brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Help :( Broken down

Go down 
+8
beakyboy
elliec
Rebeldog
absquatulation
irishman
TimV
Scooby
EvoFylde
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

Cabin : Club

Help :( Broken down Empty
PostSubject: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:06 am

Just started Norman. Pulled away and went from 1st to 2nd and the clutch pedal just slipped away. Limp! Like not attached to anything.

Called AA. Waiting.

Any ideas anyone can pass on before he arrives?
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:09 am

Sounds similar to what happened to Scooby last year on the way to the Daz Dub Doo!
It was the clutch cable - it had snapped
Hope you get it resolved with the AA

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:10 am

I'm guessing the clutch cable has snapped ... or broken away from its fixing. Oh dear you're not having the best new owner experience ... sorry about that. Rolling Eyes

If it is the clutch cable, and it's snapped at the clutch end, then you're better off fitting a cable from an early LHD Bay - it's long enough to do the whole job, rather than the original being extended as part of the conversion.

http://www.customandcommercial.com/searchwords-S02628/

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Help :( Broken down Melogo11

Last edited by TimV on Sat May 11, 2013 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks Tim.

Would I have heard the snap? The pedal literally just gave away like it had slipped.
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:13 am

If I look under, what will I see. I'm guessing the AA guy won't have a spare clutch cable?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:16 am

Is the clutch pedal loose in its position ie can you lift it up and down with your hand freely?

If so then the cable has gone. You probably won't be able to see where - you'll need to jack the Kombi up to get a look.

I've added to my first post about the cable that you need :LHD Early Bay clutch cable.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:21 am

Ok Tim. Thanks.

If I push the cable to the floor it springs back up about 90% of the way. But yes, I can move it freely.
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:22 am

Surely this is covered in my warranty?
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:23 am

At least I'm only 1.5miles from home. Better than out camping.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:24 am

Ok if the pedal is returning then chances are the cable is all still attached albeit it's not releasing the clutch. You may find the AA man is able to craft a bodge to get you home if he's got his wits about him.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:26 am

Ok. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again Tim. If the cable has snapped would the pedal return?

It's literally like its pushing against nothing and then it returns.

If he can fix it, will I still need to take it somewhere?
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:45 am

Quick Q. Where's the jack point?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:47 am

There are 2 jack points either side of the Kombi - if you've got a sidestep on the offside, that is fixed in them, nearside they are the square holes either side of the centre panel down by the seam.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:49 am

EvoFylde wrote:
Ok. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again Tim. If the cable has snapped would the pedal return?

It's literally like its pushing against nothing and then it returns.

If he can fix it, will I still need to take it somewhere?

Depends on the problem - if the wing nut extension has broken, the cable may still be in the hook eye fixing on the clutch, hence it's still springing, but it's not fixed strongly enough to operate the clutch.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks Tim.

Another quick Q. As I'm 200 miles from Danbury, do they normally send out parts and pay for repair as I can't be expected to tow it 200 miles south, can I?
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:58 am

You're right about poor first owner experience Tim. Second time AA been out for Norman. First time was day after his first service and he wouldn't start. The starter motor had been poorly connected but he fixes that in secs. And now this.

Then issue with expansion tank although that now seems ok.

Do I start questioning why I bought it?

We love it though, especially the kids and wife, but I'm staggered I've got clutch issues after having it new from December.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:14 pm

I think you need to have a chat with Danbury on Monday morning. Get home first and have a cuppa!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Home now. Norman left where he broke down a mile away. AA picking him up to tow back to Danbury in next 2hrs. AA couldn't fix it and couldn't really access where the problem was.
It will be back with Danbury on Monday morning. They have said they will fix it there and then.
I've now got to find time to get a train down and then drive it back. Huge expense. Nightmare.

Very unhappy.
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Also when the AA lifted the front carpet up to look around near the clutch pedal, it was all wet. Is that normal?
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Sorry to hear your problems, the water may just be rain that has either come up thru holes for pedals whilst driving or rain that creeps in around door seals, we get this occasionally.
Unfortunately, like us you are realising the problems of owning a Kombi, I know they are expensive, however, unlike the advertising, they are not built to modern build quality standards, but you just have to love them!
As to expense of collecting van I personally would discuss this with Danbury, I'm sure given the age of Norman, and problems so far you could come to an arrangement.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Is it raining with you today? Water can get in via the wiper arm seals.

Maybe Danbury could deliver your Kombi back to you, having sorted the clutch and air lock ...

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:29 pm

That would be good if they could.
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Yes, it has been raining heavily Sad((
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Well, I have recently changed my clutch cable. I used a cable 3200mm, an early lhd cable and I found it to be about 10mm too short.

OK, this might just be my unlucky streak, but I ended up using the Danbury extension piece to finish it off.

I would suggest getting a new nut at the same time, and when you come to fit the new cable, remove the last segment of outer cable and clean it. First of all I found the new cable wouldn't go through, then I found that bits of wire from the old cable were still there, so I cleaned it out with spare wire then a draw cord. I was horrified with the crud that came out. I then packed grease into the tube refitted into place and fed the inner new cable through. After it was in place I sealed the exposed end with yet more grease.

The clutch cable feels so much softer now and much lighter.

I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down EmptySat May 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Where's the towing point?

I have my tow bar at the back. Will he use that????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help :( Broken down   Help :( Broken down Empty

Back to top Go down

Help :( Broken down
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: