brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Tango's Spaceroof

Go down 
+8
harryhornet
Rachelvw
gordonmac
AnotherBlueOne
Skytiger
dazdub
Scooby
Dee James
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

tango - Tango's Spaceroof Empty
PostSubject: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 pm

I wanted Tango to be a full 4 berth camper.  The decision as to which pop top I'd have fitted was made by 2 factors: ease of operation and the fact that my son (now 17) was starting to find the upper deck in Max a bit claustrophobic.  Tango was booked into Spaceroofs just over a week ago and I picked him up yesterday from their Okehampton base, in pretty horrendous weather - heavy winds and rain.  But hey, we've all had that drive haven't we?!!

The spec I went for was orange canvas to match the paintwork, grey headlining to match that in the cab area, a light cream for the bed mattress to compliment Tango's tan leather interior.  Of course I had the advantage that Tango was a tintop Kombi, so that made the job more straightforward (and a little cheaper) than if converting a BraziBay already fitted with a Danbury pop top, but here's the results:

tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7418
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7419
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_6615
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_6616
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_6617
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7420
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7422
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7421
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Fullsi12
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Fullsi11
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Fullsi13
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Fullsi14
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Fullsi15
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7510
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7511
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Fullsi16
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7512
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7513
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7515
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7514
tango - Tango's Spaceroof Img_7516

As you can see the grey plastic headlining panels that are part of the Danbury install are now gone.  I have them if anyone needs a spare.  Pm me.  The rear speakers and spotlights have gone, to be reinstalled in another location, but the original strip lights have a new home.  The roof is simple to operate.  As it's held down by ratchet straps on both sides, these are simply released, as the popper that holds the front section of the canvas rolled up.  A simple push and the roof is elevated via the pneumatic struts.  Lowering is the reverse of these actions.  There is room for a sleeping bag/duvet on top of the bed when the roof is lowered.  

As you can see I also went for the classic type roof rack on the front as I was after the Westy look.

I'm a happy chap! Basketball

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

tango - Tango's Spaceroof Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Dee James

Cabin : Exec 086

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Looks great Tim, love the Westy look
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 5:01 pm

We doo like the 'Westy look' too! Cool

Interested to know if the area over the cab incorporates a plastic roof rack - if so does it have any anchor points for strapping etc.

Looking forward to seeing Tango in person sometime during 2018.

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Very nice roof Smile
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm

For those of you interested, I'm in discussions with Spaceroofs to create a Westy style roof rack that will fit in front of a Danbury poptop. More details real soon. Will be self-install.

The roof rack has no bottom so you just see the top of the cab roof. This can be part of the development if we get these created. Idea

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Very nice Smile

Any reinforcement put back into the bus to compensate for a the original roof removal?
Back to top Go down
AnotherBlueOne

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I would be interested to know how does ease/difficulty/fiddliness of putting the roof down compare with Danbury's? And security of clamping shut once down?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm

AnotherBlueOne wrote:
I would be interested to know how does ease/difficulty/fiddliness of putting the roof down compare with Danbury's? And security of clamping shut once down?

First off it's half the job as you're only pulling one end down. You just need to watch the canvas towards the rear that it doesn't accidentally get caught in the scissor hinges, but only an issue if there's a side-wind I'd guess. The canvas naturally folds inside the aperture, once down you slip the straps through the guides and lock it down. Another reason I went for the Westy style rack is the shape causes the airflow to go over the top of the roof. The little spoiler that Spaceroofs sell would also do the same. As Pete told me yesterday, they've yet to have a roof pop up on the go. Nope I'm not on commission.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Skytiger wrote:
Very nice Smile

Any reinforcement put back into the bus to compensate for a the original roof removal?

Think there's at least one crossmember. I'll check next time.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 10:45 pm

I had been thinking of spaceroof recently as it’s a bit tight up there, meaning pals reluctant to stay.

The drive to Okehampton is rather far from Glasgow though! Did you manage to get a club discount?

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 pm

gordonmac wrote:
Did you manage to get a club discount?

You can only get club discounts if you can guarantee multiple orders.

@brazilianvwbay

22CC likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rachelvw

Rachelvw

Cabin : Exec 099

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

I won a 300 pound off voucher for these I think in that raffle we done last year if anyone has a use for it they can have it if it’s still valid I will try and find the email.
Back to top Go down
Rachelvw

Rachelvw

Cabin : Exec 099

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Sorry it’s for 200
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Rachelvw - Our friends at Space Roofs very kindly offered a £200 voucher off any purchase for our on-line auction last year - the closing date was May 4th (be with you - it was all to fit in with the space theme!). The email you are looking for is therefore likely to be in May 2017 or soon thereafter.

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
oldskoolsboy

oldskoolsboy

Cabin : Exec 101

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 pm

A good choice Tim, I would recommend these hinges.                                  https://www.buttysbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Westfalia_Roof_bed_hinges_T2B_BB-085-3-1-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 pm

Out of interest Tim, would you consider changing Max’s poptop for a Spaceroof?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm

harryhornet wrote:

Don't know. Ask me in 6 months!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm

oldskoolsboy wrote:
A good choice Tim, I would recommend these hinges.                                  https://www.buttysbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Westfalia_Roof_bed_hinges_T2B_BB-085-3-1-1.jpg

What do these enable?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
oldskoolsboy

oldskoolsboy

Cabin : Exec 101

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 am

Originally fitted on a westy upper bed. They attach to the loose panel enabling you to swing (like a clam) when making bed up. Have a look on you tube. Westfalia The pop top bed
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am

Ta.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
ZippyBay

ZippyBay

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 2:41 pm

TimV wrote:
harryhornet wrote:

Hi Tim - what's your thoughts on the space roof now after making the change? Our son was ill over the weekend and I ended up top and vowed never to go up top again as-is. We love our camper but the roof is becoming a sticking point. I'm a bit reluctant to cut more out of the roof and worried the cross member put in as a strengthener will get in the way.

I spent ages looking around the net on Sunday and it looks like the space roof or there appears to be a company Durham way that can fit a wedge roof to the existing hole but put a smaller fibreglass top on but then it needs a wind deflector. Ideally we'd like a wedge with the exiting roof re-purposed. If cutting the roof up then maybe something more like the full length devon roof but that just doesn't seem to be offered by anyone other than refurb. Any thoughts on roof replacements with your VWKampers hat on?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 9:28 pm

ZippyBay wrote:
TimV wrote:
harryhornet wrote:

Hi Tim - what's your thoughts on the space roof now after making the change? Our son was ill over the weekend and I ended up top and vowed never to go up top again as-is. We love our camper but the roof is becoming a sticking point. I'm a bit reluctant to cut more out of the roof and worried the cross member put in as a strengthener will get in the way.  

I spent ages looking around the net on Sunday and it looks like the space roof or there appears to be a company Durham way that can fit a wedge roof to the existing hole but put a smaller fibreglass top on but then it needs a wind deflector. Ideally we'd like a wedge with the exiting roof re-purposed. If cutting the roof up then maybe something more like the full length devon roof but that just doesn't seem to be offered by anyone other than refurb. Any thoughts on roof replacements with your VWKampers hat on?

Thanks

Give some serious thought to how long you will actually need to accommodate someone in the pop top longterm. If it's a definite requirement for some years then I'd sell your current Kombi and buy one with a Spaceroof.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
ZippyBay

ZippyBay

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 10:54 am

Hi Tim - thanks for the response and we had started to come to the self-conclusion it was a live with it or change it situation. In a few years our son probably won't want to be going away with Mum and Dad so it won't be a problem after that (but he'll then want to pinch the van for himself!). After getting some of the quirks ironed out on our van we like it too much to change it.

TimV likes this post

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 10:56 am

Correct answer!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
22CC

22CC

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 2:00 pm

Hi  @TimV love the roof upgrade you've had on Tango.

Another Tim here, new to the forum having just taken ownership of my own tin-top Brazilian. I'm very much in the market for a roof as we've two children. Space Roofs seem to fit the bill best, and your detailed pictures have been really really helpful!

Hoping you can assist me with a few questions...

1. Judging by the look of your fabric, am I right in assuming you upgraded to the Sauleda canopy?
2. You mentioned the removal of rear speakers and spots, and that both need re-homing.  I am interested to know how Space Roofs left the loose ends and wiring after their removal. Did they do a good job here?
3. Where did you end up re-homing the rear speakers?

Thanks!
Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Spaceroof   tango - Tango's Spaceroof Empty

Back to top Go down

Tango's Spaceroof
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: