brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

What pop top do you prefer ?

Go down 
+10
irishman
harryhornet
Bileos
Gina Tonic
Voyager
TimV
Sunny
Tallulah
MarcusH
Ianvwk
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

What pop top do you prefer ? Empty
PostSubject: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi All,

With our Kombis that are coming in from Brazil and being converted into campers we are starting to think about what style of roofs you prefer the look off.

Below is a Danbury pop top and one from Space roofs, we will of course be designing our own but just wanted to know what people prefer the look of..!

Many Thanks

Ian

What pop top do you prefer ? Img_6510
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 1:08 pm

I prefer the look of the Danbury one but the practicality of the Space one

The Space one is really easy to use. Never tried the Danbury one but hear they can be a nightmare to get back down

Have you thought about doing one that hinges on the side and concertinas up. Seen pictures on 70's ones but don't know its proper name. They always look cool although I've never had experience of one.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 1:21 pm

MarcusH wrote:
I prefer the look of the Danbury one but the practicality of the Space one

The Space one is really easy to use. Never tried the Danbury one but hear they can be a nightmare to get back down

Have you thought about doing one that hinges on the side and concertinas up. Seen pictures on 70's ones but don't know its proper name. They always look cool although I've never had experience of one.

Is it Viking roof that hinges on the side?

EDIT: Found this: Pop up roof types

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Space roof type, for more useable space, especially with bigger kids, and I think it looks better up. Also easier to put up and down, with potentially less wear on rams and joints.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Sunny wrote:
Space roof type, for more useable space, especially with bugger kids, and I think it looks better up. Also easier to put up and down, with potentially less wear on rams and joints.

Not sure if anyone from Space Roofs is on here, so I'm sorry if this upsets them.

I've seen two space roof conversions up close and (IMO) the finishing needs some work. To me they looked very untidy where the pop top meets the vehicle, a silver trim was used to cover up the sharp edges and gaps filled with mastic. Also there were rivets used to fix the material at the front that looked like they were under pressure when the roof was up.

For it's faults (mostly to do with putting it down) the Danbury roof is much neater and (IMO) much more flexible, providing more 'real' usable space.

A side opening roof could be the best of both however a choice of colours in whichever style would be a winner!

________________________________________________________________________________
Freedom, in style...

Last edited by Tallulah on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi Talulah,

I agree about the finish.., the Danburys are finished better.

But the Westfalia rear hinge design is better, nice ventilation and a larger bed with no weight limit plus a pretty coloured canvas!

Im taking on board what is being said about the side roof though..!

That would of been in a Moonraker and Viking.

www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Different colour options would definitely be a great idea.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 2:29 pm

The standing area inside the aperture of the Danbury roof seems bigger to me, even with the bedboards folded.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

What pop top do you prefer ? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 2:53 pm

I love the old Dormobile roof, loads of headroom and nice windows at the side, especially good for the taller Brazibayer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi the danbury is good but colour choices and some forms of window / waterproof zipped vent would be nice to save stooping to look out.I do prefer the look of the "space" roof tbh tho.
Back to top Go down
Gina Tonic

Gina Tonic

Cabin : Exec 020

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 3:53 pm

I do like the Danbury, it is neater but the grey is so boring. I would much prefer a colour canvas option and even an offer of a sun canopy in a quirky matching colour.
Back to top Go down
Bileos

Bileos

Cabin : Exec 005

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi, I think the Danbury is better but would much prefer to have a nice colour choice to coordinate with the Kombi colour. I would also worry about the space roof in a high wind...have experienced some with my Danbury and that was a little scary but with the extra height and angle of the space roof it just looks like it would take a lot more buffeting.  If i had the choice and money I would definitely change to a stripy coloured material.

Has anyone with a Danbury pop top looked at dyeing the material?
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 5:15 pm

I feel another factor should be the practical element of using the roof space as an area for sleeping.
I've slept up there on one occasion and it wasn't a pleasurable experience. Our 12 year old describes it as going up into the 'coffin' and it is a real performance getting the mattress and bedding up there each night.
I'm with Voyager - A Dormobile style roof with side windows would be a great addition.
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 pm

I like the look of the space roof, have not seen it up close so can't comment on the workmanship. One of our members, Jboa, who lives close to me has a Westy style roof fitted by VW down under, looks really nice. I think this style gives more room for sleeping in, but I guess slightly less head room towards the back.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 6:35 pm

We have the Danbury pop top roof and we must say that we doo not like the hassle you have with it up and down.
Scooby doo like the Westfalia type roof design but we have seen one Space Roof and we had concerns about quality.
Our preference would be to have the Westfalia type roof, but electrically operated like the T5 type of roof.
We would also like a matching white plastic roof/rack similar to the original Westfalia roof over the cab roof (but the Brazi Bay cab roof is obviously taller).
Coloured fabric and zipped windows would also be attractive.
Saying all of the above, we doo not have plans to change what we have.

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Much prefer the look of the Westy style once it's lowered, the Danbury one just looks like a box stuck on top of the Kombi. The ease of which the Danbury goes up is OK but it's such a faff putting it down. Anything that's electrically operated is a huge plus for me, I'm lazy.

What pop top do you prefer ? Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
RayC

RayC

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 pm

for my 2 p worth if you are designing a new one

I was sure I had seen alternative fabric options somewhere on the web? anyway

Can you make the new roof allow the matress to be stored with roof down the Danbury one doesn't

the rolling of the fabric to put it down is a pain can you make it concertina or sort itself out

can you make the bed board fold more or have more locking places to the rear mine is in the middle and if you put roof up its high risk of brain injury as its very camouflaged with the roof - also lighter bed board they are really heavy on your own and makes the centre of gravity of the van higher

mine is 2008 model and it damages the paint on the roof with storage very annoying

vents would be nice

Back to top Go down
http://treadltd@gmail.com
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm

This was our roof before we got the Danbury pop top fitted
What pop top do you prefer ? 300409052

When I fitted my sheepswool insulation after the pop top was fitted.....
What pop top do you prefer ? 080410004

What pop top do you prefer ? 080410003
...I was horrified to find that the wooden structure was fibreglassed to the metal roof, unfortunately I do not have a picture to show this.

So my first requirement would be for metal to be welded into the roof to put the strength back into the bus which is lost when cutting a big hole in the roof.  As I do a lot of work on my own camper this is obvious when you jack up the vehicle and it is difficult to close a door as the body is twisting out of shape.

Concertina canvas with window or open air zippers and various colour options

Electrically operated hence concertina canvas

More of a lower profile like Reimo/Hilo roofs on T5's so no sides on the roof to prevent paint damage from pop top vibration.

Capability to retrofit your roof to existing Danbury converted campers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What pop top do you prefer ?   What pop top do you prefer ? Empty

Back to top Go down

What pop top do you prefer ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: Brazilian VW Bay Bizness :: The Showroom :: VW Kampers-
Jump to: