brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Off the road for Winter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

Off the road for Winter Empty
PostSubject: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyFri Dec 07, 2018 10:20 am

Sadly with salt now on the road it is time to set the camper aside for its Winter rest.
Parked outside with a good coat of wax it will be run every few weeks and moved around so as to prevent flat-spots on the tyres. And even washed down if the weather permits.
Inside soft furnishings removed to the house and all cans, bottles with liquid that might freeze also gone.
De-humidifier crystals in the sink area.
Petrol tank quite full, extra strength windscreen washer solution.
Hook-up to be turned on every two weeks (luckily our set-up sends charge to both batteries)
In gear and wheels chocked but hand-brake off to prevent rusting on.
As rusting is a chemical process that is temperature dependant, perhaps a very cold winter would be for the best.

osg
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 7:31 pm

At last, back on the road again after the Winter layup.
What a lot of greenery and dirt - a massive clean was needed.
Replaced the rear light lenses with our spare pair. It's great to just put on some clean ones straight from storage and then no rush to deal with the dirty ones. Despite replacing the seals behind the plastic I don't seem to be able to stop the algae growing inside the rims.
osg
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 7:07 am

osg wrote:
At last, back on the road again after the Winter layup.
What a lot of greenery and dirt - a massive clean was needed.
Replaced the rear light lenses with our spare pair. It's great to just put on some clean ones straight  from storage and then no rush to deal with the dirty ones. Despite replacing the seals behind the plastic I don't seem to be able to stop the algae growing inside the rims.
osg
algae always a problem in back lights have the same problem clean every so often Smile
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 am

I drilled little holes in bottom of lens it definitely improved it.
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 am

Dennis wrote:
I drilled little holes in bottom of lens it definitely improved it.
will give it a try Smile
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Don't ever find any noticeable water inside. Just seems to be damp enough around the edges for algae to grow anywhere around the circumferance even after I put vaseline or wax around the rubber seal.
Anyway as Kiteman provided spare lenses it is an easy swap over.

Interesting story I heard. A man decided to market 'Rock-oil' when he noticed that drillers' wounds healed faster when they rubbed over them Rod Wax, a residue found in their pumps. 'Rock-oil was a commercial failure but look what happened when he changed the name to Vaseline.

osg
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Dee James

Cabin : Exec 086

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 2:11 pm

osg wrote:

Interesting story I heard. A man decided to market 'Rock-oil' when he noticed that drillers' wounds healed faster when they rubbed over them Rod Wax, a residue found in their pumps. 'Rock-oil was a commercial failure but look what happened when he changed the name to Vaseline.

osg

love that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off the road for Winter   Off the road for Winter Empty

Back to top Go down

Off the road for Winter
Page 1 of 1