brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

CO2 alarm - help!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Simon Robson

Cabin : Club

CO2 alarm - help! Empty
PostSubject: CO2 alarm - help!   CO2 alarm - help! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 4:26 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me! I've a CO2 alarm that is going off. I've removed the Calor gas bottle for the oven. I've removed the small gas canisters whcih I have for outdoor cooking - yet the alarm (and a spare one I replaced it with) still detects CO2.

It's stationary right now and my powers of detection tell me it only seems to go on if I have it plugged in to the main power. So, on the basis of no question too stupid - is the battery causing the alarm to go off? Or can someone enlighten me as to another possible reason?

Thanks if you can - I'm going nuts!
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

CO2 alarm - help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CO2 alarm - help!   CO2 alarm - help! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2021 7:17 pm

Recently read a letter in magazine which said that CO (carbon monoxide) detectors can be set off by hydrogen. They described their detector being triggered by hydrogen released during charging of the leisure battery.
When your CO detector is on mains power does this coincide with a possibility of hydrogen release from your battery?
osg

Simon Robson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alfy

Alfy

CO2 alarm - help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CO2 alarm - help!   CO2 alarm - help! EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 12:16 am

Hi. Batteries produce Hydrogen at the “later stage” of being fully charged, So try not to continually charge the battery. It does not produce any hydrogen if it’s not being charged

The cheaper detector are generally the ones that pick up on hydrogen. But I’ve not looked into getting a CO detector that doesn’t pick up on hydrogen, as I like the idea it does

If you’re on hookup when camping and are having this problem, try switching the charger off overnight. I presume you have an isolater switch next to your leisure battery. Don’t bother unhooking the hookup.

If you’re at home only hook up ( charge battery) prior to a trip as all your battery “drains” should be off. (Inside lights, fridge) you can check this with an Multimeter for any unknown drains.
If your leisure battery is not holding charge with nothing on, maybe it’s time for a new one.

If it starts smelling of bad eggs. Stop using it ! Vent area ! and replace it. That’s  H2S hydrogen sulfide it’s highly poisonous and your battery is beyond repair  Do not be tempted to keep using it , the more H2S in the atmosphere the bad egg smell disappear a bit like going “nose blind”

If you are charging your starter battery use a smart charger as this will protect it from being over charged and can be connected continuously. I use a NOCO Genius2, other on this site use CTEK MXS5

Alfy-blue

Back to top Go down
lukevk

lukevk

Cabin : Exec 083

CO2 alarm - help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CO2 alarm - help!   CO2 alarm - help! EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 5:20 pm

I would say most definitely battery related

Back to top Go down
https://www.vankampers.co.uk/brazilian-vw-t2-kombi-spares/
Simon Robson

CO2 alarm - help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CO2 alarm - help!   CO2 alarm - help! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2021 10:57 am

Thank to you all for your help on this - it all makes sense!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CO2 alarm - help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CO2 alarm - help!   CO2 alarm - help! Empty

Back to top Go down

CO2 alarm - help!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: