brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? Empty
PostSubject: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:41 am

A percentage of the owners amongst us have experienced the odd derogatory remark about our rides. These normally take the shape of 'it's not a real one though is it' or 'is that one of those fake ones' etc etc ... you get the picture.

So on that basis, reading about the thousands of pounds people are content to throw at a Classic Bay to bring it up to 'show winning standard' - I ask the question - how much of the Volkswagen is actually left of these restored/refurbished T2s? In my view, if you replace everything bar the shell of the vehicle then you're not really buying a Volkswagen - it's a RestoredWagen! Let's for argument say that the shell constitutes 25% of the original vehicle and the remaining 75% is all new kit: engine, gearbox, electrics, interior fittings etc and none of the new stuff fitted was made by VW - is it right to say that the vehicle is still a Volkswagen?

One thing I'm very content about, is that my Kombi is more Volkswagen than it is anything else.

Discuss!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 am

Most classic are restored using Brazilian parts and the more work that is done the more Brazilian they become Smile
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:59 am

Good point daz!

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 am

My brother restored an Austin Healey to concourse condition, and whenever he entered it into the club competitions the judging took into consideration the replacement parts used, ie they had to be original Healey parts...... so in my humble opinion if your buying a restored van where the parts are not original Vw parts for that year/spec of vehicle then to call it original is a porkie! (sorry in advance Peppa) pig
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 am

Morning Jon - I mean irishman!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 am

Our Kombis are no less VW than a new Golf/Polo etc, restored Dubs are quite likely to be made up of non VW parts so by definition are LESS VW than ours!

PS: Happy Birthday Tim!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
irishman

irishman

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Reminds of the sketch in 'Only fools and horses', the one with Trigger and his broom,
" had my broom for twenty years, it's had three new heads and four handles, but it's the same old broom"......... really? sig 'Jon'

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:37 pm

peppa wrote:
Ignorance comes in many forms,mostly splitscreen,early bay window and late bay window...

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"...Martin Luther King

pig

Go peppa!!!!!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Yeah, just what I wus finkin'
Back to top Go down
eddy

eddy

Cabin : Exec 014

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Tim,

I think this has been clarified in the latest (feb) edition of volksworld camper and bus page 97 "Klapps clinic" two questions were asked, to quote:-

1. How long did VW build the T4?
Answer: So simple. It was built for 14 years, making it the second most lived transporter in VW's history.

2. What was the most?
Answer: The Bay Window of course! Built from 1968 until this very day.

QED

regards,

Eddy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?   When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is a Volkswagen not a Volkswagen?
Page 1 of 1