brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?

Go down 
+2
osg
Skooby
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Skooby

Skooby

Cabin : Exec 046

Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? Empty
PostSubject: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 11:04 am

Skooby (2011 water cooled) has now reached 140k KM (87k Miles) and I was wondering who else has a high mileage van?
What maintenance have you had and what should we be looking out for in the future?

Skooby has had stainless steel exhaust and coolant pipes fitted some time ago. The water pump and timing belt were replaced a couple of years ago. This year I have had the front break callipers replaced (had been sticking) and a new oil sump fitted as previous one was starting to leak.

I have also had some bodywork repairs on the lower half - front sills below the doors, rear wheel arches etc. I use the van all year (it is my only vehicle) and it suffers from the winter road conditions.  

Back in the garage this week to take a look at a coolant leak as shown in the attached pic

Simon
Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? Img_6010
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 7:14 pm

Seems like you are looking after your camper very well. We're only around 50k miles.
However some things time out even if not too worn.
Time limited items are gas rubber hoses ? 5 years, tyres ? 7 years, fire-extinguisher ? expiry date
Worth a look
osg
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 8:36 pm

114k km, on third timing belt oil changed every 7k. Exhaust changed 10 years ago. On second engine battery starter motor replaced. Water pipes replaced 7 years ago, and red 9 fitted with power steering 2016. Got new sump to replace. On 3rd leisure battery bit of rust in usual places. Replaced back brake hoses for braided also replaced steel pipes for copper. Tim
Back to top Go down
Ardigon

Ardigon

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 3:27 pm

Dorinda has 90K and is nearly 10. Just noticed our first rust bubble (small) so thats on the cards. Timing belt done once. Second starter and leisure battery. Serviced every time the light come on..lol. Stainless exhaust. Is in garage as I write this with new rear brake cylinders and a front wheel bearing being fitted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ardigonsky.com
Skooby

Skooby

Cabin : Exec 046

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyThu Mar 30, 2023 6:47 pm

I forgot that the starter motor was replaced on mine a few years back too.
Thanks for the response - seems I have been keeping on top of the right things.

cheers
Simon
Back to top Go down
lukevk

lukevk

Cabin : Exec 083

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyFri Mar 31, 2023 11:03 am

On 142k - lots of parts have been replaced and a tremendous amount of bodywork!

Stainless exhaust, waterpipes, steering box, steering idler pin (2nd time around), ignition switch, lambda sensor, air intake pipe, sump, 3rd Timing belt/water pump kit, wiper spindles, ignition coil/leads, gearboxes....The list goes on!
Just fitted the starter motor, ignition switch and steering idler pin.

Serviced every year, greased every 3 months.

Luke
Back to top Go down
https://www.vankampers.co.uk/brazilian-vw-t2-kombi-spares/
VanFan2023

VanFan2023

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? EmptyFri Mar 31, 2023 1:10 pm

Babs has done just over 149K Very Happy

And she's just come back from Bristol Transmissions where she had her transmission bearings replaced along with a new spigot bearing and a new clutch fitted. She drives (and sounds) like a new van now!

I've replaced the fuel filler pipe (the rubber bit), fuel pump, ignition coil pack, new leads and new spark plugs.

I even had Lite-steer power steering fitted so that came with a new steering box.

Just about to do the idler pin next and then a bit of body work to do (a few bubbles have come up but nothing serious) - underneath is rust free!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?   Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who else is in the high mileage club? What should we be checking?
Page 1 of 1