brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Car Dealer Add-ons

Go down 
+4
kiteman
Sunny
sparkysteve
Tallulah
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 am

Alternative title: A sleepless night can save you money

We're in the process of replacing our 8yo Renault Megane, so have been visiting local (main) dealers to consider ours options and see what deals they have to offer.

I won't mention any names, but in almost all cases we have been offered (or rather it has been suggested) that we include various add-ons as part of our purchase "to further protect our investment".

It's a while since we bought a new car - Tallulah was our last new vehicle purchase, but for various reasons that doesn't count - and things have moved on.

As well as the common place 'Paint Protection' package, the latest suggestions are GAP insurance (because we will be financing the purchase) and Cosmetic Repair/Warranty Insurance. All three of these are well worth considering but - and this will likely be obvious to some - the dealer adds a significant markup to all of them.

While being kept awake by the howling winds outside, I spent a short while online investigating each - are they worth it, what are the benefits and drawbacks etc - and without much effort have obtained quotes for the same (or better!) products from elsewhere for approx 60-70% less than the lowest prices offered by the main dealers.

As an example, the 'best' price for Cosmetic Warranty Insurance from the main VW dealer in Reading was £349 (alloy wheels not included) and I have found a like-for-like that DOES include alloys for ~£160. The only stipulation is that the policy needs to be in place within 30 days of the vehicle purchase.

More details about our impending purchase in due course, without all the dealer add-ons!

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
sparkysteve

sparkysteve

Cabin : Exec 035

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 6:53 am

funny enough my dad just bought a new vw golf and he was convinced that he should take a HP finance as he gets a years free insurance and could cancel the finance.

Tried to explain that the dealership and sales staff get commission for selling these policies.

I cannot see vw Brazil or Danbury doing paint protection warranty on a new Brazil bay! ;-)

________________________________________________________________________________
Car Dealer Add-ons Logo_s11

Visit my T2c Blog at http://t2bay.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2bay.blogspot.co.uk
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 am

Having had an insurance background, I tend to avoid all point-of-sale insurance schemes/add-ons, choosing to mainly self-insure or occasionally obtain better/cheaper elsewhere. Saved myself a packet.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 am

Don't think there's such thing as a bargin from a main dealer. ₤60 for an ipod lead for my car, £2.99 for the same thing on ebay.
As with most of the add ons, no matter where you go, they're only worth it if it's used. I personally don't go for the extras, but that's cos I'm a cheap skate Smile

Car Dealer Add-ons Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 pm

You can definitely get GAP cover much cheaper elsewhere.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Maybe ask around re insurance cover ( broker , internet etc ) but read the terms and payout limits and excess and make sure you are happy. Re paint protection: get this done by someone that knows what they are doing or it's not worth having . My friend did his own and after a whole day spent on it, made a right mess! He would have been better off going to work and earning what he's good at doing and paying a pro to do the car inside and out. Don't forget to do the glass as well
As paint work. Same if you have leather and cloth on the inside . Each has its own product to protect . . Lots of different products around . Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks Jason.

Tallulah had the Diamond Brite treatment applied by your good selves and it has kept her looking tip-top.

I have since purchased 5l of the DB shampoo and 1l of the DB conserver/wax so whatever new motor we end up with I will investigate the DB treatment again (independently) so we can use the same stuff.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Great idea
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:06 pm

I received an invitation today to attend an 'Experience Porshe' day at Porshe Centre Portsmouth. Demonstration drives are available. Very Happy
I'll ask about their add-ons. Could be an extensive list!
Back to top Go down
bob k

Cabin : Club

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 pm

RUST PROTECTION would have been good from Danbury!!!! SIX years old and PERFORATED RUST to BOTH front wheel arches (inside next to seat runners) lower rear panel and now rust coming through from battery tray!!!! Sad Mad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
sparkysteve

sparkysteve

Cabin : Exec 035

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:54 pm

Rust in these places are an inherent design feature. All designs of types 2 rust in these places due to trapped water.

Car Dealer Add-ons Logo_s11

Visit my T2c Blog at http://t2bay.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2bay.blogspot.co.uk
Sponsored content

Car Dealer Add-ons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car Dealer Add-ons   Car Dealer Add-ons Empty

Back to top Go down

Car Dealer Add-ons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-