brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

What did you do to your VW today?

Go down 
+67
RayC
harryhornet
kiteman
Baydreamer
Scooby
tatty
timmm
Matt
Bumble
Tony880
Voyager
Hemlock
Rebeldog
lynnand steve
stuartmeldrum
Ronnie Ringding
Si How
elliec
eddy
Sunshine Daisy
Surfwagen Stan
BigDubblya
gordonmac
sparkysteve
greeny
Ianvwk
adam ramp
URmysunshine
projectnmt
docmark
greenjc90
Feliz
Kaz
stoneyuk
Firebird
jj123vw
bonnie blue
ianclarke1970
jill
Chezguinness
Happyhouse
EvoFylde
osg
poddy
Bileos
michel_bonn
marcallison
absquatulation
sunny1
dazdub
EJ
primrose
AbsintheKombi
A@C
cavus
MarcusH
Dalesman
JLS 62
beakyboy
irishman
Skytiger
Dennis
dizzylizard
Tallulah
Sunny
TimV
oldskoolsboy
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Just don't touch the metal bits with wet hands!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Well done Abs - could you do a write-up about how you achieved this in the Kombi Kreative section for us?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 10:52 am

No problem, Tim. If I'm writing it, it really will be an idiot's guide.

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Took Absinthe out for the first time this year - was hoping for more sunshine but, hey, you can't have everything.

Stopped in Ramsbottom to visit the Farmers Market then sat outside a cafe with Alison and Boris, enjoying an americano (me that is, not Bozzer), then onward to Townley Hall in Burnley before walking to the Singing Ringing Tree - nice to be out again.

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Photo_10

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Photo_11

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Photo_14

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Photo_12

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Photo_13

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:30 am

Great pics abs :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Can you tell what it is yet?

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 13060750793_1480560704_c
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Clearly a good choice Sunny - side repeaters too?  Cool

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Scooby wrote:
Clearly a good choice Sunny - side repeaters too?  Cool
Yep, those too.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Very flash(er)  Laughing

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:09 pm

Transported the alloy from my Mum's Golf with its pothole burst tyre to Merityre for replacement and analysis of the wheel. Might be looking at Surrey CC coughing up for both tyre and alloy.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

TimV wrote:
Transported the alloy from my Mum's Golf with its pothole burst tyre to Merityre for replacement and analysis of the wheel. Might be looking at Surrey CC coughing up for both tyre and alloy.

...only if you can prove that they already knew about the hole and had not done anything about it... Freedom of information act....

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Councils are paying less and less for pothole claims. I think I read recently that the average claim for damages has reduced from £2k a coupe of years ago to £200 last year. And as Tallulah says, you've got to prove that they already knew about the pothole.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:13 am

Despite my dislike of all things google, I went out and bought a cheap Android phone and loaded on some software, letting me display all manner of wonderful dials and gauges.

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 13100877535_a6282bf16e_c

I've not played with it too much but there seems to be loads of configurations. Sadly the ECU doesn't seem to give voltage info, so I can't check the alternator. MPG is instantaneous but I can also get trip if wanted. There are several screens on which I can put any dial, gauge or graph I want. I initially had engine load but decided the screen was too cluttered, and although I could put it elsewhere, I can't be bothered to swipe across while driving.

Not bad for 50 quid all in.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:58 am

Sunny wrote:

That looks interesting Sunny, I like it.

When you say 50 quid all in does that include the software, and if so could you do a run through from start to finish, and what hardware is needed (I'm a complete numpty when it comes to computer stuff as you've probably realised already).  Rolling Eyes 

If I can get hold of the kit, I'm sure my lad would show me how to load it up.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 am

dizzylizard wrote:
Sunny wrote:

That looks interesting Sunny, I like it.

When you say 50 quid all in does that include the software, and if so could you do a run through from start to finish, and what hardware is needed (I'm a complete numpty when it comes to computer stuff as you've probably realised already).  Rolling Eyes 

If I can get hold of the kit, I'm sure my lad would show me how to load it up.
I fear I may have been a little misleading when I said "all in" Dizzy. That 50 quid was what I spent yesterday, already having an OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor from a diagnostic kit purchased last year. That said, you can pick up an adaptor for a tenner online. The software itself was free from the app store.

So, all that's needed:

1. Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor (from under £10 but beware cheap China cack)
2. Android (boo hiss spit) phone (I paid £50 but I've seen them for less)
3. Torque Lite (free though the pro version is £2.95)

I haven't seen what advantages the Pro version offers yet but as I'm unlikely to give Google Play Store my credit card details, it's a moot point. The Lite version does all I need.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:12 am

Is it something like this that plugs into the ECU, Chris?:

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 $T2eC16hHJHcFFkSF+lV2BSez3ouuP!~~60_12
(Bear in mind I use an iPhone)

Ebay Link

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 am

I think I have read elsewhere that it won't work with an A pole device.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 am

AbsintheKombi wrote:
Is it something like this that plugs into the ECU, Chris?:

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 $T2eC16hHJHcFFkSF+lV2BSez3ouuP!~~60_12
(Bear in mind I use an iPhone)

Ebay Link
Abs, that looks like the Apple equivalent, to be used in conjunction with an app like DashCommand from the app store. (I don't use Apple devices, so can't comment on it, sorry). However, I do see that this uses WiFi rather than Bluetooth, so does get around the i-device issue with non standard Bluetooth devices. It is also mentioned in the app write up on iTunes, so guess if you have an I-device, it's the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 am

Comparison: Torque Pro vs Torque Lite

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 pm

I was looking at buying a small (cheap) OBD2 reader but didn't know there was a wifi interface available - I did know that the Bluetooth interface wouldn't work with an Apple device - so I've bought one of these instead and will play with Apple apps to find the one that works for me.

Good work guys!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Like it.
Would like to know how the app gets the MPG data, can't get my ECU project to get any Mass Airflow readings to calculate the MPG. Would be good to know how accurate it is. Lookinbg forward to some updates

Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Cheers for that Sunny, would one of these do for the OBD2 sender, or is this one of the cheapo Chinese ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Android-Support/dp/B009NPAORC/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1YECW4LIT5DCL&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1394628997&sr=1-1#productDescription

Or would it be better to go for something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner-ANDROID/dp/B00D6B6V80/ref=pd_sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T0Q9E7D95JG5Y78K6K1

I did borrow a mates EOBD reader that was supposed to be OBD11/EOBD and CAN compliant last year, but it didn't seem to work on the kombi, so I want to make sure I get the right thing.

The phone and download I should be able to sort myself.

Thanks for your patience in advance.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Tallulah wrote:
Comparison: Torque Pro vs Torque Lite
Thanks for that. I had a feeling the differences were along those lines but as I'm only interested in real time info and not Check Fault Codes, View Map, Test Results or Graphing, I see no point in the upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 pm

kiteman wrote:
Like it.
Would like to know how the app gets the MPG data, can't get my ECU project to get any Mass Airflow readings to calculate the MPG. Would be good to know how accurate it is. Lookinbg forward to some updates
I'm not sure, as you're right, there is no MAF data. I've checked the sensors for available data and it is:

Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Load
Rpm
Fuel trim bank 1 sensors 1 & 2
Air intake temp
Intake manifold pressure
O2 volts bank 1 sensors 1 & 2
Throttle position
Timing advance
Speed
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 6:38 pm

dizzylizard wrote:
Cheers for that Sunny, would one of these do for the OBD2 sender, or is this one of the cheapo Chinese ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Android-Support/dp/B009NPAORC/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1YECW4LIT5DCL&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1394628997&sr=1-1#productDescription

Or would it be better to go for something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner-ANDROID/dp/B00D6B6V80/ref=pd_sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T0Q9E7D95JG5Y78K6K1

I did borrow a mates EOBD reader that was supposed to be OBD11/EOBD and CAN compliant last year, but it didn't seem to work on the kombi, so I want to make sure I get the right thing.

The phone and download I should be able to sort myself.

Thanks for your patience in advance.
Dizzy, I suggest you have a look at this page first http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters . You'll then get an idea of what will or won't work. I'm reluctant to recommend any adaptor on the grounds that there are some shonky adaptors around. I personally have the scantool but that hardly falls into the sub-10 quid category. Some cheap ones will work, some won't. Sadly the quality control of some is poor. Also the security. Another factor about the scantool is that it needs to be physically paired via push button, rather than just having an open BT connection. I've read of reports of some cars being hacked because of open OBD2 readers allowing access to ECUs, while people drive alongside. Not something I'd want.

The other thing to be aware of is, does the unit have a sleep mode? If you leave it plugged in, you may find yourself with a flat battery in the morning if it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your VW today?   Roof - What did you do to your VW today? - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your VW today?
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: