brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Carbon Monoxide Warning

Go down 
+5
irishman
Sunny
jj123vw
TimV
harryhornet
9 posters
AuthorMessage
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

Carbon Monoxide Warning Empty
PostSubject: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Too many of these tragic stories but first I've heard from a campervan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19506458

I've actually fitted a carbon monoxide detector into my Kombi. You can't be too safe.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Part of the reason as to why I like my Fiamma Air Vent HH, it has a permanent airflow - whether on the move or static.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Carbon Monoxide Warning Melogo11
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Tragic....BBQ's should always be done outside and well away from the vehicle with good air flow needed (not in an awning etc!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Where do we stand with cooking in van with gas hob with all windows closed,don't say in front!!!! Is this not a fuel burning device requiring air ventilation,I always keep a window open ,but have heard of folk not doing this!! And useing it to "warm up the van "!! What are the suggested regulations ? Anyone have any ideas?

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 7:18 am

I think for the time you're using the stove, assuming it's properly adjusted and provided it's just cooking, you'll be ok. The problem with BBQs is they chuck out a huge amount of CO.

(the following from Wiki)

Concentration Source
0.1 ppm Natural atmosphere level (MOPITT)[37]
0.5 to 5 ppm Average level in homes[38]
5 to 15 ppm Near properly adjusted gas stoves in homes[38]
100 to 200 ppm Exhaust from automobiles in the Mexico City central area[39]
5,000 ppm Exhaust from a home wood fire[40]
7,000 ppm Undiluted warm car exhaust without a catalytic converter[40]

Concentration Symptoms
35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.
[edit]
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 7:49 am

You have to admit though, to have a BBQ inside your you would have to be pretty dam stupid, wouldn't you?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 8:01 am

The gas bottles we use contain Butane.

When Butane burns in air the chemical reaction produces carbon dioxide and water but NOT carbon monoxide, the later being the silent killer. So, while it's a good idea to have some ventilation, it's not overly critical - although your camper will steam up!

The balancing equation is:

2 C4H10 + 13 O2 --> 8 CO2 + 10 H2O

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

Tallulah wrote:
The gas bottles we use contain Butane.

When Butane burns in air the chemical reaction produces carbon dioxide and water but NOT carbon monoxide, the later being the silent killer. So, while it's a good idea to have some ventilation, it's not overly critical - although your camper will steam up!

The balancing equation is:

2 C4H10 + 13 O2 --> 8 CO2 + 10 H2O
True (and great chemistry Smile ) but butane rarely burns cleanly. In a less than ideal burn a degree of CO will be produced.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:25 am

study Thanks Prof. Tallulah. I think you just volunteered to be the club's Head of Science!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Carbon Monoxide Warning Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am

Quote :
True (and great chemistry ) but butane rarely burns cleanly. In a less than ideal burn a degree of CO will be produced.

I agree, but not in anything remotely like the concentration produced by a BBQ, probably < 100ppm.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

There are plenty of detectors to choose from guys - see link below for a small selection

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Scooby thinks everyone should have one
We are certainly going to get one before camping again

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:41 pm

So does all this mean I can't put my woodburning stove into my van in place of the cooker? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lulu

Lulu

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 pm

irishman wrote:
So does all this mean I can't put my woodburning stove into my van in place of the cooker? Shocked

lol!

The first section of Lulu's 'manual' is dedicated to CO safety. She also has a CO detector installed. They're cheap as chips so no reasons not to have one IMO.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 pm

irishman wrote:

Of course you can, providing the flue is setup correctly and dumps all the nasty stuff outside!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Just a little tip re Carbon Monoxide detectors. Mine has a very irritating flashing green light. Fine during the day but really annoying at night when trying to sleep. Worth looking for one without this feature. The problem was solved by putting an Elastoplast over it!
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 pm

When I bought a new T4 autosleeper trooper it came with a corgi certificate (now Safe gas) and an electrical test. Your gas flexible hose has a five year life and the regulator 10 year. Maybe just piece of mind to get your van inspected. Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Wise words from the men who can!!!!! Thanks for that,you only have to ask the question and bingo there's the answer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carbon Monoxide Warning   Carbon Monoxide Warning Empty

Back to top Go down

Carbon Monoxide Warning
Page 1 of 1