brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

New Wheels - choosing tyres

Go down 
+3
TimV
Tallulah
sundialsoft
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

New Wheels - choosing tyres Empty
PostSubject: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyWed 7 Jun 2017 - 9:13

We are considering white alloy EMPI by SSP  5x112 5.5" diameter 15" 20 mil offset from coolair or other supplier.

Staying with the standard ride height I want to go in to National Tyres (Simon recommended them) and get them to order and fit the wheels with new tyres.

I have read the posts about tyres that were suggested in the past so I just need to be told what to ask for. We want bog standard good quality tyres which look and work ok on the van and which are the correct commercial rating. Not driving in snow, general summertime driving including long distance.

Any help will be much appreciated.

185x55x15 or 185x65x15 are the sizes suggested by coolair.

what is rating 88H seen on another post ? is that the commercial rating? I can get this rating in National Tyres
eg: 85/60 R15 tyres rated at 88H
My current tyres have 99 / 97 N on them . Michelin do not do tyres of that rating

thanks

ps: the originals say 185r14c (as you know), should I retain the old wheels and tyres ?

Ian

________________________________________________________________________________
what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyWed 7 Jun 2017 - 13:24

Tyres for our Kombi Sleepover need to have a load rating of at least 88 (560kg) but should ideally be XL (extra load) rated, at least at the rear.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyWed 7 Jun 2017 - 20:23

Max runs on Michelin Energy Savers - really smooth quiet tyres - 185/65/15 (88) - going for the 65 tyre wall on a standard height BraziBay makes the wheels fill the arches better.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

New Wheels - choosing tyres Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyThu 8 Jun 2017 - 9:04

We've got 185/60/15(88). If either 55 or 65 would be alright, I don't see why 60 wouldn't be. All of the 88 rated tyres seem to be XL rated anyway. I don't worry about speed rating, we're not going to go that fast! Ray Collier, who is a tyre expert, advises against having too low a profile on alloy wheels, they seem to be prone to failure. We get our tyres from Black Circles, their prices are great, their website will show you an excellent range of tyres with plenty of information, and we get them fitted by the local garage which services our van. I have had previous bad experience with using a tyre centre which wasn't familiar with our vans.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyThu 8 Jun 2017 - 10:03

@Voyager your BraziBay is lowered hence the gap between the wheel arch and the top of the tyre is less - which makes fitting 60 height tyres more appropriate. Fitting 60s on a standard height Kombi can make the wheels look like a Matchbox car! Wink

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyThu 8 Jun 2017 - 19:07

TimV wrote:
@Voyager your BraziBay is lowered hence the gap between the wheel arch and the top of the tyre is less - which makes fitting 60 height tyres more appropriate. Fitting 60s on a standard height Kombi can make the wheels look like a Matchbox car! Wink

That's just a hint to get the lowering stick out! Wink
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyFri 9 Jun 2017 - 14:13

The wheels are here and they look lovely. Tyres are on order.

Just need to source VW stickers for centre caps. I know they have been discussed here but all my searches draw a blank so I will go search some more.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyFri 9 Jun 2017 - 15:05

sundialsoft wrote:

Just need to source VW stickers for centre caps. I know they have been discussed here but all my searches draw a blank so I will go search some more.
ebay
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptySat 10 Jun 2017 - 20:26

dazdub wrote:
sundialsoft wrote:

ebay

Yep, thanks Das, got some Wolfsburg ones which match the window winders and gearstick knob.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Dee James

Cabin : Exec 086

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 11:19

TimV wrote:
Max runs on Michelin Energy Savers - really smooth quiet tyres - 185/65/15 (88) - going for the 65 tyre wall on a standard height BraziBay makes the wheels fill the arches better.

Glad i read this @TimV just had two hubcaps fall off and only found one so given the tires are the same as when we got Sulley and not matching i'm thinking it's time for alloys . . .
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 11:23

Dee James wrote:
TimV wrote:

Glad i read this @TimV just had two hubcaps fall off and only found one so given the tires are the same as when we got Sulley and not matching i'm thinking it's time for alloys . . .

Smart move! Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Dee James

Dee James

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 14:42

TimV wrote:
Dee James wrote:
TimV wrote:

Smart move! Basketball

I think so @TimV, who knows how long the current tires have been on there and I reckon the alloys I'm looking at will suit Sulley.

I'm going for 185/65/15 as advised but as I'm usualy loaded up I'm thinking 92 XL rather than 88

Last edited by Dee James on Tue 9 Jun 2020 - 16:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Dee James

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 18:43

Dee James wrote:
TimV wrote:
Dee James wrote:
TimV wrote:

Smart move! Basketball

I think so @TimV, who knows how long the current tires have been on there and I reckon the alloys I'm looking at will suit Sulley.

I'm going for 185/65/15 as advised but as I'm usualy loaded up I'm thinking 92 XL rather than 88

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 18:53

Plan.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 19:35

We're also using Michelin Energy Savers on the front. I'll change the back ones too when they are due. I was originally advised by Ray Collier when I was having problems with uneven wear on the front tyres. Ray's business is in tyre testing, so he really knows his stuff. He explained the reasons for his recommendation, but most of it went over my head. Suffice to say, the uneven wear problems went away. We've got a lowered van, so we went for 185/60R15 88H. That's more than enough load rating for us, but then we are only ever travelling with two on board.
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Dee James

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 19:48

Voyager wrote:
We're also using Michelin Energy Savers on the front. I'll change the back ones too when they are due. I was originally advised by Ray Collier when I was having problems with uneven wear on the front tyres. Ray's business is in tyre testing, so he really knows his stuff. He explained the reasons for his recommendation, but most of it went over my head. Suffice to say, the uneven wear problems went away. We've got a lowered van, so we went for 185/60R15 88H. That's more than enough load rating for us, but then we are only ever travelling with two on board.

I'm looking at Nankang's because of the load rating and I've had them before and found them to be pretty good for the money. I could step down to 88 but for us with 4 on board and everything else we pack 92 is a better bet
Back to top Go down
simonnat

simonnat

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyFri 14 Apr 2023 - 13:44

TimV wrote:

Tim I want to get new tyres but think i should boost to 92 weight This means I need to go to 65 height They are currently 60 height Do you think they would fit under Bella's arches?
Also. Would you change the tyres now as they are 9 years old?
Thanks
Si
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres EmptyFri 14 Apr 2023 - 16:57

simonnat wrote:
TimV wrote:

Tim  I want to get new tyres but think i should boost to 92 weight  This means I need to go to 65 height  They are currently 60 height  Do you think they would fit under Bella's arches?
Also.  Would you change the tyres now as they are 9 years old?
Thanks
Si

Yes x2

@brazilianvwbay

simonnat likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   New Wheels - choosing tyres Empty

Back to top Go down

New Wheels - choosing tyres
Page 1 of 1