brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....

Go down 
+29
ianclarke1970
sunny1
jme
Sunny
Batman
KC
thesplitsombrero
Dalesman
JLS 62
jj123vw
yabbit
Matt
steve andrews
Tallulah
AbsintheKombi
geoff&rach
dizzylizard
Skytiger
irishman
absquatulation
dazdub
EOS2010
Scooby
kiteman
Captain Haddock
dean&jo
butten
jboa
TimV
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

How did you get to your Brazilian Bay?
I just knew I had to have one
Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_lcap42%Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_rcap
 42% [ 55 ]
I hired one before I bought
Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_lcap8%Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 11 ]
I had a Classic T2 previously
Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_lcap17%Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 22 ]
I looked at Classic Bays too but chose the Kombi
Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_lcap33%Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 131

AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Empty
PostSubject: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:52 pm

When I was looking for my camper I considered buying an original '70s model at the same time as looking at the Brazilian T2. To help me decide whether I wanted to go Classic or Kombi I hired a Brazilian T2 for a few days. Having handed the keys of the rental Bay back my mind was made up and Max was in my driveway pretty soon after that. I've owned plenty of Volkswagens over the years but had never had a VW Camper before. So it got me thinking - how did others find their path to a Brazilian T2?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Melogo11
Back to top Go down
jboa

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:07 pm

We spent almost a year trying to decide whether to go down the old '70s route or get a new one. As it was going to be a daily driver our main concern was reliability, and not having the space to tinker around with a older '70s van we ended up getting a new Brazilian van.

Although we haven't had any problem with our van i don't know if I would do the same again. Would probably get a second hand Brazilian bay with low mileage, save around £10k and convert it myself.
Back to top Go down
butten

butten

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Basically, we loved our 1976 T2 but I was afraid to stop anywhere in case we couldn't start her. I had a minor breakdown on the way to Vanfest in 2008 after having returned from vanfest 2007 on an RAC trailer. I saw my Brazilian for sale as I was leaving the site in 2008. We robbed all our kids savings, emptied our accounts got a loan ( until we sold our T2 ) and bought the Brazilian a couple of days later. It's a dream I am not the slightest anxious when I travel now, and hopefully she will see us through until I pop my clogs.

Just for a bit of drama, a couple of weeks later my everyday car caught fire on the motorway and my insurers wouldn't pay up, so I was well out of pocket for months.
Back to top Go down
dean&jo

dean&jo

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 pm

All very encouraging stuff.

At the moment I dont have a Braz-bay and I have just sold my '72 bay to help fund the new one.

Looking for a drive everywhere, drive anywhere watercooled camper to keep for a long long time.

I guess I can comment again on this thread once I do have a Bra-bay and then see how its all panned out ....
Back to top Go down
http://www.beetleburner.weebly.com
Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 am

Was the lucky owner of Bella, a 79 V reg with twin sliding doors. It comes with the territory but she did indeed soak up the cash in trying to keep her road worthy. Thought she would need another £10k to get her to a decent condition but opted to grab a Brazilian instead and try and ease the number of roadside breakdowns. No regrets whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Was considering both but after a trip to Danbury I walked away with any empty bank balance. Smile
Better than paying of part of the mortgage by far.

________________________________________________________________________________
Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 12:39 pm

We had a '72 low light crossover bay before commencing our adventures with a BraziBay Very Happy
Unfortunatley it became an MOT failure with too much work required - and before Vanfest 2010 for which we had tickets Rolling Eyes
So what could we do but "try before you buy" by hiring a BraziBay for Vanfest
Been hooked ever since bounce

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
EOS2010

EOS2010

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:59 pm

We too had many a long discussions over three years regarding to pros and cons of a 70's or a new Brazibay. Plus we needed to find out the limitations of different layouts and reliability issues between both old and new.

On hearing stories from mates regarding getting to know the AA men during touring and constant money pit issues, we as a family started to get disappointed. However, we decided to hire a relatively new Danbury Van from Snailtrail for a week (Ruby the Dr Who star). She instantly introduced us to the reliability side of the water cooled engine, but I was surprised how much the simple more spacious Diamond layout rather than a Rio, suited our needs.

Further discussions with Downunder and Danbury for a new van lead us to go with Danbury because availability and price (pre 20% VAT hike). But there was a van in the Danbury's showroom which we fell in love with and she had all the extras we wanted.

Eos is now a year old this week and with only a little rust on bumpers/guttering and a sticky passenger door lock. She has done nearly 10,000KM and is booked into Danbury next week for her first annual service. This will be a 7 hour round trip for me, but Danbury let me use their little office upstairs to work from while she is being serviced. So far I cannot fault Danbury's service.

Happy camper afro
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm

I have had a canaburry split a devon low light bay a 2.0 Viking bay a 2.0 auto high roof wedge and a westy 1.6 diesel wedge and a lot of bugs and a ghia and got a Brazilian and have found it a lot less work Smile
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 pm

For me it was quite easy.

I was busy on the Long Mynd Hike and my wife - without discussion - went down to Danbury, ordered a van, and chose the colour and the specification.

The first I knew about this was the conversation the following day - "I've ordered a Campervan - you'll love it - I hope....."
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

We had looked at getting a restored 70's bus and looked at a few, however, as I am no mechanic decided to go down to Danbury and have a 'look'.
Fell in love with the idea of a watercooled bus, and that was that, deposit paid, then big lump of pension cash, never looked back...... drive Mish everyday and smile!!!
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

We looked at an old bus locally, but the thought of all that welding again (we had classic minis) the wife was not impressed!

So she found our bus on ebay, we tried to scrape the money together but eventually decided to sell our RX8 to fund the bus purchase. Unfortunately by the time the RX8 sold the ebay listing had ended , but luckily the wife had kept all the details of the garage selling it. We phoned the garage and were told the bus was sold, however the couple buying it had left a deposit but couldn't pay the rest as the husband had just been made redundant (due to credit crunch). Over the phone, we suggested we came to see the bus and if happy buy it at asking price so they could refund the deposit to the original purchasers and still sell the bus.

Is it wrong that we benefitted from the credit crunch? Shocked

P.S. No regrets selling the RX8, we still get the same miles per gallon and use the same amount of oil, and are far less likely to get speeding points! Laughing
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 pm

I had been looking for an old T2 for a couple of years, with the intention of doing it up as a project for my son, (He of Kombi Kruise fame) as he now had three kids, not much money, and couldn't afford holidays away. After visiting several VW meets, we were at the Cruise to the Prom at Weston, and there were about 8 or 9 recovery trucks hovering, waiting for the breakdowns, which sort of made my mind up. I kitted the kids out with frame tents etc, instead and then went to Danbury. They were happy, and I haven't looked back. At first view it looks like they got the rough end of the deal, but when I finally turn my toes up they'll get Dizzy anyway and by then, hopefully she'll be a classic in her own right! Smile
Back to top Go down
geoff&rach

geoff&rach

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 7:25 pm

we work in the family farm shop and a brazi bay came in ,wife fell in love straight away never owned a camper before.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:46 pm

I was out cycling with my business partner when he told me he'd seen an ad for Kombis in the national press with a sale on!

He brought the cutting in and the rest is history...

*not sure the "sale " was key to our purchase given where the price ended up after we'd been tempted by Danbury extras!

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 pm

I have a wife with a 20 year obsession with wanting to own a splitty, and although I do enjoy a little tinkering, I would prefer to tinker on my own terms and not HAVE to tinker in order to get home or have an ongoing relationship with an AA man.

Tallulah was an excellent compromise - as was the decision to hire her out to help with ownership/running costs and finance package to pay for her.

Stronger jaw muscles and upper arms are the symptoms of just 8 months of owning/driving a Kombi, although the wife rarely let's me drive it!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
steve andrews

steve andrews

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 pm

We still have Betty our 73 Devon sitting in our drive tucked up next to Clementine. The heads are blowing and she has no power what so ever, so she's now a longer term project to get her back to her former glory, Maybe as a wedding hire van but not sure yet. Planning to get the engine out this winter and strip her down! Laughing
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm

peppa wrote:
late one night on the internet

.... I didn't mean to Your Honour, honest! pirat

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm

We have always wanted a vw camper, but were fully aware that our mecanical inclination and ability was not up to the job. However we would dream the dream for about 10 years. We came across Danbury and their Brazilians early on in the dream, and i remember pricing up one to our dream full spec, and then getting it down to £26k for the essentials. This was all way back, when an empty van was £13k. Alas, with 2 young children to raise, that sort of money was not avaliable. Then we heard the rumour that Brazil was stopping making them, and we forgot about them for a few years.
Then we had the oppitunity to get a camper, and the hunt was on. We quickly ruled out all of the other makes and models, it just had to be a vw. We even test drove a T4, which was nice and comfortable........but........it just wasnt a vw. We knew that if we were parked up along side a dub, we would be for ever looking out our window at it longingly. And then we came back to Danburys website, and lo and behold, brazil hadnt stopped making them.
2 quick visits to the showroom later, and an awfully large sum of money and.......... WAHOOOOOO.

Matt.

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Img_2014
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Two visits!!! You have way more will power than me Very Happy

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Lol, the first was to look, the second was to pay, needed a couple of days to think before handing over that much money. Only ever spent more than that on the 2 house's we have owned, and it was getting up towards the cost of our first one.

Matt.

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Img_2014
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:57 am

kiteman wrote:
Two visits!!! You have way more will power than me Very Happy

Haaaaa, my first visit was to pick up the camper......
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 am

Another factor that has become increasingly significant since this thread started, is the fuel cost of a Classic Bay versus a Kombi. Petrol is on the way up yet again - today a litre of unleaded is around 135p. A Classic Bay will return somewhere in the region of 20mpg, an AquaBay will do double that. On that basis a 600 mile round trip - the kind you'd do for a holiday for instance - will end up costing you £183.60 in a Classic Bay and £91.80 in a New Watercooled T2.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
yabbit

yabbit

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 am

My wife had loved the "Herbie" films since she was a kid and thus wanted a "bug". When she became disabled in her early twenties she transfered her loyalty to the "Beetlevans" as she could no longer get into a bug, but never dreamed she would ever realy get one. Then 16 months ago, her father died suddenly in the middle of selling the family home. Her mum came to stop with us last winter during the snows of last winter as her heating failed and she was in shock at losing her husband and family home at the same time.
Then one night we were watching "One man and his van" the Martin Dorey series, so Hedgie said to her mum, "That's what you can buy me as an inheritance from my dad." Mum said "OK" and Hedgie's jaw hit the floor. Within an hour we were on Ebay looking at vans. We found a beautiful red and white 70's bay, fully restored, rust free and mechanicaly sound, £10,000. we contacted the seller, offered and were accepted. Before we paid, we hired a local mechanic to go check her out, his report came back "It's a shed, doesn't run, rusted throughout, 2 holes in chasis, doors don't shut, worth £3-5,000, would need as much again spending and a year in a garage."
Disapointed, Hedgie mentioned they still make t2's in Brazil. We were on Danbury's website within the hour and spotted a sage green T2, rang up, only to find it was sold Crying or Very sad From then on we were checking the site multiple times per day. Then a blue and white one came on, ex-demo 2,000km on the clock, 25% off list price. We bought her on the spot without going to see her.
Boy did we get more than we bargained for. We didn't expect to fall in love with a van, or how great the "Bug scene was. Adie has been a holiday vehicle, daily transport, ambulance to get Dad to hospital and removals van. She is so practical and comfortable, Hedgie can get in her and travel further and longer than any vehicle we have ever had. We have just surrendered our motorbility vehicle, as Adie works better for Hedgie's needs. Adie is now a part of our family.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Great story Yabbit.

We met another Brazi owner at Brighton Breeze last year who bought her Brazi Bay so she coudl transport her autistic son around more esily. She too was not expecting to 'fall in love' with the Brazi Bay/Dub scene, but she had!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....   Before you bought your Brazilian Bay .... Empty

Back to top Go down

Before you bought your Brazilian Bay ....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next