brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Fitting Internal LED Lights

Go down 
+6
Scooby
michel_bonn
lynnand steve
harryhornet
TimV
AbsintheKombi
10 posters
AuthorMessage
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Empty
PostSubject: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Tim has asked me to do a few words about fitting the LED internal lights in Absinthe. In reality, Dennis (Tim) should be credited as the expert -it was his blue lights that Alison and I saw at the 2013 Sleepover and his advice on fitting that finally got me to finish the job.

What you'll need:

A set of lights - Tim pointed me towards these:

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Bb_lig10
lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Bb_lig12
lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Bb_lig14

Two switches - I used these: Green Illuminated Switch
Most importantly one of these (or something similar): Cable Access Kit
Philips screwdriver
A 22mm hole cutter for the lights
I used a 19mm hole cutter for the illuminate switches
Some spare wire, soldering/crimping equipment, a knife.

The first job is to mark out the position you want each light - I used four from the pack of 10, on each side. Tim put two on the back panel as well but I decided not to have any there.

Here are some pics of Tim's that he sent me to assist in positioning:

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Tim_s_10
lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Tim_s_11
lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Tim_s_12

I drilled a small pilot hole for each one and one each for the two switches. Then, using the hole cutter, cut the 22mm holes (be brave - I was quite nervous about this bit but after the first one, and doing the cuts carefully, I was happy to do the others - I did a test cut on the box for the lights to make sure the lights and switches would fit).

The lights all fasten together with male and female connectors and I think that Tim removed them to bring all the wires back to the rear. I found that I could use the existing fittings on all the lights except the front ones where the run was slightly too long. I extended the wires, but kept the connectors.

The fiddly bit is pulling the wire from one light back to the next hole. Until I bought the cable access kit I was really struggling but once I had the rods it was relatively straightforward. On the first set I removed the fluorescent fitting (the trick to getting the cover off is to press quite firmly until it pops off - I was worried that the plastic would crack but I got them off with no issues) - Tim suggested that I cut a hole behind the light to get access to the wires which I did on the first set. Once the wires were in place behind the plastic panel, I put the fluorescent fitting back on and you couldn't see the "spare" hole I'd cut.

Working backwards towards the existing spot lamps was quite straightforward although there is some foam insulation near the spot lamps which makes getting the wires through, and the LED light in, tricky - I cut a little of the foam away to make life easier. I took the spot lamp housing off which gave decent access at the back - I actually took the speaker out as well on the first side but found I managed without on the second side once I knew what I was doing.

Once all 4 LEDs were in I needed to wire them into the original Danbury wiring which powered the spot lamps. This was when Tim got regular texts and phone conversations to make sure I was doing everything right. If you're at all practical and know your way around basic electrics you'll be fine. I'm not, hence the assistance needed!

This is where you need some spare wire to connect to the switch.  Amazingly, once I'd wired them up they actually worked first time. Result!

Fitting the second set was a piece of cake once I knew what I was doing. Fitting the lights for the first set took me 3 hours from marking out to fitting, plus another couple of hours to connect up. I did everything on the second set in 2 hours from start to finish, without having to take the fluorescent fitting off, and I didn't need to remove the speaker either. Extending the wiring on the second light to meet the first one at the front before fitting made life much easier and I'd got the hang of the best technique with the rods by then too.

If you've got any queries - I'll try and answer them but all, in all, I'm really pleased with the effect. I'll post some more pics when it's dark to show how they look.

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015

Last edited by AbsintheKombi on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks Abs - good job.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Melogo11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 4:01 pm

I thought I'd add the pics which Tim sent me of the wiring on his van together with my wiring diagram (if you can call it that!)  

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Wiring10

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Wiring11

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Diagra10

B (Black) and B & W (Black and White) refer to the existing wires attached to the LED lights and the circular thing in the middle shows the spade connections on the illuminated switch.  The Red & Orange wires are the ones Danbury fit to the spot lamps - Red, as you'd expect, is the live.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 pm

The lights at dusk:

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Night10

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Night110

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Night210

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Nice work. I''d like to wire my LED's into the main wiring loop. After reading this I think I might give it a go. Thanks for all the info.
Back to top Go down
lynnand steve

lynnand steve

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Looks brill
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 am

Looks good

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2-c.de
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 am

FAB ABS!

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Top job Abs  alien

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Looks very nice Abs
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Good job Abs, looking very nice.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Now you've started to explore your 'tech' side I fully expect you to perform an oil and filter change en-route sometime.  Wink 

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Melogo11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Tim wrote:
Now you've started to explore your 'tech' side I fully expect you to perform an oil and filter change en-route sometime.

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Pigs2

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

really looks good ! Think I would need take a brave pill before taking that sort of project on....
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 am

AbsintheKombi wrote:

lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Pigs2
ha, an ad from my one of my previous employers Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fitting Internal LED Lights   lights - Fitting Internal LED Lights Empty

Back to top Go down

Fitting Internal LED Lights
Page 1 of 1