brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Red9Design front end

Go down 
+2
Voyager
MikeGreene
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MikeGreene

Red9Design front end Empty
PostSubject: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 2:59 pm

I know that this topic is over 10 years old but I would like to hear from members who have fitted the Red9 front end?
I bought an 86 Bay - 14 window, a few weeks back and the steering is, as many describe, like steering a boat!
I live in rural France and the winding roads make me scared when driving the old girl!
There is a local VW "expert”, he has a yard full of VW's vans, buses and campers but he has not see the Brazilian before. He is convinced that he can improve the steering by updating some of the track rods etc and maybe a new steering box - but no guarantee that it will be a lot better.

I have been in touch with Red9 and am quite convinced that it is the way to go. I am not sure if my current disk brakes will fit and am a little concerned about the brake servo and steering column, I would truly welcome feedback on the subject
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 am

I think that you will find it difficult to get a specific answer about your 86 14 window. Our Red9 is a 2011 watercooled, and the disc brakes, brake servo and steering column weren't problems. In fact the biggest problem was Danbury's RHD conversion, which left the brake servo on the nearside and installed a connecting rod across the van to the brake pedal. We also have LiteSteer power steering. Most of the Red9 installations are on German-built classic vans, and I don't know to what extent yours might be different. It might be worth checking with Red9 who does installations in France, and taking the van in for somebody to take a look at it.
Back to top Go down
MikeGee

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 9:45 am

Thank you.
Mine is LHD so hopefully won’t have the brake Devi problem
I am going to see my VW man today and have gathered up a load of images from various sites.
I did see on the red9 site that they gave a French agent but looking on their site did not give me oodles of confidence.
So have you been satisfied with the installation?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 10:11 am

Had red9 and litesteer  fitted 5 years ago. Best thing since sliced bread. The installation was carried out by Neil at Litesteer and have had no problems at all. Tim
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 10:59 am

MikeGee wrote:
Thank you.
Mine is LHD so hopefully won’t have the brake Devi problem  
I am going to see my VW man today and have gathered up a load of images from various sites.
I did see on the red9 site that they gave a French agent but looking on their site did not give me oodles of confidence.
So have you been satisfied with the installation?
Thanks  

I think that much of the Red9 website has just been copied across from the previous owners and is out of date. I suggest to phone or email them about French installers. I had two problems with the installation. The first was that the installers (not Red9) removed the front beam and cut the end off the steering column before deciding that they had the wrong bevel box, and it was 6 weeks before we got the van back. The second problem was excessive tyre wear on the inside edges due to misalignment. That was sorted out by a visit to Red9's original owners to sort out tracking, camber and toe.
Back to top Go down
MikeGreene

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback - did you try and fit new parts to the original sytem before deciding to fit the Red9 kit? My (French) VW man seems a little dubious about changing the whole system and thinks that he can just fit new track rod ends and bushes etc and it will be better ..... We have located a new steering box bit at €500 he still won't say that it will be "perfect" with that fitted....
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 3:40 pm

I don't believe you'll get perfection but for a lot less money than buying Red9 you'll at least get a Kombi that feels sharper to drive.

Can you post a pic of your '86 please?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Red9Design front end Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 4:04 pm

MikeGreene wrote:
Thanks for the feedback - did you try and fit new parts to the original sytem before deciding to fit the Red9 kit? My (French) VW man seems a little dubious about changing the whole system and thinks that he can just fit new track rod ends and bushes etc and it will be better ..... We have located a new steering box bit at €500 he still won't say that it will be "perfect" with that fitted....

No, our van is a 2011 and we had Red9 installed in 2015. We had already had the steering box adjusted as far as possible without risking damage. I can't really tell you whether the problem was the Brazilian box not being the same quality as a German, whether we just had a bad one, or whether I was just expecting the precision which you will only get from rack and pinion. I talked to Neil Oakley at LiteSteer about alternative options, and he said that I might not be happy with anything less than LiteSteer. I also wanted the van to be such that any of my family could just jump in and drive it. It isn't cheap, but it's still a reasonable investment if you plan to keep the van a long time. We also have the benefit of much better front suspension, especially since you are sitting right on top of it, more so on rough country roads.
Back to top Go down
MikeGee

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 4:21 pm

Thank you - just what I wanted hear.
How long did it take to fit - I’m thinking a couple of days at least !
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Well 6 weeks in our case! Most of that it was just sitting on the ramp, I think about 2 days. Steve Johnson installed his own, and Alan Crerar has one which he will be installing himself.
Back to top Go down
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 8:53 pm

About 2 weeks, but on water cooled the pipes had to be removed so replaced with stainless while off. Also refitting the anti roll bar and litesteer.
Back to top Go down
brabay

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 12:13 am

Red9 suspension is quite badly designed, as it puts all the front weight of the van onto only 2 bottom ball joints that operate in wrong direction - ie ball joint can be puled out of the suspension arm ( by lets say big pothole).
Most of the steering problems can be resolved by correctly adjusting steering box - ie giving it 90 deg preload around dead centre. Sorting pins bushes ( grease or replacement ) and correct steering geometry will make it run better than you can imagine.
Back to top Go down
http://shift.direct
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 8:13 am

brabay wrote:
Red9 suspension is quite badly designed, as it puts all the front weight of the van onto only 2 bottom ball joints that operate in wrong direction - ie ball joint can be puled out of the suspension arm ( by lets say big pothole).
Most of the steering problems can be resolved by correctly adjusting steering box - ie giving it 90 deg preload around dead centre. Sorting pins bushes ( grease or replacement ) and correct steering geometry will make it run better than you can imagine.

So have you actually heard of a Red9 suspension failing? I haven't, and I've read quite a lot about them, both before and after having ours installed. Our van was only 3 years old when we decided to replace the steering box. It had already been adjusted, and the pins and bushes were fine. To be honest I suspect that the route you suggest is likely to be more viable with a 50 year old German steering box than a 35 year old Brazilian. No harm and not much cost in trying it of course.
Back to top Go down
MikeGreene

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 9:51 am

brabay wrote:

Thanks for you reply - I am concerned that I may be about to payout a few thousand Euros for a solution to the problem of having a vehicle that steers like a boat that is "quite badly designed".
I have read many articles and comments from end users and have not, until your post, heard any negative vibes.
Can you let me know if your knowledge it is from an engineering perspective or personal experience?
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySat Nov 20, 2021 10:39 pm

MikeGreene wrote:
brabay wrote:

Thanks for you reply - I am concerned that I may be about to payout a few thousand Euros for a solution to the problem of having a vehicle that steers like a boat that is "quite badly designed".
I have read many articles and comments from end users and have not, until your post, heard any negative vibes.
Can you let me know if your knowledge it is from an engineering perspective or personal experience?
Thanks again
There are loads of people who are happy with those setups and how they drive. I never have used one but I just don't like the non fail safe design.
Back to top Go down
MikeGee

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 8:41 am

What is a “non fail safe design “ ?
Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 9:16 am

MikeGee wrote:
What is a “non fail safe design “ ?
it is opposite of fail safe design: Something that is fail-safe is designed or made in such a way that nothing dangerous can happen if a part of it goes wrong.
Red9Design front end Screen10

Red9Design front end Screen11

if you have a look at vw t25 suspension that is a good exmple of fail safe design the balljoint is in the spindle and operates in correct way.
Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 10:38 am

I guess they had many enquiries about that over the years, you could ask them as see what they say.
Back to top Go down
MikeGee

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Ok so what are the consequences of using a “non fail system” ?
Could there be a problem by just driving or is it an issue if involved in an accident?
Back to top Go down
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm

Surely there is a non fail safe with tyres but we still use them.
Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 3:37 pm

MikeGee wrote:
Ok so what are the consequences of using a “non fail system” ?
Could there be a problem by just driving or is it an issue if involved in an accident?
There are some Toyota models that use similar  non fail safe design and youtube is full of videos of them failing listen to the stories, might help you decide.

Back to top Go down
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 4:16 pm

No different to  morris 1000's  and Austin A40 s that had gone down on their knees broke down  on many junctions in the valleys.

brabay likes this post

Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 4:37 pm

sounds a bit regressive to me
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 5:57 pm

I did find some discussion of this issue on other forums going back about 12 years, but not recently. At that time Red9 had sold over 1000 systems, with no reports of any failures on the road. Presumably Red9 have sold 1000s since then, again with no reports of failures as far as I know. There are two attitudes to this sort of issue, either to incorporate a failsafe design or to over-engineer to minimise the chance of failure. I would be more concerned about flying. A plane will keep flying if an engine fails, but not if a wing falls off. Obviously wings are over-engineered and regularly checked to minimise the risk.
Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Voyager wrote:
I did find some discussion of this issue on other forums going back about 12 years, but not recently. At that time Red9 had sold over 1000 systems, with no reports of any failures on the road. Presumably Red9 have sold 1000s since then, again with no reports of failures as far as I know. There are two attitudes to this sort of issue, either to incorporate a failsafe design or to over-engineer to minimise the chance of failure. I would be more concerned about flying. A plane will keep flying if an engine fails, but not if a wing falls off. Obviously wings are over-engineered and regularly checked to minimise the risk.

Well Toyota balljoints seem to fail between 100k - 200k and they are massive truck like. Vintage and brazi VW to which this suspension  are often fitted do normally limited mileage being hobby / show vehicles, so to get to point of failure might of course take some time, but MY preference would be to rather avoid chance of failure like that. It would be interesting to find out the company's
risk assessment over this issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red9Design front end   Red9Design front end Empty

Back to top Go down

Red9Design front end
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next