brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Trailer recommendations

Go down 
+3
Bumble
ZippyBay
markboulton
7 posters
AuthorMessage
markboulton

Cabin : Economy

Trailer recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 11:56 am

Following our (hopefully successful!) service of Chester at VWKampers next week, we're going to be using him a lot more now that restrictions are being lifted all over the place. With a growing family, a dog, and probably a Glawning, we really do need a trailer.

So... any recommendations? Practicality over aesthetics are favourable (for example, integral bike racks is a bonus to enable all four of us to bring bikes). I'd no doubt want to fit the same wheels as Chester eventually, and spray it the same colour, but that's far from important to begin with.
Back to top Go down
ZippyBay

ZippyBay

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 12:01 pm

I'd be interested in this too. We have in the past borrowed a light-weight trailer from a friend that weighs about 150kg unloaded. I'm not too sure what the max towing weight is with a watercooled but I assume it's not much. I've been looking at some hard top trailers and Anssems in coming out more favourable - not cheap but doesn't suffer from a plastic top cracking.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 5:22 pm

We have an Erde 193, which I've towed once with Bumble, but wouldn't do so on a regular basis (used more with Passat, for holidays in the past).  It has a hard top and lots of capacity but, as you say, not the lightest!

I would say look on Gumtree for suitable trailers, if you need one, as there are usually lots on there and reasonably cheap.  There are usually quite a few going and, with a hard top, give the security as well.  Yes, the ABS top does crack, but ours is over ten years old now.

We have a bike trailer we used, but then it's just the two of us who go in Bumble.

P.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 9:02 pm

We had a Dbeilt trailer with Absinthe. Perfect if you have a Glawning.

Trailer recommendations D05bb010

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 11:00 am

ZippyBay wrote:
I'd be interested in this too. We have in the past borrowed a light-weight trailer from a friend that weighs about 150kg unloaded. I'm not too sure what the max towing weight is with a watercooled but I assume it's not much. I've been looking at some hard top trailers and Anssems in coming out more favourable - not cheap but doesn't suffer from a plastic top cracking.

Have a look here: Trailer Refurb Project

As we sold Tallulah earlier this year, we no longer have a use for our trailer so could be for sale to someone with an appropriately coloured kombi!
It has been parked under cover unused for the last 3 years partly loaded with camping kit. Let me know if you are interested.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
naskeet

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyTue Jul 20, 2021 6:45 pm

ZippyBay wrote:

Bumble wrote:
We have an Erde 193, which I've towed once with Bumble, but wouldn't do so on a regular basis (used more with Passat, for holidays in the past).  It has a hard top and lots of capacity but, as you say, not the lightest!

I would say look on Gumtree for suitable trailers, if you need one, as there are usually lots on there and reasonably cheap.  There are usually quite a few going and, with a hard top, give the security as well.  Yes, the ABS top does crack, but ours is over ten years old now.

We have a bike trailer we used, but then it's just the two of us who go in Bumble.

P.

There are quite a few trailers in the French made ERDE range, for which there are a variety of accessories available. The ERDE 142 or 143, lightweight, flat-pack trailers would probably be large enough for most people and in basic form have an unladen weight of circa 95 kg and a load capacity of circa 505 kg. I am in the process of acquiring a second-hand ERDE 142 trailer.

www.erdetrailer.co.uk

https://www.erdetrailersuk.com

The Brazilian VW 1400 Type 2 owners' handbook should hopefully specify (albeit in Portugese) the towing capacity of un-braked and braked trailers, which in the case of my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental, is specified as 600 kg and 800 kg respectively; although for later model-years of 1973~79 VW 1600 & 17/18/2000 Type 2, I believe 600 kg and 1000 kg respectively were specified.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Onetime member, technical editor & magazine editor of the Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 am

If anyone is buying an Erde trailer new, think about buying abroad (not Halfords!) affraid

When we bought it (a few years pre-Brexit, which probably buggers things up now Evil or Very Mad ), I travelled over to France and ordered in, in French!, in Dunkirk (Feu Vert). They constructed it and I collected it the following weekend. cheers

I also remembered to take a number plate and fit it before I left the store (I could hear the staff muttering about a lack of 'bache plate pour remorque', until I got it out of the back of my car!)

At the time, it saved over £300 on the UK price.

(OK, so it also confused the ferry check-in people when I booked the return trip with trailer and didn't have one on the way out! lol! )

P.
Back to top Go down
markboulton

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 10:53 am

£300!? That's quite a saving.

The Erde is top of my list at the moment. Seems to be a distributor in Bristol which is the nearest to us (South Wales). It's either that or one of those Thule shelf things with a bag to fit on my tow bar. Not sure about those because of the bike rack.
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 11:45 am

I have a Brenderup 1150 with double sides and lid. It tows like a dream 13 inch wheels and an A frame draw bar. The trailer does not bounce about or twist which you get with a single drawbar type.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer recommendations   Trailer recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Trailer recommendations
Page 1 of 1