brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Reputation System Activated

Go down 
+10
Matt
Blue Seagull
Baydreamer
pastymaster
jill
olive
kiteman
osg
absquatulation
TimV
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Reputation System Activated Empty
PostSubject: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 3:04 pm

The site now features a reputation indicator.

You may vote positively or negatively on somebody's posts. These in turn will affect the individual member's 'reputation' on the site.

Please use this function wisely .....

Well established members will already have reputation scores automatically generated by the site interpreting posts made to date. You need to have written at least 5 posts before your reputation starts to score.

You may also use the 'Thanks' button above each post after your own to donate points to the person making a subsequent comment.

Voting/thanking is anonymous.

Good luck!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Reputation System Activated Melogo11
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:04 pm

How do you vote on someones posts. Is there a button somewhere?

________________________________________________________________________________
I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 pm

absquatulation wrote '

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+

----

-

How do you vote on someones posts. Is there a button somewhere?

Answer: Over to the top right of the post there are + and - signs to click on.
However they don't seem to appear in all posts. Not sure what is the deciding factor.
osg
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Oh now. Further to the above
Position of + and - seems to be variable
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Blimey, as if I don't spend enough time on here already. Good job I can access the site at work Twisted Evil

Reputation System Activated Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Oh yes, by the way you get 10 votes a day, so use them wisely!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:36 pm

I see some are getting into the spirit of it already! pirat

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:43 pm

What a stupid idea this is. Your more than welcome to put a negative against my post.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Why do you feel so olive?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Tim you told me this site was for BraziBay owners to have a view and opinion on all matters BraziBay no matter what, providing what was put on the site was true and not false or slanderous in any way, the whole idea is to give owners and future owners useful information relating to all things BraziBay in owning, maintaining and at the end of the day having fun with our campers.

Creating a section were one can vote for or against a member is not fair. You say

You may vote positively or negatively on somebody's posts. These in turn will affect the individual member's 'reputation' on the site.

Why should we affect another members reputation? Is this democratic to vote against one another on your views and opinions?

This will give members the opportunity to tick a box and create negative votes against another members view on a topic which is lets say controversial however, controversial is good as it opens up areas which can be improved as it has shown already. I dont think this is in the spirit of the forum, and it could make members who would like to put their point across more hesitant in fear of having a negative vote against them. I dont think any member has the right to do this especially when it is anonymous

At the end of the day what does a reputation achieve? What is the point? This is not a good idea, and I believe doesnt follow in the spirit of my first paragraph.
I am being completely honest here and I hope you dont take offence to this.

Back to top Go down
jill

jill

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Reputation system.   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 pm

I agree with Olive. I think it will inhibit free dicscussion and ideas and surely this is what this site is all about.
Jill
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Ok, thank you for your comments. I welcome other's views too.

My stance is that this is a mature forum and this has the potential to encourage people to get more involved. Now if someone makes a positive contribution to the information base here, they can be rewarded for it. Equally if members feel a post is inaccurate, misleading or simply out of context then they can demonstrate that.

Implementing the 'Reputation System' will encourage and reward positive interaction. As you have said, this forum and its community operates with good spirit: "for BraziBay owners to have a view and opinion on all matters BraziBay no matter what."

I want this forum to expand in both the way people interact and the way members research and source information.

Very much like adding an accessory to your BraziBay - nothing is set in stone and we'll see how it goes. The matter is open to future review.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I share the opinion of Olive and Jill on this one.

I think 'marking' peoples posts isn't really going to achieve anything other than aggravation. At the end of the day you can just thank people on their thread if they have made a contribution that helps.

I think it will just create an 'I'm better than you atmosphere' with who's got the biggest reputation. Not only that but it's just open to abuse, if you like someone and constantly + their comments they get a good reputation for no reason. The same works on the reverse, if you don't like someone you can constantly - their comments giving them a poor reputation.

I don't think it's fair that you can lower a person's reputation just because you don't agree with something they say.

I don't think its going to encourage any new members, or free conversation. As a relatively new member I certainly wouldn't have posted half of the things I had if people had the ability to mark me so openly on the forum.

Everything starts with the best intentions but I really do feel that this would give you more of a negative impact than any positives.

scratch

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
Baydreamer

Baydreamer

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 pm

I think its encourging that people can debate and this generates interest about whats good and bad about products or services offered. The key all this is fairness and ensuring that debate is evenly balanced to ensure people can make there own mind up about a particular issue without it becoming a place to be constantly over critical or too much of a love in to butter people or companies up. For me there is an excellent balance on this forum and thats why its successful. it remains to be seen if the voiting system works but sometimes you have to go with things and make a decision after trial. If it encourages people just to think twice about what they say then thats a good thing.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 pm

jill wrote:
inhibit free dicscussion and ideas

How will this be inhibitive Jill? If it makes someone think about what they write, is that not a good thing?

Surely if someone has an idea, and people think it would be good, having their rep increased for it would be a bonus?

We're all adults on here, the rep system is entirely voluntary, use it if you wish, don't if you don't.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 pm

TimV wrote:
jill wrote:
inhibit free dicscussion and ideas

How will this be inhibitive Jill? If it makes someone think about what they write, is that not a good thing?

Surely if someone has an idea, and people think it would be good, having their rep increased for it would be a bonus?

We're all adults on here, the rep system is entirely voluntary, use it if you wish, don't if you don't.

I think you are missing the point, it may encourage if you get a + but discourage if you get a -.

We already have a system here which works, you read a post then if you wish, you post a reply. At least you know what the response is and then it can be debated.

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Then as a group of mature people let's exercise the positive.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Tilly wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Just tried to recommend my own post but the +/- isn't there Crying or Very sad

Actually there is a serious point to this - you can't tell whether anyone has rated your post one way or the other which would be a useful bit of feedback to the poster.

Sorry Tilly - you can't rate your own posts! That would be daft. Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 pm

There's some great information on this forum and having a green mark against it makes this easier to find, and as more posts go up these get harder to find. There are also a lot of comments and posts that keep bringing up the same things and digging the same old dirt, which personally is startijng to get tiresome.
I for one don't really have an issue with whatever my reputation score is.

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Tilly wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Just tried to recommend my own post but the +/- isn't there Crying or Very sad

Actually there is a serious point to this - you can't tell whether anyone has rated your post one way or the other which would be a useful bit of feedback to the poster.

You can do if you post a reply rather than post a + or - then you get to see what is said and surely that would be more useful. Funny enough we have this in place, I'm a firm believer of 'if its not broke then dont fix it' And this method is a more fair method.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 pm

olive wrote:

You can do if you post a reply rather than post a + or - then you get to see what is said and surely that would be more useful. Funny enough we have this in place, I'm a firm believer of 'if its not broke then dont fix it' And this method is a more fair method.

There's nothing stopping people commenting on posts still

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

kiteman wrote:
olive wrote:

There's nothing stopping people commenting on posts still

Then why the need for this point scoring cos at the end of the day thats all it is.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Tilly wrote:
TimV wrote:
Sorry Tilly - you can't rate your own posts! That would be daft. Basketball

It would indeed and I wasn't serious. However the fact that the green/red bar that appears along with the +/- also doesn't appear for your own posts means that you can't tell if your post was useful to someone (or indeed offensive), which would have been a useful bit of feedback.

You'll only get the green/red bar if someone actually votes Tilly. You've got one on your 12volt sockets install:

Extra 12v Power Sockets

That was me - because I thought it was a great post. People scanning can see that in an instant rather than having to read through the replies.

@brazilianvwbay

Last edited by TimV on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Don't see it as point scoring, I see it as finding usefull inormation.

Back to top Go down
Blue Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:26 pm

TimV wrote:
Then as a group of mature people let's exercise the positive.

I share the concerns of a few on here that negative voting brings much potential to bring out the less mature side of some people. If you are selling something on eBay, you can no longer leave negative feedback for your buyers after many problems.

Ultimately, however, I also wonder whether many people visit for the discussion rather than the additional extras, and whether this means that the +/- signs at the side may get quietly forgotten in time.

Have fun,

CHRIS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated Empty

Back to top Go down

Reputation System Activated
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next