brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Driving a LHD bay

Go down 
+10
dartmoor
jj123vw
poddy
Baydreamer
jboa
eddy
dazdub
billyelaine
TimV
Malcolm Eales
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Malcolm Eales

Malcolm Eales

Cabin : Economy

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 9:56 pm

For a number of reasons I'm considering a LHD bay. Does anyone have any comments please on driving a LHD bay regularly in Britain? Thanks in anticipation.
Back to top Go down
http://malcolm@cheerful.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Resale value in the UK not so good.

Insurance may be higher.

You'll have to slide across when going into car parks to get the ticket out of the machine.

Other than that - no issues.

I had a lhd Beetle for years and it wasn't a problem.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Driving a LHD bay Melogo11
Back to top Go down
billyelaine

billyelaine

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Don't really notice after 10 mins of driving on your first trip. Also don't have to worry about the RHD conversion!!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 8:40 am

There's nothing to worry about the RHD conversion!

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: lhd cars   Driving a LHD bay EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 7:10 pm

hi i have had 4 lhd car a winnebago 22ft a aerostar t25 westy and my ghia never nad a prob driving lhd find it more natural only down side over taking but you wont be doing much of that in a bay all the best daz
Back to top Go down
eddy

eddy

Cabin : Exec 014

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 pm

malcolm,

like the billyelaine comment...after only 10 mins and it will seem fairly normal so kept mine lhd, i was a bit dubious when considering it but no problems experienced, except if no front passenger you need long arms to get through the dartford crossing,

regards,

eddy
Back to top Go down
jboa

Cabin : Club

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm

As already mentioned no problems, you soon adjust to it.
Yes car park machines and over taking are a little awkward but not enough to consider a RHD conversion.

Hey Eddy any pics of your van?

Julian
Back to top Go down
Malcolm Eales

Malcolm Eales

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Many thanks for your helpful comments, I hadn't considered the resale value but surely it can't amount to more than a Danbury rhd conversion and you've already saved that! My insurance company might not be the very cheapest but no extra for lhd! Car parks and tolls will just slow down others Rolling Eyes It is motorway driving that is perhaps the main problem, I tend to not like losing hard won momentum so I do overtake Smile can anyone give more details on this please as I don't want to join the middle lane hoggers? Thanks Malcolm.
Back to top Go down
http://malcolm@cheerful.com
eddy

eddy

Cabin : Exec 014

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 9:41 pm

jboa,

you asked for a picture of my van, check out http://www.vwdownunder.co.uk/BessyBlueDetail.htm for a few pics on the vw downunder website (most taken last year in new forest),

regards,

eddy
Back to top Go down
jboa

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:42 am

Nice Eddy, I can just about make out the locking fuel cap in one of the pictures. I think I'm going to contact Paul about getting one.

Quote :
It is motorway driving that is perhaps the main problem, I tend to not like losing hard won momentum so I do overtake can anyone give more details on this please as I don't want to join the middle lane hoggers? Thanks Malcolm.

Motorway over taking is really not an issue. It's when you get stuck behind something on a single carriage road that it becomes difficult.
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:51 am

Malcolm Eales wrote:
Many thanks for your helpful comments, I hadn't considered the resale value but surely it can't amount to more than a Danbury rhd conversion and you've already saved that! My insurance company might not be the very cheapest but no extra for lhd! Car parks and tolls will just slow down others Rolling Eyes It is motorway driving that is perhaps the main problem, I tend to not like losing hard won momentum so I do overtake Smile can anyone give more details on this please as I don't want to join the middle lane hoggers? Thanks Malcolm.
motorways are ok all going the same way only need mirrors ,only prob is cars coming other way singe carrage ok if you passenger you trust all the best daz
Back to top Go down
Baydreamer

Baydreamer

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyMon May 10, 2010 12:46 pm

i have a lefty and apart from getting stuck behind large vehicles in town where its difficult to overtake or the dartford tunnel toll (not really an issue) its fine and gives further character to your bus> i havent had another other problems apart from sometimes i go to get in the wrong side ha ha ha when thinkin about somthing else-wot a donut Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:08 pm

2007 t2 lhd wrote:
.. apart from sometimes i go to get in the wrong side ha ha ha when thinkin about somthing else-wot a donut Very Happy

lol!

Need some pictures of your Bay please??!!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
poddy

poddy

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm

LHD is good, just need to get used to it, I can remember driving away from danbury when we bought the van, all the way home instinctively went to change gear with my left hand, only to find the window winder.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 8:12 pm

LHD is no problem for most and driving is easy but dont forget if you want rack and pinion steering its only available on RHD. But then some say they prefer the 'sway in the bay' and dont want more precise steering and / or power steering.....Apart from that its personal choice ....Both good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
dartmoor

dartmoor

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Denni wrote:
Hi Malcolm,

it will become second nature and people will just have to wait at ticket entrances!

As far as motorway driving goes, fully laden Irene will easily do 80-85 but not recommended in the long run due to piston wear caused by overheating.

We tootle along at 65 then just judge the overtaking without screaming down to 3rd gear, not been an issue so far.

Den

85mph on an aircooled? Have you checked that with the GPS?? BTW, how's the trip going?
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 pm

I think Danbury disconnect the ventilation system on the RHD conversion - which totally baffled me as to why they would do such a thing and not reinstate it?? So the bonus of the LHD is that the original Braziiian ventilation system, as designed by VW, will still be there and working?
Back to top Go down
olive

olive

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:01 am

LHD is easy to figure out. There are more benefits of keeping your van LHD rather than changing it over to RHD. Look back on the posts and you will see this. Ignore completely what JJ says, he is only trying to promote and sell his options. Its about time we sold JJ some advertising space on this website as all of his posts are biased towards buying or promoting something from Danbury and not giving any free or helpful advice. This is not a bad thing but it should be paid for as we have to pay for everything we get from Danbury. What do you think Tim or Kiteman on this? Are you brave enough to approach JJ on this?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 1:09 pm

In a country where rhd cars are the norm and the majority of driving will take place - the argument for rhd is strong. If you want to keep a Kombi lhd as built by Volkswagen - that's your choice. You don't have to have it converted, you don't have to have a rack and pinion install nor pas. These are all options available from a variety of sources except for the pas which at present is specific to Danbury.

Olive - we are all aware that Jason is enthusiastic about his business and can be over zealous with his posts. However it is unreasonable for you to suggest people ignore his comments. He is as welcome to post on the forum as you and has been asked to keep the Danbury plugs to a minimum. It speaks volumes though that no other suppliers of the Brazilian T2 have ever posted on the forum.

If the site progresses to take advertising that will open it up to anyone to market their services and products and will require more on the admin front from yours truly. Time which at present I have little of. However I am thinking about the next stage and will keep everyone informed of the developments.

Brave enough to approach JJ??!! Are you kidding!?! Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 2:18 pm

dartmoor wrote:
Denni wrote:
Hi Malcolm,

it will become second nature and people will just have to wait at ticket entrances!

As far as motorway driving goes, fully laden Irene will easily do 80-85 but not recommended in the long run due to piston wear caused by overheating.

We tootle along at 65 then just judge the overtaking without screaming down to 3rd gear, not been an issue so far.

Den

85mph on an aircooled? Have you checked that with the GPS?? BTW, how's the trip going?

I think that's a Kombi speedo reading! When Max shows 70 on the speedo the Satnav says 65.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 5:19 pm

& feels like 90!!! Very Happy

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
chairboy_paul

chairboy_paul

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 6:33 pm

you are all mad men! 55 and im s****** my pants!
Back to top Go down
olive

olive

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 10:02 pm

TimV wrote:

Insurance may be higher.

You'll have to slide across when going into car parks to get the ticket out of the machine.

What proof do you have on resale value being any different to a RHD?

Insurance is no different to a RHD my insurance is the same right or left hand.

Yes we do have to slide across to get the ticket out of the machine
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 pm

olive wrote:
TimV wrote:

Insurance may be higher.

What proof do you have on resale value being any different to a RHD?

Insurance is no different to a RHD my insurance is the same right or left hand.

Yes we do have to slide across to get the ticket out of the machine

By observing prices of Kombis over the last 2 years in private ads and trade ones. I can't give you a statistical analysis as I wasn't expecting to be asked for proof of this. However, have a look at the "For Sale" section on Snailtrail.co.uk and by paging down you'll see how many left hookers Steve has sold versus right hookers. The brand new left hand drive blue Bay "Blue Jean" he's got on there has been for sale for the best part of a year now. Similarly the van that he called Phyllis in Teal Blue was for sale at Ashington Autodrome when I was looking for a Kombi at the early part of 2009. It eventually sold in the summer - and I know the couple who bought it. They decided to get rid six months back and it's been sitting on the forecourt of Ashington's on sale or return ever since.

My insurance company - a big one - prefer a rhd vehicle in a rhd country. It's something they told me when I was discussing the steering box topic with them recently.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
jboa

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 pm

chairboy_paul wrote:
you are all mad men! 55 and im s****** my pants!
Took mine off the clock the other week, didn't realise until I looked at the speedo, nice smooth French road.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Driving a LHD bay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving a LHD bay   Driving a LHD bay Empty

Back to top Go down

Driving a LHD bay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next