brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Safety of T2

Go down 
+9
Skytiger
Sunny
Tallulah
TimV
primrose
dizzylizard
Kaz
AbsintheKombi
cariad76
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cariad76

cariad76

Cabin : Club

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:43 am

Hi! So after years of wanting to, I've finally put my deposit down on a new T2 from Danbury! I've already done the heart/head T2/T5 debate countless times, but my heart wins this one - however I just wondered if anyone had any comments on the lack of modern safety features?

Obviously same applies to any classic camper, but I guess I'm still a little worried about taking a T2 out on modern motorways with no ABS or airbags - I get the feeling I'm being a bit silly though, after all I have no intention of going much over 55 if I can help it  Laughing 

Anyone had the same concerns? To be fair, I'm still getting my T2 regardless, just wondered if anyone else had felt the same and how you convinced yourself to go for it!

Thanks  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 am

I can't say that I've given it a thought since we bought Absinthe. We rarely go over 60 so ABS isn't really needed. As for Airbags, I hope I never need them on any car!

There's no doubt that the driving experience is very different from most modern cars but you soon get used to it and it tends to focus the mind much better than normal driving. Many's the time in my Disco that I've arrived at places and can't remember anything about the journey - it almost drives itself. The same can't be said about the T2.

Have a look here for our experiences of buying a Danbury: C13MPR

I'll bet you can't wait to pick her up - don't forget some photos when you've got her. Have you got a name for her yet?

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015

Last edited by Absinthe on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Kaz

Kaz

Cabin : Exec 057

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 am

Being a 55 year old, I recall the days of no seat belts, no air bags, and pre-breathalyser. Try not to worry too much, but drive safe, live long and have fun!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 am

I hadn't thought about the age thing, Kaz. You're right about our generation being used to not having all the modern day extras.

________________________________________________________________________________

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 am

Hi and welcome to the forum

I agree with the above sentiments, a kombi is a different beast. Just be aware of its characteristics and limitations.

Ok, air-bags give some added protection, but in my humble opinion ABS is a waste of space giving drivers a false sense of security, which more often than not causes more problems than it solves.

Once you start driving a kombi you will naturally adjust to it and enjoy the experience at a slightly lower speed, leaving a bit more space in front and behind you, and planning any manoeuvers a bit earlier.

The only drawback with motorway driving is that most heavies are travelling at 60 and with a top speed of just over 70, it takes that bit longer to overtake and return to lane one.

Having said that, the enjoyment of the slower pace of life, and admiration you are going to get, far out-ways any of these negatives.

Chill and enjoy.   Cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cariad76

cariad76

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks guys, I get a feeling it's more the nerves of spending the cash that got me thinking! I'm really excited about getting my T2, no idea on names yet though, but there'll definitely be photos when he arrives!
Back to top Go down
primrose

primrose

Cabin : Economy

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Welcome.

We also had similar thoughts to you but as others have said, you adjust your driving style to your Kombi.  

Its a slower pace of life.

Gentle gear changes rather than forcing the stick is essential - kind of " feel " the gear stick into position.  Steering will be heavy and may take a while to get used to.

When driving, look well ahead and predict what may happen - this will reduce the need to slam brakes or rely on abs.

Practice reversing in large car park.

They are a lot of money, but we reconciled our concerns by realising that they do not seem to depreciate as much as modern vehicles.

So - whats the colour?  This site is good a suggesting names!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Your worries will be a thing of the past once you're in command of your new BraziBay. Your natural instinct to protect both it and its occupants will cause you to adjust your outlook on driving. I find it improves my driving skills. Modern cars do so much for you that you get lazy and take greater risks, because they allow you to. You'll understand within a few smiles of driving your new T2.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Safety of T2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Agreed. The only downsides are the distraction of friendly people waving at you and the grins of onlookers as you pass by...

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Once you've had your kombi for a while you will find you have stronger arms from the steering (unless you have EPAS) and all the waving, and stronger cheek muscles from the 'permagrin'.

Enjoy!!!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
cariad76

cariad76

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 3:50 pm

You've all pretty much confirmed what I'd been thinking  Very Happy I just have to pick a colour now - oh and all the other options! I'm heading down in February to place the order so I've got a wee bit of time yet. Have to admit, I've always wanted purple, but there's some gorgeous colours out there!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 3:55 pm

cariad76 wrote:
but there's some gorgeous colours out there!

This is true. What will now swiftly follow is a series of affirmations for a host of shades from our lovely collective.  Wink 

Seriously though, do check out the poll we've had running for some time about what colours people have gone for and also have a look through the gallery here to see how good the BraziBay can look in a multitude of shades. Enjoy the spec'ing process.  Basketball 

@brazilianvwbay

Safety of T2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 4:11 pm

TimV wrote:
What will now swiftly follow is a series of affirmations for a host of shades from our lovely collective.   Wink 
First off the plate, obviously has to be that vintage VW color, Marino Yellow Smile
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm

I must confess I would like to see more traditional colours appearing on our membership spectrum. I appreciate part of the customisation thang is to get your Kombi in 'your' colour, but over the years Volkswagen did have an array of lovely shades. If you go to this page you'll see the whole range. If I ever repainted Max, I'd go for either Sea Blue or Orient Blue.

@brazilianvwbay

Safety of T2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi for me ,had I had " my" (note my) choice and not my wonderful good lady ,I too would have gone for the lovely lemony yellow,classic vw colour,and we also need a yellow in the club!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Also ,forgot to mention ,you will be a better driver with a t2 , as all have said its a different way of driving.you can have all the trick bits on your car and still "someone else" can wipe you out.life is too short as it is without worrying about abs and air bags etc ,just do it and you will NOT. regret it ,
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello and welcome.

I agree with eveything said so far! You develop a different form of driving, think much further ahead, go at a slower pace and arrive with a big grin!

Although I did have second thoughts when driving our bus home after purchasing it in Sheffield. There was a slight bleeding of the ears, throbbing arms and a newly developed fear of driving over bridges in windy conditions! But you get used to it all and we wouldn't look back!

Good luck with your new arrival!
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 6:38 pm

TimV wrote:
I must confess I would like to see more traditional colours appearing on our membership spectrum. I appreciate part of the customisation thang is to get your Kombi in 'your' colour, but over the years Volkswagen did have an array of lovely shades. If you go to this page you'll see the whole range. If I ever repainted Max, I'd go for either Sea Blue or Orient Blue.
I knew it ....TIMV is secretly a BLUE fan !
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 7:44 pm

When you choose a colour try and go for a manufactures shade, that way you will be able to get touch up sticks etc. I made the mistake of getting a custom colour and and have found it hard to get a good colour match

Safety of T2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Feliz wrote:
TimV wrote:
I knew it ....TIMV is secretly a BLUE fan !

As a member of the Exec Club, you already know I have another ride which is blue!  Cool 

@brazilianvwbay

Safety of T2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
cariad76

cariad76

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Well I already have a big grin just thinking about getting it, so it can only get bigger  Very Happy  Promise I won't pick pink!  Am seriously tempted by yellow though......
Back to top Go down
primrose

primrose

Cabin : Economy

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 12:11 pm

And from a safety point of view - Yellow is seen for miles. In fact the police use me to fend off at road collisions!
Back to top Go down
cariad76

cariad76

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 pm

That's definitely a plus point then!
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Cabin : Exec 057

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 pm

We fell for a pale blue van in the Danbury showroom, until we were left alone with the colour swatch books - it definitely focuses the mind! I found myself being drawn to a particular colour range and we eventually chose a shade we hadn't initially considered. I'm very pleased with our choice, so go with how you feel on the day. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 3:07 pm

cariad76 wrote:
Am seriously tempted by yellow though......
 cheers cheers cheers sunny sunny sunny cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Safety of T2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety of T2   Safety of T2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Safety of T2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: