmoor wrote:
Denni wrote:

Err .... what about the roof??? Plus the Beetle didn't change that much - only when the 1302S came in with its curved screen and big bonnet. It was the same chassis and body as all the other T1s.

Yes, you have me there - can't beat the humble beetle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2012 - doomsday?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 - doomsday??   2012 - doomsday?? Empty

Back to top Go down

2012 - doomsday??
Page 1 of 1