brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Towbar fitting

Go down 
+14
Tallulah
michel_bonn
Roobarb
Andy
haum
Scooby
irishman
Dilly
jj123vw
TimV
olive
steve andrews
Skytiger
Hilary
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy

Cabin : Club

Towbar fitting - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 3:37 pm

I have done a bit of research and looked at a few towbars...

Like discussed before the late bay (Watling PVW15) uses two holes you have to drill in the middle of the back panel, but on a late bay this is double skinned and welded in so is a structural part of the van.

There is very little point in bolting through here on a Brazilian van, as its just a flimsy bolted in panel.

From what I can make out the Danbury supplied one, is a bit of a special one made for them by Watling, and they have just basically taken the late bay one, left off the bracket where it bolts through the back panel, and added two small brackets which you attach using the standard read panel bolts at either end.

It also seems to be made with a bit less offset, so the hitch sits higher up tight underneath the brazilian bumper, as obviously late bays had those deeper Europa bumpers.

I think I might buy a late bay one and modify it myself.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 4:52 pm

So on that basis wouldn't it follow that an Early Bay towbar would fit?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Towbar fitting - Page 3 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm

I dont know about all early bar towbars, but the Watling one for them doesnt bolt on using the bumper iron bolts, it uses three holes in the side of the chassis rail, which have three captive nuts in there ready.

Next door had an old Westy early bay towbar kicking about, which also used the same three holes, I offered it upto my van and there was one hole in the right place, but no captive nut.

So looks like early bay towbar is a no-go.

I have ordered a Watling late bay one now, and will either give it a bit of a tweak with the grinder when it arrives, or might just fit it and not worry about bolting through the middle bit.
Back to top Go down
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Watling PVW15 towbar arrived this morning and its on the van already... I did chop of the bracket in the middle and ground it flat, but didnt see any need to add the extra brackets.

You use the two existing bumper iron holes, and then a third hole which is forward from them... The hole is in the chassis rail ready but it has no captive nut welded in, so had to stick an M10 rivnut in there.

Had to tweak the bottom edge of the bumper, as fouled the bit that drops down to put the towball on, but 30 seconds with the grinder, a clean up and some paint and all was good.

Just got to wire it up now... and am wondering if as its a legal requirement to have a warning buzzer for trailer lights, and as they are now testing towbar electrics on the MOT if I have the buzzer in behind the rear lights is it a fail if they cant hear it?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 pm

I'd imagine it is a legal requirement to have and hear the buzzer - why else would they be fitted otherwise .....?

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 pm

I've got a light instead, I believe you can have either buzzer or light, I got a kit that replaced the original flasher relay and had a light come off that. I had a buzzer in my Jeep Cherokee drove me nuts around town "indicating" all the time.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Skytiger wrote:

I've got a light instead, I believe you can have either buzzer or light, I got a kit that replaced the original flasher relay and had a light come off that. I had a buzzer in my Jeep Cherokee drove me nuts around town "indicating" all the time.

It should only buzz/light up when the tow electrics are connected to something - not permanently. So that begs the question, will MOT test stations definitively test towbars and electrics?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 pm

The electrics are not part of the test yet, according to UK Campsite Info but I think it will come eventually.

Sorry I tell a lie as of January 2012 they are tested.
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

Cabin : Exec 072

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi folks
I'm sooo jelous of all you lucky ones who have got out camping this weekend - Batgirl has a stinking cold and wasn't up to it. No

Oh well ....... she's making a start on the new covers for the rear seats for Robin - and I've booked him into a decent place for the new seat runners to be fitted.

And - next project - TOWBAR!
Is the Just Kampers J11370 still the best one to get for our buses?
I had a look under and after reading Skytigers excellent write-up (thanks for that mate) I'm feeling confident that it's in my realm of DIY! - I have a good drill, angle grinder and discs.
There is one on ebay at the moment - that would come in a few quid cheaper - but not sure if it would fit.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tow-Bar-VW-T2-Late-Bay-And-Modified-Tow-Bar-For-Big-Bore-Exhaust-System?item=330701750988&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7602071246976092135
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Just a little update on my towbar.

Andy wrote:
I did chop of the bracket in the middle and ground it flat, but didnt see any need to add the extra brackets.

You use the two existing bumper iron holes, and then a third hole which is forward from them... The hole is in the chassis rail ready but it has no captive nut welded in, so had to stick an M10 rivnut in there.

Had to tweak the bottom edge of the bumper,

I have since chopped off this middle bracket from my Just Kampers J11370 towbar Andy and agree no need for extra one's. This is the way to do it.

For the third hole I used a seat belt mounting plate with a captive nut already welded to it and cut down the plate so it would fit inside the chassis through an access hole and used a seatbelt bolt to attach the towbar.

I also had to cut a little out the bumper but it isn't much.

Unfortunately I'm left with two holes in my panel, two rubber grommets will fix that though, however my panel was a bit rusty anyway but only found out that when it was at paint, so will probably get a new one anyway once it's totally rusted away.

You can see my holes in the highlighted area of the rear lower panel
Towbar fitting - Page 3 DSCN1417-1
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:45 pm

I took a couple of pics of my towbar today.
Towbar fitting - Page 3 DSCN1450

Towbar fitting - Page 3 DSCN1447

Towbar fitting - Page 3 DSCN1444
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Sorry if this is going round in circles, please could someone confirm that this is the correct Tow Bar kit from JK to fit our Brazis.

JK Tow Bar Kit

I'm happy to grind off the extra bracket and tidy things up, just need to know that this is the right one.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:05 am

FYI This part is on special offer to members of the new Danbury Owners Club this month only.....Fits well too without having to cut brackets off etc . To join e mail your details to: beetlesukltd@yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 am

Sounds good Jason, please can you provide the owners club price for a Tow Bar kit (brackets, electrics, tow ball etc), supply only and without courier costs (we will arrange to collect it.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi. A newsletter will coming out soon to all Danbury owners club members with this offer.. In the meantime Ill PM you.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Many thanks.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:05 am

Hello ,
i want to asks for a "tow hitches" in the front of the car.
i have found here a toy for the axis in the frint
look here
http://www.aircooled-depot.de/Karmann-Ghia/Zubehoer/Zierteile-Aussen/Abschlepphaken-vorne-fuer-VW-Kaefer.html

do you know about this? i have this see the first time and want to asks you, if it is okay or good?
always when i need a garage, i must take my car at a trailer. so with this i could do this in the front axis, and take a metal tow bar.
so what do you think about this?
best to you all
michel

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:07 am

vergotten:
what is the width or diameter from the axis in the front, because this toy i could buid my self at working place now. :-)

Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 10:27 am

since a few days i have a new information abaout the orginal towbar from our car.
i always heard before, that we didnt could buy a orginal towbar from the car.

but a "friend" told me he has bought a orginal! from brazil.
he ahs bought it and take 2 photos.
okay here they are for looking
all the best
michel
Towbar fitting - Page 3 <a href=Towbar fitting - Page 3 Ahk111" />

Towbar fitting - Page 3 <a href=Towbar fitting - Page 3 Ahk212" />

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 10:39 am

Looks great Michel, I especially like the chrome towball!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes, I like that. With all that chrome it doesn't need to be detachable. I wonder if we could find a source for import, maybe Danbury could get hold of them.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Alderley. We sell tow bars already at Danbury :-)
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 12:51 pm

jj123vw wrote:
Alderley. We sell tow bars already at Danbury :-)

Do they look like that? I am thinking of fitting a towbar, but I want something which is either detachable or looks as good as the one in Michel's photo.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 12:56 pm

We offer fixed or detachable. They don't have a chrome look to the end but unless this is very very high quality it may tarnish and not look very good in time…? We've supplied 100's of our tow bars with no problems. We can fit for you at the same time as a service etc if easier or send it to you via courier . Just call the parts department on 01454 310000 and ask for Dave. Thanks
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Alderley you can get a detachable towbar direct from Watling and take advantage of a discount by being a member of our Executive Club.

Search New Towbar on the Market.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Towbar fitting
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next