brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
twinklep

twinklep

Cabin : Club

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? Empty
PostSubject: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 11:05 am

as above
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 12:04 am

twinklep wrote:
as above

I bought a set from here:

https://www.vwclassicclub.com/en/vw-classic-club-pacalik-siyah-takim-1200

Good price and very similar to the original VW flaps. The brackets are flimsy & incorrect though, but I suppose you could make them work.

I used these brackets instead, the last two sets shown are for T2B, the fronts fit exactly the same as all years of original German bay fitment. For the rears, additional small brackets need to be bolted to the engine mounting bar on each side, as our T2C's engine mount metalwork is different to the T2B, but the end result looks exactly as the original VW late German fitment:

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=mud-flap-mounts

I'm not aware of any OE type Brazilian flaps, so thought the late German bay look would be most suitable

Last edited by Favguy on Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

twinklep likes this post

Back to top Go down
twinklep

twinklep

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 6:19 pm

thanks for this really aprreciate it - u got any photos of them fixed in place?

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyWed Sep 13, 2023 1:36 am

twinklep wrote:
thanks for this really aprreciate it - u got any photos of them fixed in place?

Not just yet, as I'm on with fitting them at the minute, I'll get you some when I'm done, but might be a week or so yet.

twinklep likes this post

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyMon Sep 18, 2023 2:45 am

OK, I got the rear flaps brackets fitted. You need to get 2 additional brackets to adapt the T2B fitment to our T2C buses due to the different engine mount position. I also found I needed to drill 2 more holes in each of the rear bracket sections so the holes line up with the front mounting brackets once they were mounted in the correct place on the wheel arch tubs.

This is the correct additional bracket size to start with 70mm x 70mm x 55mm, 2.5mm thick. Readily available on ebay. Just Cut down and drill to suit. The brackets, when finished replace the heavy washer under the rear engine bar bolts. Don't use the washer as well as the bolts are not long enough for both! I cut one 70mm side of the brackets down to 38mm. There's no point in me giving you the exact finished measurements for the other side, or the hole positions, as each fitment will vary from bus to bus due to the low accuracy body build/jigging of our buses done largely by hand. I found my left and right side wheel arch panel work to chassis rail positioning to be about 5mm different on each side!, so the brackets were cut and drilled differently to suit.

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? 20230913

And after working the left side bracket, to give you an idea of how they end up.

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? 20230915

The picture below shows, arrowed in red, (hidden by the bolts here) where I drilled the additional holes in the brackets, to the inside of the original holes. Again your own bus will most likely vary, so try them up and measure and mark (twice!) before any drilling.

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? 20230914

Here's the finished mounting, exactly like VW intended back in the T2B days. I've yet to fit the flaps obviously, but I reckon this is the best fitting option by far as it looks totally OEM and it gets the flaps in exactly the right place behind the wheels. Smile

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? 20230916

As for the front, this is how they mount OEM style, you don't need to alter the brackets for this, they're identical to earlier buses. The outriggers are thick where you need to drill, so I'd recommend drilling and tapping for M5 bolts rather than self tapping.

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? 15919610

Hope this helps.

twinklep likes this post

Back to top Go down
twinklep

twinklep

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyTue Sep 19, 2023 12:07 pm

Would u consider doing this for a fee to my Bus ? Very Happy I do weatherproofing type repairs but not drilling holes in metal Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 1:50 pm

twinklep wrote:
Would u consider doing this for a fee to my Bus ?  Very Happy I do weatherproofing type repairs but not drilling holes in metal Very Happy

I you were local to me, I might be persuaded, although even now I've figured out the best approach, I reckon it's a good 3 hours work minimum to do all four, so I'd not be enthusiastic about doing it, as I can barely find enough time to do anything to my own bus!  

I don't think we're close though, I'm in North Lincs, about 160 miles away from you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?   anyone know where i can get mud flaps ? Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone know where i can get mud flaps ?
Page 1 of 1