brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Hello from a newcomer from Kent

Go down 
+14
jj123vw
AbsintheKombi
EJ
pastymaster
Matt
dazdub
michel_bonn
irishman
kiteman
Tallulah
dizzylizard
TimV
Scooby
castleb
18 posters
AuthorMessage
castleb

Cabin : Economy

Hello from a newcomer from Kent Empty
PostSubject: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi everyone, I am a newcomer to this forum and I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. My name is Rob and I live near Tunbridge Wells, West Kent

I do not own any camper...yet. I have recently retired and my wife plans to join me in this happy state early next year at which time we plan to see a bit more of this lovely country of ours in a camper van. We have just started the research (dreaming) phase of this process but are quickly whittling down our options.

We had a good friend who worked for Bilbo's and he always spoke highly of their conversions so, as it is only a handful of miles away, we have looked over their gleaming T5 delights. But then we became more and more aware of the good old T2 (nothing like it to raise a smile) so started to look at those too.

We will need a fairly reliable set of wheels (I am a willing but incompetent mechanic!) so we had a visit to VWKampers to see what they do to older vans and plan a similar trip to G'Day. But then became aware of the fact that these things are still made! And that is when I found this site and this has opened up new horizons.

I like the fact that this forum presents a worts'n'all view of the BrazilBay. I am also impressed that the importer and converter Danbury takes part. We are heading to the West Country in September so will try to book a test drive and showroom tour as part of this trip. BUT from this distance these bright shiny things look mighty fine!

Choices, choices! Do we go with with the head (T5 with its modern drive train, galvanised build and mechanics) or with the heart (new build T2, may be temperamental and need additional care and attention but so much fun to be had)? Time will tell and I'll let you know.

Thank you for help in getting us this far.

Cheers for now

Rob
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi & Welcome
Plenty of info on here to help you decide
But we would say a BraziBayT2 will be 'smiles' better than the rest
New or second hand, Air Cooled or Water Cooled
Rooby Roo
flower

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:02 pm

You've come to the right spot.

Do you think you'd find a bunch of T5 owners doing this?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Hello from a newcomer from Kent Melogo11
Back to top Go down
castleb

PostSubject: Would T5 Owners do this?   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Probably not....T5 it is then!

Thanks Tim, it made me laugh out loud

Just looked at the Sleepover vid too - seems like you are a nice bunch of people

Rob
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi and welcome.

castleb wrote:
Probably not....T5 it is then!
lol!

I would say that any problems that arise can, and are, generally sorted.

Good luck in your quest, and whatever you decide, (hopefully it will be a Brazi) enjoy, we certainly are. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm

We too are tempted by the T5 but as functional as it is, it just doesn't have the same style or appeal as a T2.

Lots of owners hired a camper first to help them make a decision.

If this is something you might be interested in then drop me a line and we'll work out a special forum member rate for you.

Keith.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Welcome to the forum

Think everyone here is going to say get a Brazzy T2. Yes they have there niggles but that's all part of owning one. Believe me you wont have half as much fun with a T5

Hello from a newcomer from Kent Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Welcome, go with a T2, you will not regret it!
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 pm

hi here in the forum, and a nice hello from germany :-)

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2-c.de
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi and welcome Brazilian bay all the way you know it makes sense you will have a lots of fun Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Hello Rob, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will find enough information here to help you in your choice. We had the same thoughts as you are having. What swayed us was that while test driving a T4 then, we both felt we could have been in any vehicle, and we knew that if we were camping and a T2 was next to us, we would spend the time looking lovingly at their vehicle and not ours.
The T2 is a style choice, it will bring you great pleasure, even with its 'character building' points. If you have always looked lovingly at old vw's and dreamed the dream, then it is deffinately for you. If not, and you just want a camper that is practical, then really the T5 is for you.

Matt.

Hello from a newcomer from Kent Img_2014
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with what ever you choose Smile

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
EJ

EJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello and welcome! Have fun choosing, Brazi T2's are the best though :-)

Heres to lots of fun times ahead! - including the planning and putting your wish list together :-) Lots of really useful info on here...

EJ
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Obviously we're all biased but Alison and I have had permagrins since we bought Absinthe last August.

At first we wondered what we'd done as the drive was "unusual" but very quickly we were smitten. We use her almost every weekend from spring onwards and we're having an absolute blast.

I'd take Tallulahs offer up and hire one for a weekend. I predict you'll be sold straightaway.

Oh and a warm welcome to the forum which is the font of all BraziBay knowledge...

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015

Last edited by Absinthe on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Hello and welcome from all at Danbury .... We look forward to showing you both the best T5's and T2's around... Very Happy This forum is full of great people and lots of help should you need it....Seeing the UK in a camper van is great way of enjoying your retirement !
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Good Luck with your decision and welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
stoneyuk

stoneyuk

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi from Aldershot - Eva our aircooled kombi is currently sick and being cared for but will soon be back on the road.
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with deciding, but I reckon a trial run in both T2 and T5 should make up your mind.
Back to top Go down
castleb

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Wow! Thank you all for the warm welcome and encouragement.

I will be taking time to read through the forum and I will contribute where I can. Given the support already provided I will be certain to ask more questions. The suggestion of a hire vehicle is well taken and we will be following this up. We will also be in contact with Danbury to explore that particular avenue.

Cheers for now

Rob
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Have a look in the Latest Topics section on right hand side of the forum, Tim's just found a 2005 Air-bus for £16500. Not hinting at all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
castleb

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Oh my!

Well it shows that when we do decide - temptation will hard to resist

Best

Rob
Back to top Go down
docmark

docmark

Cabin : Exec 022

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:58 pm

We also went through the same decision-making - I had planned a T5 conversion, lined up a local firm etc -------but it was not quite right ----- enthusiasm from the rest of the family was muted to say the least. I just couldn't finalise it - retirement was 1-2 years ahead - still time - still time.
Then I found Danbury site and the old-new intrigue - and finally we went visiting with one of our youngsters - who had to be involved as this was to be a truly family affair. We saw the amazing line-up that is always outside - T2s everywhere and then time into the show-room, the "back-room" and even sat in a T5 to ensure we were not being stupid!!
Yes it is absolutely true that our new van is smaller than a T5 on the outside, but bigger and roomier on the inside!
So a new T2 it had to be - bought and insured for all the family to use at anytime.
It has been great reliving our previous ownership of an original T2 but now with reliability built in (nearly!)
I completely recommend Danbury for all that has been said before - helpfulness, skills and enduring enthusiasm!! (- thank you big-D)

Enjoy making your choice, enjoy the anticipation and all the waves you get whenever you drive if you go T2!

M
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newcomer from Kent   Hello from a newcomer from Kent Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from a newcomer from Kent
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays-
Jump to: