brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Rear Wheel Carrier

Go down 
+9
Sunny
Tallulah
Georgy
AbsintheKombi
Dennis
dizzylizard
jj123vw
TimV
michel_bonn
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 am

alderley wrote:
Tallulah wrote:
TimV wrote:
Pity the carrier can't be made out of aluminium. Lightweight and no corrosion issues.

It probably could be although would need extra strength in places.

Difficult to weld too.

Rivets - not a problem on aircraft!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 1:37 pm

TimV wrote:
alderley wrote:
Tallulah wrote:
TimV wrote:
Pity the carrier can't be made out of aluminium. Lightweight and no corrosion issues.

It probably could be although would need extra strength in places.

Difficult to weld too.

Rivets - not a problem on aircraft!

Different stresses and loads between the two designs. That plus rivets won't look as nice

________________________________________________________________________________
rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Hey , that is very good.
realy very very good. thanks a lot for this.
michel

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2-c.de
Feliz

Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 pm

TimV wrote:
you can use some aluminium tooling grade which could be anodised . it is however quite expensive but certainly strong enough (most structural parts on aircraft are indeed aluminium. looking at dizzies drawing I am tempted to get one tailor made in stainless steel . The real cost is the labour not the material Idea
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 7:32 am

After modifying my roof rack to take a spare wheel, i have now been picked up by the ferry companies. The overall height means i must pay an extra 25% on my frequent trips to the mainland if i have the roof rack and wheel fitted. So back to the drawing board. Roof rack up for sale to fund the fitting of a rear swing away rack, although they don't seem to be very good quality from the posts i have read.
Might try to adapt a landrover item, has anyone successfully fitted one of these, if so any tips would be very welcome. Its drilling the body work mainly, do they put strengthening plates in place to stop distortion from the weight.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 8:27 am

Razorbaz wrote:
After modifying my roof rack to take a spare wheel, i have now been picked up by the ferry companies. The overall height means i must pay an extra 25% on my frequent trips to the mainland if i have the roof rack and wheel fitted.

That's pretty unlucky and unfair! It's not as if the height of your BraziBay is preventing other vehicles from getting onboard, it's the length of a vehicle that normally does that. Rolling Eyes

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 am

Is your kombi standard height or lowered?

If standard you could get it lowered to drop it back under the height limit and extra cost.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks both, my kombi is lowered and they now send me to the lower vehicle deck. The ost isn't an issue at the moment but in summer it will be a big increase as we do go back and forth to see family and friends.
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Razorbaz wrote:

Might try to adapt a landrover item, has anyone successfully fitted one of these, if so any tips would be very welcome. Its drilling the body work mainly, do they put strengthening plates in place to stop distortion from the weight.

It is alleged that this is the ex-landrover spare wheel carrier.

I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2016 12:29 pm

The official Danbury item is not a Land Rover or any other make / model part... It's purpose made and can be ordered by calling 01454 310000.
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Carrier   rear - Rear Wheel Carrier - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Wheel Carrier
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2