brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Portable generator - grounding

Go down 
+13
Dalesman
jj123vw
harryhornet
pastymaster
dizzylizard
Tallulah
Dennis
Sunny
andhoops
kiteman
Scooby
TimV
Lulu
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lulu

Lulu

Cabin : Club

Portable generator - grounding Empty
PostSubject: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I've just aquired a Honda EU10i 'suitcase' generator for use with Lulu when required.

My question... Do I need to sink a grounding rod before use?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I doubt it - most people wouldn't remember to do that so I imagine Honda have engineered that requirement out. Does it not say so in the manual?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Portable generator - grounding Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Lulu

Lulu

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:20 pm

There's a section in the manual about grounding it, but TBH, I don't understand it!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Google it!

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Hey Lulu
Would be interested to hear how you get on with the generator
Have considered that size or possibly the 20 in the past but never bought one
All the best
Rooby Roo
flower

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Bought a Homelite 720w petrol generator a few months back Scoobs. Trying it out next week on a mini-break. It was in B&Q for 80 squid.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:12 pm

How noisy are the generators?
I'd be mighty annoyed if the people near to me at a campsite had a generator chugging away all the time.

Portable generator - grounding Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 8:31 pm

The trick apparently is to take an old cardboard box - remove top and one side and place the generator in it - the cardboard acts as a noise reducer.

Don't intend to use the gen for much other than powering the D.I.S.C.O. lights at the Sleepover though, in which case you won't hear it over the ABBA.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
andhoops

andhoops

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:03 pm

just out of interest what would you use a genny for surely if you want electric that bad youd just stay at a campsite with electric hook up
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:16 pm

andhoops wrote:
just out of interest what would you use a genny for surely if you want electric that bad youd just stay at a campsite with electric hook up

Lots of campsites run out of EHUs during busy times, so taking your own is handy. Also useful for stopping at a VW show ie when you're in a field.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyTue May 29, 2012 11:12 pm

andhoops wrote:
I'd think about one as a means to recharge the leisure battery without having to go for a drive (so the new small Honda EX7 looks ideal) I don't yet know how long the battery will last without a run, so it will be interesting to see. I need a Motordome more than a geni at the moment, so that's where the money is going next.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:09 am

Never even seen the need for EHU. Leisure battery is more than enough. Only need it for lighting.
Thought the idea of camping was to get away from it all and enjoy the outside.

Portable generator - grounding Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:26 am

kiteman wrote:
Never even seen the need for EHU. Leisure battery is more than enough. Only need it for lighting.
Thought the idea of camping was to get away from it all and enjoy the outside.
If it was just lighting, I wouldn't worry. But I've become old and I like cold beer, butter, milk etc. and for that I need a fridge. Smile It's the fridge's energy requirements that are an unknown for me. Previously I had an LPG powered one.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

The attraction of the Honda generators is the compact size and low noise output - but you doo pay a big price for them!
Shame Danbury do not fit a 3-way fridge as standard so it could be run on gas - maybe its an option?
Rooby Roo
flower

Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:35 am

I am thinking of upgrading my leisure battrey to either a 110 0r possible 135 amp but this means moving everything around in the locker but it would give me the flexability of not needing shorepower to lets us use the fridge all weekend (keeping the G & T's chilled) otherwise it will only last 8 - 12 hrs with good management. Tim
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:37 am

I agree, a 3-way fridge would be a great idea although I suspect that then creates additional venting issues.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Dennis wrote:
otherwise it will only last 8 - 12 hrs with good management. Tim
Yikes! Is that the expected life of the current battery with fridge running? Guess I am going to need a geni after all.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm

If your fridge packs up, do what we used to do before fridges, stick your can or bottle in a sock, soak it in water and hang it up in the sun. As long as you keep it wet it cools it down loverly. Laughing (latent heat of vaporisation according to my science teacher)
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Before Fridges!!!! Shocked

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:39 pm

dizzylizard wrote:
If your fridge packs up, do what we used to do before fridges, stick your can or bottle in a sock, soak it in water and hang it up in the sun. As long as you keep it wet it cools it down loverly. Laughing (latent heat of vaporisation according to my science teacher)

Laughing

I've never heard that one before!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm guessing it has to be a clean sock? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:44 pm

This is the one I've gone for - it was reduced to £80 the day I bought it. Not particularly noisy and simple to op.

Homelite 720w Generator

Have a read of the reviews at the bottom of the page.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:59 pm

That's a good price compared to the Honda units

One of the lower prices on ebay for the Honda EU10i is as follows . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-EU10i-Generator-Caravan-Boat-Portable-/140759263003?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item20c5e7e71b

Might be worth watching if you are in the 'Sunny' Bristol area

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 2:42 pm

This looks comparable to the Honda, but without the price tag because of the name:

Machine Mart Generator

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding EmptyWed May 30, 2012 2:48 pm

TimV wrote:
This is the one I've gone for - it was reduced to £80 the day I bought it. Not particularly noisy and simple to op.

Homelite 720w Generator

Have a read of the reviews at the bottom of the page.
I've just checked that out at my B&Q. It's rated at 91db, which is loud. Price is good but not sure I'd want that level of noise. I like the idea of the Honda's 54(?)FB output, ie conversational level. Great for stealth use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portable generator - grounding   Portable generator - grounding Empty

Back to top Go down

Portable generator - grounding
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next