brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Trailer Refurb Project

Go down 
+14
osg
Skytiger
harryhornet
Scooby
Feliz
Sunny
beakyboy
TimV
dizzylizard
absquatulation
dazdub
kiteman
michel_bonn
Tallulah
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Trailer Refurb Project Empty
PostSubject: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 am

I bought a small camping trailer on EBay at the end of last year for £50, with the intention of performing a complete refurb and conversion to a 'more appropriate' trailer to be pulled along behind Tallulah.

The main chassis/frame and hitch is all solid although badly rusted in places, and the wooden base and sides are long past thier best. The suspension and bearings look and feel sound although could do with a proper service and the tyres look very old.

Despite all that, it has already more than paid for itself, saving the cost of at least one skip during some recent building work and has been used to collect and deliver a few loads of fire wood.

With the weather looking good and no immediate need to use it for anything, the refurb project has now started.

Day 1: I began by removing the wooden sides and base, these were held in by a combination of bolts, screws and rivets although as the panels are so old (and no longer needed for anything) a few hits with a lump hammer and they were history.

With the panels removed I could get a good look at the frame and the full extent of the rust, it's not pretty, but the main weld joints and central strength looks good, so no major concerns there.

Trailer Refurb Project Image16

The next job was to grind off all the rivet heads and remove the worst of the rust with a wire brush.

Trailer Refurb Project Image17

Next, I removed the wheels and wheel hubs so I could access the suspension and everything else with the wire brush.

Trailer Refurb Project Image18

Trailer Refurb Project Image19

It turns out the trailer has classic mini rear hubs and wheels 4" PCD.

Day 2: Went to Halfords for supplies, a selection of wire brushes that fit on a power drill or angle grinder and a pot of Hammerite zinc oxide rust treatment, primer.

The plan was to simply replace the bearings and seals, but the hubs themselves look past their best and I found a pair of replacement hubs on EBay that I won for £30 so I will put new (reconditioned) ones on, then eventually clean the originals up and sell them on without bearings.

Did some online research into replacement wheels and tyres, need to take some precise measurements to make sure the ones we want will fit with enough clearance from the frame - learnt all about wheel offset measurements which was nice.

To be continued.....

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:12 am

it looks at much work in the future for the projek. have fun with it.
best to you all, michel

________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2-c.de
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Spent a few hours on the trailer this afternoon, a wire brush attachment on a power drill makes short work of cleaning off old paint, rust and pretty much anything else that gets in its way!

Should be cleaned up ready to paint with some Hammerite zinc oxide by tomorrow, the new wheel hubs should arrive soon too.

Found some nice little 'extras' for making it look the part too, you can find pretty much anything on eBay!!!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 am

Tallulah wrote:
a few hits with a lump hammer and they were history.

Hell yeah! Now your taliking my kind of language

Trailer Refurb Project Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 am

Top job Smile
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 8:52 am

This might be a cheap idea Towsure

I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 am

absquatulation wrote:
This might be a cheap idea Towsure

Thanks absquatulation, but we already know what wheels we want, I just have to make sure they have the correct offset so that they fit.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 am

kiteman wrote:
Tallulah wrote:
a few hits with a lump hammer and they were history.

Hell yeah! Now your taliking my kind of language

I find an angle grinder quite satisfying too!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Update:

Days 3 & 4 - continue to remove rust and paint using various power tools.

Day 5: trailer now cleaned up and re painted with red oxide. Two coats on the underside and all the rustiest areas, 1 coat almost everywhere else, ran out of paint.

Trailer Refurb Project Image20

Now bought some regular black Hammerite and will give everything another coat over the weekend.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

The new wheel hubs arrived today however they have bearings to fit a 1/8" smaller stub axle so consequently are not the ones I need - they will be resold on EBay in due course.

Meanwhile the search begins (again) for replacement hubs that will fit, at least I now know what doesn't fit which apparently includes classic mini rear hubs.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 8:36 am

Don't know whether this will help Tallulah, but it may be cheaper to find bearings with OD to fit your new hubs, with an ID to fit your stub axle, somewhere like this.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-.-Wheel+Bearings/c3_4474_4598/index.html
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 am

Good point Dizzy, nothing wrong with the new hubs themselves, just wrong size bearings. Just need to find bearings with the same OD and width with an ID of 1", providing the complete unit fits length ways on the stub axle which is 2" long.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyMon May 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Still no joy sorting the new hubs, but I am getting closer and will be ordering a pair this week that I have been told will fit. On the plus side, the hubs will have a different PCD which will mean I can fit bigger wheels.

However, I did buy a small sheet if 9mm hardwood ply - enough for the rear panel - trimmed it to size, marked out the position of the light clusters etc and cut them out.

Tallulah is home this week so I'll pop over to B&Q to pick up a larger sheet that will be enough for the base and other sides then get busy with the power tools and figure out the best way of attaching them all.

I've also drawn up some rough plans for the lid, trying to be a bit creative without making t too difficult to actually build.

It's all coming on nicely!  sunny 

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptySat May 10, 2014 9:30 pm

The new hubs arrived on Friday so I greased them up and fitted them to the trailer between showers today.

New hubs plus original washers and castle nuts (nicely cleaned):
Trailer Refurb Project Image26

First I needed to clean up the shafts and give them a light grease, a small piece of wire wool cleaned them up a treat:
Trailer Refurb Project Image27

Then I greased up the inner bearings and fitted them to the hub, slid the hub onto the shaft, loaded it with grease and fitted the outer bearing, washer and castle nut.

I need to pick up two new collet pins to finish the job - quick trip to Halfords in the morning - but other than that I'm very happy with the new shiny hubs, much better than the cream crackered old ones!

Trailer Refurb Project Image28

With the hubs fitted I can take some measurements and order some shiny new wheels with an appropriate offset to make sure they fit.

I've been looking at the hitch on the trailer too, and according to Uncle Google they stopped making them in the 1950s! I could also do with slightly more clearance between Tallulah and the front of the trailer so I think I will remove the existing hitch, pick up a piece of 50mm box section and attach it where the current hitch is fitted, then fit a shiny new hitch to the end of that.

If I get time I will pick up a 4 by 8 sheet of marine ply tomorrow too, then wait for a dry spell to get my power tools out again.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 7:25 am

Had a whole weekend to work the trailer so I've now cut all the side panels to shape, drilled all the holes in the frame to fit them and pilot holes in the panels and given them a coat (white) both sides of sealant - Sandex 10yr guarantee!

Here they are before painting/sealing, held on with clamps:
Trailer Refurb Project Image10

The plan is to give them a light sand and another coat, then I will be applying a top coat colour - now what colour should I choose......

I'll be building an internal frame using 1x1 and 2x1 baton and attaching the panels to that through the existing metal frame. This will add a bit of extra strength as the panels - except for the rear are only 6mm ply (the rear is 9mm).

New wheels are due to arrive today too, need to sort some tyres then measure up for mudguards.

Freedom, in style...

Last edited by Tallulah on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 am

Looking great. All this to carry your unicycle!  Wink 

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Trailer Refurb Project Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 am

We hired a trailer (from Indespension round the corner) for our recent trip to Wales. We were taking more 'stuff' than normal including our kayak and associated items and wanted to trial using a trailer on a longer run in advance of the French trip.

The hired trailer a Daxara 148 with locking hard top, was quite a bit larger than the one I'm refurbishing so we filled it up leaving only bedding clothes and food in Tallulah. Once on site in Wales, we arrived quite late, it was simply a case of unhitching and setting up for sleep mode, done in minutes!

Everything remained securely locked in the trailer until needed the following day. I also removed our bike rack and locked that and the bikes to the trailer too.

It made quite a difference and having testing using a trailer, and once our trailer is ready, I can see us using it quite a bit for the added convenience it offers.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 am

Tallulah wrote:
We hired a trailer (from Indespension round the corner) for our recent trip to Wales. We were taking more 'stuff' than normal including our kayak and associated items and wanted to trial using a trailer on a longer run in advance of the French trip.

The hired trailer a Daxara 148 with locking hard top, was quite a bit larger than the one I'm refurbishing so we filled it up leaving only bedding clothes and food in Tallulah. Once on site in Wales, we arrived quite late, it was simply a case of unhitching and setting up for sleep mode, done in minutes!

Everything remained securely locked in the trailer until needed the following day. I also removed our bike rack and locked that and the bikes to the trailer too.

It made quite a difference and having testing using a trailer, and once our trailer is ready, I can see us using it quite a bit for the added convenience it offers.

Thank you for that Which? report. Now you've got me thinking about it again!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Completed a few more jobs over the weekend.

I sanded all of the panels and gave them another coat of the white sealer. One more even lighter sand and they're ready for a top coat.

I also cut the various lengths of baton that will be used as the internal frame for the panels so aside from painting the panels with a top coat, everything is ready to be fitted together.

My new wheels arrived last week, have now been fitted with some tyres and are now on the trailer.

We're at CamperJam this weekend so not long left to get it finished as the plan is to use it for the France trip.

Things still to sort:

Fit and seal all panels
Mudguards - I have a plan....
Electrics - I have light clusters but still need a number plate light along with some suitable cable and a connector, might find something suitable at CJ.
Misc reflectors and other bits and pieces for legal compliance.
Need to find a spare wheel too, 13" steel rim with a 4x100mm PCD if anyone has one, again in might find something suitable at CJ, 4x100 PCD is standard for older golf and a few others.

I will also be building a locking lid but no chance of completing that before the end of the month so I'll attach some bungee loops and pick up a suitably sized trailer tarp.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:18 pm

You have been a busy boy Keith.. I'm wondering how many bottles of wine you'll fit in on the way back from France?  drunken 
Great work , see you at CJ

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Massive project mate!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

beakyboy wrote:
You have been a busy boy Keith.. I'm wondering how many bottles of wine you'll fit in on the way back from France?  drunken 
Great work , see you at CJ

If I empty out the kayak and other bits that will be in there then the answer is LOTS!

Or..... I move even more stuff into the trailer and load Tallulah up with bottles!  Cool

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Like your thinking Keith..  Laughing 

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Arrrrh! Paint paint paint, which colour should I choose...?  sunny 

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Cutting, trimming, shaping, drilling, polishing and edging.

Newly made mudguards and sleepover auction purchased mudflaps now all ready to be fitted to the trailer.

Trailer Refurb Project Image11

We bought that last few bits we needed at CamperJam last weekend so I've now started on the electrics and got them ready for the 'final fit' of the panels once the top coat of paint has hardened off enough.

I also need to made a few small brackets to attach some 'special' bits at the back.

Getting close now!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Refurb Project   Trailer Refurb Project Empty

Back to top Go down

Trailer Refurb Project
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next