brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Heater Project

Go down 
+13
tiggy23
eddy
osg
dazdub
Baydreamer
Skytiger
Kev
irishman
TimV
olive
Scooby
max
kiteman
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Heater Project - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:17 pm

After a chat with Lilyvdub at the Danbury open day, another idea was brought up.
The fan speed for the heater is either fast or very fast. Once the screen is clear the fan doesn't need to be running as fast.

Had a little nose at the system already fitted and found that the fan fitted is a dual speed fan. It has two coils, one for fast and one for very fast. Any three position switch will do the same as the switch already fitted.
To get the fan speed even slower then a controller needs to be fitted. On my search around the internet I've found THIS
So am going to have a go at fitting it to mine

Looking at using the original switch and using the extra position that isn't used to give me three speeds. If not will just install the system as supplied giving any speed from 0 to max rpm.

________________________________________________________________________________
Heater Project - Page 3 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:31 pm

You've got too much time on your hands......get a proper job! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm hoping to get a job like yours Irishman Smile

________________________________________________________________________________

Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:42 pm

They're difficult to come by, very long interview process!!!
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Kiteman
For your new fan control device the option of 0-100% ie. infinitely variable choice of NOISE seems a very good idea.
osg
Back to top Go down
max

max

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Good Job, Mr Kite. I concur, 0-100 is the way to go!

Like a Star @ heaven Rennsemmel Like a Star @ heaven ('Racing Roll')
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

The speed controller turned up the other day. Had a little look to try and get it to work with the original switch but to no avail. Crying or Very sad

The rotary potentiometer that is used to control the motor speed is too small for the hole originally drilled into the dashboard, so I've got one of THESE from ebay.

Will have a go at fitting it tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:47 pm

The variable speed switch is now fitted Very Happy

Used one of THESE. can't seem to find any in the UK.

stuck that next to the heater box.

Heater Project - Page 3 Imag0510

For the power I pulled the connector off the back of the dash switch. The Orange wire is the earth and the red wire is the mains from the ignition. Just cut off the plug and crimped the ends to get the power down to the heater plug using the exisiting loom.

Heater Project - Page 3 Imag0511

That gave me the mains power into the controller. The power to the fan used the other end of the plug that goes to the heater fan.
When looking at the plug, the black wire is the earth and the blue wire the one for full speed, the red is for half speed.
Connected the yellow from the controller to the earth and the white to the blue full speed.

Heater Project - Page 3 Imag0513

Soldered the new rotary dial, as shown in the previous post, to a longer cable to reach the dash. Had to file the flat part of the dial stem to get the original knob to fit. then fixed it to the dash.

Heater Project - Page 3 Imag0512

Now have 0 - 100% speed.

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:25 pm

You are the kiddie kiteman!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Heater Project - Page 3 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Well done Kiteman
You can now also control fan noise levels as well?

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:07 pm

you beat me to it young kiteman !!!!! glad to see you have it working ,will keep you posted on mine.
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 am

Hi Kiteman just fitting the variable speed unit just one question did you use the old heater switch to turn power on/off or do you just turn it down to zero. Thanks Tim

PS good to meet you at vanfest
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 pm

I just turn the dial down to zero, seems to do the trick.

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Been having a bit of a mess around with my heating system again.

As people who have seen my project will know the selector switch didn't work as well as I wanted it to. I have been playing with a touch screen and seem to have got it working Smile

The touch screen is from a mobile phone which I got of ebay for £2 Smile

Had to change the display as the touch screen is smaller than the LCD. The 'O's being vent open and the '-'s vent closed

Heater Project - Page 3 2012-010

The idea will now be. If I want to open or close any of the vents all I need to do is touch the word of the vent I want to open or close.
It's working on the bench, all I need to do is try and connect it to the system. Then make a new bezel for the LCD screen to tidy it all up

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Looking good Cool
You must have it fully operational for Volksworld Wink

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I am constantly amazed and impressed by your development of the Kiteman Air Transportation System.
Looking forward to your next installment

Matt.

Heater Project - Page 3 Img_2014
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Kiteman
Brilliant (as usual)
Is there a failsafe which prevents all flaps closed at the same time - to save the fan from blocked air flow?
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 pm

The heater box is split into 3 sections.
The top half goes to the screen vents, the lower left is ducted to the passenger seat and the lower right is open and blows air to the driver.
Even if all the flaps are closed the air will still go towards the driver.

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 am

Kiteman said
"The heater box is split into 3 sections.
The top half goes to the screen vents, the lower left is ducted to the passenger seat and the lower right is open and blows air to the driver."

So air to the driver has no flap and is always open.
I'm now still a bit confused as to which 3 flaps connect to your 3 control commands of
'Left', 'Front' and 'Screen'
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 am

Left goes to the passenger.

Screen is for the windscreen.

Front is for the Air vents at the front that used to be rivited shut for the RHD conversion.

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 am

Front - round vents that point at the side windows?

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 pm

The front ventilation flaps behind the front grill, just below the front screen, between the indicators.

They open to let fresh air in now. Get a lovelly cool breeze on the legs in the summer.

See Here
for original modification

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:40 pm

AHA! So not 'technically' connected to the heater at all. Now that's a feature I would definitely like to have.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Been watching progress in complete wonderment Kiteman, a great project, but I started to get lost with the electronics onward! Shocked

Heater Project - Page 3 Dizzy_10

I presume these are the front vents mentioned above. My question is do the imports come without the vents, or are they removed by Danbury. The only reason I can see for removal is that something is riveted from outside (you can just see the back of the rivet slightly offcentre on the bottom edge) and this rivet fouls the vent. The void is filled with something akin to a black bin liner, and the mounting holes covered with masking tape, so I would prefer to put the proper covers back at some future date. Rolling Eyes Smile
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 4:55 pm

The front vents are normally ducted to the front screen and the vents at the end of the dash. These used to be removed by Danbury when they were converted to RHD as the steering column and dash are in the way. The front flaps are then riveted shut.
On LHD kombis everything is still in place.
The void is left empty. The black stuff you can see is the foam seal used on the back of the flaps to help seal them when they'r closed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heater Project   Heater Project - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Heater Project
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: Maintenance/Technical :: Kombi Kreative-
Jump to: