brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Timbo

Cabin : Club

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Empty
PostSubject: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi guys, we're getting a towbar for Waky, primarily so we can carry bikes given that we have the spare wheel on the back. I've been trawling the forum for info and found lots of useful stuff - the Watling towbars sound good and I've been in touch to confirm availability.

The bit I'm struggling to find any information on is which bike racks are suitable given that we have the wheel on the back. I'm presuming that I don't need the towball attached and then fitting something like this will suffice:

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycle_carriers/buyCycleCarrier.php?partNo=ZX99

But I've not been able to find much about this. Does anyone have experience of the towbar + external wheel + bike rack combination that they could provide any insights for us? (We only need 2 bikes as a minimum.)

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.weatherstudios.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 7:23 am

@greenjc90 can help you with that.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 9:37 am

I'm not sure if the standard MaxxRaxx bike carrier that we use would clear a rear carrier as we don't have one, but it might and I'm happy to test the theory next time the opportunity comes up.

However, MaxxRaxx also produce what they call a "4x4 bike carrier" which has a bend in the upright so that any mounted bikes sit further away from the vehicle giving clearance to rear mounted spare wheels. This would definitely do the trick.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
greenjc90

greenjc90

Cabin : Exec 039

PostSubject: Re: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi - I have got the Pendle bike rack.  It requires a tow bar.  But the 'bike rack' itself is just two parallel bars designed to clear the rear wheel on the back of the van. You 'hang' the bike on the bars and secure with bungees. You need an additional number plate with lights etc.  It is easy to mount and easy to store - at home the two bars live in a corner of the shed, when we are away in the van they just get put under the van whilst camping - unless mounted without bikes and used as a washing line! Pics below (including Tim and Keith in lycra!):

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Img_1710

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Img_1910

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Img_1912

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Img_1911
Back to top Go down
greenjc90

greenjc90

Cabin : Exec 039

PostSubject: Re: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Here's one more pic with two bikes mounted and ready to go.  Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Img_1010
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Thanks very much guys - really appreciate the help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.weatherstudios.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance   Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance Empty

Back to top Go down

Towbar bike rack with spare wheel clearance
Page 1 of 1