brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Last Edition, possible purchase!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Favguy

Favguy

Cabin : Club

Last Edition, possible purchase! Empty
PostSubject: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 7:52 am

Hello all, first post here. I'm going to look at a last edition today, so will come back and let you all know if I get it. If I do I intend to blog about my progress in perfecting it and doing a camper conversion over time.

Paul Smile

Last edited by Favguy on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 8:30 am

Favguy wrote:
Hello all, first post here. I'm going to look at a last edition today, so will come back and let you all know if I get it. If I do I intend to blog about my progress in perfecting it and doing a camper conversion over time.

Paul Smile

Good luck Paul

Hope it goes well today

Favguy likes this post

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 4:09 pm

Some First Editions must have very low mileage.
We pass a house with one very often but it always stands unused on the driveway.
By chance today we met it as it was driving home.
Standing and not running for long periods can adversely affect the tyres - not sure what else?
osg

Favguy likes this post

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 2:24 pm

osg wrote:

Standing and not running for long periods can adversely affect the tyres - not sure what else?
osg

Agreed.

Batteries.....
Keys losing sync with immobilisers .....
Vermin eating away at the wiring ......
Brakes seizing.....

I've seen it all. Basketball

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Last Edition, possible purchase! Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyFri May 05, 2023 10:11 am

Well, I've ended up buying the Last edition Kombi, so I'll keep you all up to date on progress with it. Picking it up next Wednesday. Smile

Voyager and Bumble like this post

Back to top Go down
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyFri May 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Favguy wrote:
Well, I've ended up buying the Last edition Kombi, so I'll keep you all up to date on progress with it. Picking it up next Wednesday. Smile
Congratulations
Let the fun begin

Favguy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyFri May 05, 2023 6:29 pm

Well done

Favguy likes this post

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyFri May 05, 2023 7:56 pm

Looking forward to your progress reports
osg

Favguy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 9:24 am

Well I picked up the bus yesterday! So far I absolutely love it, and hate it at the same time!

It's such a cool bus and overall in really excellent condition.

But... The drive home was harrowing to say the least, the steering and handling is absolutely horrific, not just the usual bus slackness, it's really too unsafe to drive anymore until I get it looked at. It might be a combination of the slack steering, ludicrously low profile wide tyres and very dropped suspension (that I think has been done badly). Then the exhaust drone, it's just awful, it's got a modified manifold, cat and exhaust that's been done to increase performance, but it sounds hideous. (It is pretty fast though, for a bus anyway)

Today I'll get it washed off and dried and put in the garage, then I can have a proper look at just how much of a money pit I've bought myself here!

But again, it's such a cool bus, I love it, just hope it doesn't bankrupt me.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 12:39 pm

What's the mileage on the bus? If it's rarely been used the steering should be spot on.

Still LHD or converted to RHD?

Factory wheels or other?

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 12:40 pm

Oh hang on .... is this MD62 PXH?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:35 pm

TimV wrote:

Yes... go on, you're going to tell me how you know it's got crap steering aren't you?!  Rolling Eyes

Joking aside, just over 8k miles at present, it's got a litesteer column fitted last January that I need to look at, am I right in thinking on the Brazilians they come complete with their own steering box? I'm thinking this might be part of the issue... I'll know more when I get it up in the air to have a look later today or tomorrow.

Last edited by Favguy on Thu May 11, 2023 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:39 pm

Favguy wrote:
TimV wrote:

Yes... go on, you're going to tell me how you know it's got crap steering aren't you?!  Rolling Eyes

Joking aside, just over 8k miles at present, it's got a litesteer column fitted last January that I need to look at, am I right in thinking on the Brazilians they come complete with their own steering box? I'm thinking this might be the issue... I'll know more when I get it up in the air to have a look later today or tomorrow.

Those massive alloys don't help plus the raked stance of the bus.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:42 pm

So it got it's first proper wash and look over, I haven't found any more issues at all on the bodywork as you often do on the first proper clean, so that's a good start.

It's tucked up in the garage for now, I need to rearrange my working space then it's going up in the air on stands and the wheels are coming off to have a proper look at what we're dealing with. Sadly I can't get it on my lift, as it's not possible to drive onto the lift whilst clearing the garage door on a van, so I'm back to old school floor work, yuk!

Last Edition, possible purchase! 20230510
Last Edition, possible purchase! 20230511

TimV likes this post

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:48 pm

TimV wrote:
Favguy wrote:
TimV wrote:

Joking aside, just over 8k miles at present, it's got a litesteer column fitted last January that I need to look at, am I right in thinking on the Brazilians they come complete with their own steering box? I'm thinking this might be the issue... I'll know more when I get it up in the air to have a look later today or tomorrow.

Those massive alloys don't help plus the raked stance of the bus.

Yeah, I think it's a combination of things, it's frankly a death trap to drive at the moment, I'm not even kidding about that, a driver only used to modern stuff may not have made it back! I came across a very undulating A road on the way up through lincolnshire that caught me unawares and it damn nearly threw me into a ditch!  The steering & suspension set up is absolutely hideous.

I'll humour you all some more later when it's up on stands and I can see it all properly.

Last edited by Favguy on Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 1:56 pm

TimV wrote:

Hey Tim, are you VW Kampers? If so, you fitted the Litesteer to this bus!

Last edited by Favguy on Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyThu May 11, 2023 9:26 pm

Favguy wrote:
TimV wrote:

Hey Tim, are you VW Campers? If so, you fitted the litesteer to this bus!

VW Kampers. Indeed we did.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyFri May 12, 2023 1:57 am

TimV wrote:
Favguy wrote:
TimV wrote:

Hey Tim, are you VW Campers? If so, you fitted the litesteer to this bus!

VW Kampers.  Indeed we did.

Small world this Brazilian lark!

How long are the Lite-steer units warrantied for? There appears to be some oil weeping from the bottom of the box on mine, it's relatively slight, so it might just need the 4 bolts on the bottom plate nipping up to tighten the gasket, but never the less is worrying to see at only 3800 miles since fitting last February.

I'm going to check it properly for play tomorrow along with the rest of the system and check the oil level. Are these units prone to needing an adjustment to take up play after an initial running in period at all?
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptyFri May 12, 2023 2:27 am

Some progress. So I've got the bus up in the air now and the wheels off and had a better look at it. Good to see there is no rust at all on the chassis, it does appear to have been quite well undersealed. There are however a lot of rubbing marks under the front tubs from wheel contact!

I measured the ride height whilst on level ground before I started any jacking and established it's currently riding 6" lower than standard at the front and 4" lower at the rear!

It looks like good news that my worst fears of a torsion leaf hack to lower the front wasn't done either as there are adjusters welded to the beam, and the welding looks to have been quite well done too. This is pleasing, as I still want to retain a gentle lowering of 1 to 2 inches and this means I can achieve that with just a re-adjustment and fitting a set of 1 or 2 inch dropped rear spring plates. Lets hope the adjusters actually adjust OK!

Talking of spring plates, do we all want a laugh? What you are about to see may shock you, so avert your eyes if easily offended.

Behold the current rear spring plates, have you ever seen anything so diabolically S***e!

Last Edition, possible purchase! 20230514
Last Edition, possible purchase! 20230515

The right hand side spring plate appears to have been made up from parts of 3 other spring plates welded together, with a part of a broken adjusted left on it just for fun. The left hand side appears to be still utilizing a badly made adapter that has been badly welded on, causing a hole through most of the piece of plate it's attached to, it looks like it could collapse at any minute if it hit a large pothole. Scary to think the last owner drove to Spain and back with it like this!!

I can't wait to get them off and in the recycling pile, but it's going to be a while, as new plates have a lead time of about 2 months!

Back soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptySat May 13, 2023 12:54 am

Well, I've been over the steering system now. Everything was nice and tight as it really should be at this mileage, except for the steering box, which did have lots of play with the steering set at the centre position, when there shouldn't be any. I've adjusted it properly and the slop has almost entirely gone from the system now. I also tightened up the 4 bottom plate bolts on the box, which were quite loose, this seems to have been the cause of oil seepage through the gasket, but was clearly just seepage rather than an actual leak, so I've thoroughly cleaned it and will keep a look out for any further oil seepage. So good news in that I've probably reduced the overall terrible steering and handling somewhat. Next job is to move on to raising the front axle height to a more sensible level.

I am going to talk with Lite-steer and/or VW Kampers as well regarding this, as the amount of looseness in the steering box at such a minimal time and mileage from fitting is of concern. I'm hoping it's just a lack of correct setting up and adjustment rather than premature wear.
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptySat May 13, 2023 1:44 pm

So lets have a look at the current front lowering...

As previously mentioned, the bus has beam adjusters fitted, but looking at the current setting, I'm unable to raise the bus by adjusting these, as they're already set close to their lowest position, so these can only allow for further lowering at the moment. Now this shouldn't be the case, so there must be something else going on here...

[url=https://servimg.com/view/20498638/7
Last Edition, possible purchase! 20230516[/url]

So what else is going on? Dropped spindles are in attendance as well is what! But can you spot the weird thing about them?

Last Edition, possible purchase! 20230517

Spotted it yet? Wink Let me know below if you can see it.

Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! EmptySun May 14, 2023 10:07 am

Blog decisions...

Hi all, I'm not sure this is the right forum for a blog like this one, so I'll be continuing one on thesamba.com, so here is where this one ends.

I'll still be around here for following and interacting in general chat. Smile

For those interested, you can follow along at:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=780362

TimV likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Edition, possible purchase!   Last Edition, possible purchase! Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Edition, possible purchase!
Page 1 of 1