brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Any recommendations for a wind break?

Go down 
+2
TimV
Voyager
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

Any recommendations for a wind break? Empty
PostSubject: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 pm

We bought a Regatta wind break on the basis that it folded up small and we got a good price for it. The first time we tried to use it was on a site where the ground was very hard, and even though I have a rubber mallet it would have been impossible to pitch it without destroying the poles. Other people on the site seemed to be using the old-fashioned beach type with wooden poles, but those are quite heavy and take up a lot of room. Has anybody got any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Eat fewer baked beans? Sorry, I know a tin of Heinz is standard issue in a Brazibay's food cupboard. Wink

Sure someone will be along with some both sensible and useful info for you. Very Happy

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Any recommendations for a wind break? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 4:28 pm

We have JustKampers windbreak which is a good size when erected and packed but is a bit of a faff with all the guy ropes and poles - needs two people.

We've used it a few times, the first time on Hayling Island with a strong breeze which managed to slightly bend one of the poles - straightened when we got home.

More recently while at Seatown, Dorset in mid August when the tail end of hurricane Bertha hit land. At approx 4am one of the poles completely bent in half, lifting the metal tent peg holding the foot plate which was then propelled at speed toward Tallulah affraid

Fortunately there was no serious damage and once again I was able to straighten the pole although how it will fair when it next gets used is anyone's guess.

FunkyLeisure.co.uk do a decent looking version which we may try next if/when we need a new one.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 pm

I saw quite a few windbreaks buckle and break on the top of St Ives this summer. Hurricane Bertha was still giving it some at the end of August.
We've got a Gelert mini breeze blocker which did do the job it was meant to do but I took it down on very windy days/nights. I think the biggest problem with windbreaks is the fact that the guy ropes end up getting in the way of everything. I can see why people would rather use the old fashioned versions with the thick poles and no ropes. They were less than a tenner in one shop I went to and I was tempted to buy one, use it, and leave it for the next person.
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Buy yourself a very large metal tent peg, the largest you can find that is slightly thinner than the windbreak poles. Use this to pre drill your holes for the windbreak.

Matt.

Any recommendations for a wind break? Img_2014
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Matt wrote:
Buy yourself a very large metal tent peg, the largest you can find that is slightly thinner than the windbreak poles. Use this to pre drill your holes for the windbreak.

Good tip Matt. I'll try that.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Nice one Matt, just been in the garage and found an old mooring peg, 15mm diameter, from years back that will do the job.  Smile

I have been fed up for ages with either having to hammer the poles in, or tripping over the guy ropes in the middle of the night so had been thinking of getting some of those metal screw in ground sockets that would solve both problems, but expense, weight etc put me off.

Yesterday, I had a look round and found these. Don't know whether they are worth considering, may get one to try with the beach umbrella next year, after ours went cart-wheeling down the beach this summer. (there are cheaper ones available for about £2.50 each but they look a bit flimsy, and I appreciate you would need 3 or 4 depending on how many poles the windbreak has, so may not be cost effective)

screw anchor
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Dont think anything can help a beach parasol when the wind gets under it, the sand is just to soft.
With your windbreak, beat your peg in as far as you can, to the point where it will be hard to get back out. You then wiggle it like hell to get it out. This opens the hole enough to get the windbreak pole in. Give the pole a few taps to firm it up, and it wont go anywhere.
I have some pegs that must be 10 inc long and 1 cm thick, with the top curved over. I can beat them all day, and they wont bend. You can get your windbreak poles set a long way into the ground with them.

Matt.

Any recommendations for a wind break? Img_2014
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a wind break?   Any recommendations for a wind break? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any recommendations for a wind break?
Page 1 of 1