brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs

Go down 
+19
MarcusH
RayC
Ronnie Ringding
554 BAY
Bumble
Feliz
chairboy_paul
osg
belgiumbay
docmark
harryhornet
EvoFylde
chef
Sunny
Batman
AbsintheKombi
Dalesman
dizzylizard
TimV
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 pm

All fitted today with no problems. You can certainly see the difference. Once I'd installed the first bulb I switched them on to make a comparison. The Philips X-tremeVision bulb produces a strong white light as opposed to the yellowish light from the old bulb. Time for a spot of night driving.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 pm

harryhornet wrote:
All fitted today with no problems. You can certainly see the difference. Once I'd installed the first bulb I switched them on to make a comparison. The Philips X-tremeVision bulb produces a strong white light as opposed to the yellowish light from the old bulb. Time for a spot of night driving.
Ah, you did the old side by side comparison. I skipped that step. Wish I'd done it so I could see the improvement. Instead I had to make do with a drive at night to see the whiter light going that bit further. Trouble was, I then couldn't remember what it had been like, only this was better, I thought, or so the packaging said Wink But it is better, and that's good enough.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Fitted mine today, and did the side by side test like you Harryhornet, a big difference.

Found loads of rubbish behind the lamps, so did a good clearout as well plus a bit of waxoyl for good measure.

Sunny wrote:
Those small self tappers are fiddly, especially with cold, numb fingers.

If others are doing the upgrade, I found it best putting the self tapper, adjacent to where the trim screw goes in, half way at first, as you get more lee-way.

(PS I might be stating the b......g obvious, but don't forget to re-connect the earth wires, one on the offside, two on the nearside.)
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 3:57 pm

dizzylizard wrote:
PS I might be stating the b......g obvious, but don't forget to re-connect the earth wires, one on the offside, two on the nearside.
Good Tip Wink

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
docmark

docmark

Cabin : Exec 022

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Ordered mine some time ago - posted on 23rd Jan - and still waiting - so cannot comment on brightness - unless it is in the post office lost forever room!
still waiting!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 pm

docmark wrote:
Ordered mine some time ago - posted on 23rd Jan - and still waiting - so cannot comment on brightness - unless it is in the post office lost forever room!
still waiting!

That's no good - I'd get onto them if I were you.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 am

docmark wrote:
Ordered mine some time ago - posted on 23rd Jan - and still waiting

Two weeks is too long - agree with Tim, you should get back in touch with them

Back to top Go down
docmark

docmark

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Very helpful company - friendly email of advice
My bulbs have been found lurking in the Royal Mail package-room - case of lost and found - they lost them and only "found" them when severely prompted!!
So - now waiting for rain and snow to stop and a sunny day to coincide with time off - soon I hope!
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm

docmark wrote:

So - now waiting for rain and snow to stop and a sunny day to coincide with time off - soon I hope!
Too many variables. You're best bet is one or the other. Wink

(But great the bulbs were found)
Back to top Go down
docmark

docmark

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Oh well - an umbrella and a torch perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

docmark wrote:
Oh well - an umbrella and a torch perhaps?

and a nice warm coat.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
belgiumbay

belgiumbay

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 am

If anybody is heading over to the benelux or Germany this year it is always worth popping into Lidl to see what car parts are on offer - each year i have managed to pic up Blu vison ultras for around 5 euro each bulb. While we use the blu's as French N and D roads can be very dark at nigh and being seen is often more important than how far you can see, but the white xtremes are usually stocked by Lidl as well for same price. Seems to work on around a 3 month rotations there for a week or two then gone for three months then back again so a bit hit and miss but worth the look if you fill up the larder at the same time.
Back to top Go down
docmark

docmark

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 pm

now fitted (in the rain) and tested (in the dark!). It is rather interesting now being able to see where I am going in the dark for a change - takes some of the fun out of driving?
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 6:29 pm

It's great that they are fitted and working well.

docmark wrote:
takes some of the fun out of driving?

There will always be side winds and the wandering Laughing

Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Had a slight problem over the weekend, the nearside main beam was intermittent.

Quickly sorted though, should have followed my own advice about the earth tags, because it was freezing, I hadn't cleaned them properly, and as with a lot of wiring problems, they weren't making proper contact.

As an aside, while checking them in the dark, I noticed a warm glow underneath the rear end. I hadn't realised the engine compartment light was manually operated, (no niceties like a switch on the door, from Brazil)

Looks like I have been driving around all winter like that. Embarassed Still on the upside, I could always 'Bling up' Dizzy by fitting a blue bulb and neon wheel spinners. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:42 pm

[quote]Engine compartment light[quote]

What's that then? Have I got one? How do I switch it on?

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 pm

News to me too
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Do keep up chaps - it comes on when you have the sidelights/headlights on. Wink

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 pm

That explains my ignorance. I don't go out after dark (it's grim up North)

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Tim said, of the engine compartment light....
Quote :
Do keep up chaps - it comes on when you have the sidelights/headlights on.

That is correct it will only work when the sidelights are lit.
However, on our's, there is a push switch on the lamp unit itself which can be used to turn it off totally.

osg
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Its up above the wiring loom between the hinges on the back panel. The switch is the brass nib.

Apologies for out of focus pic, I took it by Braille from inside the engine compartment.

Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 Roll_p15
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Have we all got this?

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Absinthe wrote:
Have we all got this?
Dunno and not about to check as I'm sat in a comfy chair in front of a nice fire with drink in hand.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Me too. Mrs B is just back from Gloucester and tells me it's nearly wine o'clock.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Absinthe wrote:
Have we all got this?

Yes.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs   Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Get a brighter view ... upgrade your bulbs
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next