brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Wanted watercooled campervan

Go down 
+2
Tallulah
TimV
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kirstencarleton

Cabin : Economy

Wanted watercooled campervan  Empty
PostSubject: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 am

After debating air cooled ..... I’m looking for a watercooled campervan if anyone is thinking of selling please contact me especially if you have a westaflia style roof , righ hand drive and power steering !! But will consider any van .
Thanks
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 am

kirstencarleton wrote:
After debating air cooled ..... I’m looking for a watercooled campervan if anyone is thinking of selling please contact me especially if you have a westaflia style roof , righ hand drive and power steering !! But will consider any van .
Thanks

VW Kampers have 2 Kombis in at the moment both with the Westy style roof. 1 water-cooled, 1 air-cooled. Never discount the air-cooled..... Basketball

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Wanted watercooled campervan  Melogo11
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm

re: Westfalia roof your could maybe get a tin top & have one fitted. £3240 for a tin top all in. I assume they can be put up & down easily by one person and that makes them better as pop tops?

I agree with Tim, obviously. The air cooled engines have certain advantages:
you can take them on the channel tunnel
classic sound
bullet proof reliability
less things to go wrong
much bigger support network as all the classic vans have very similar engines
Only disadvantage I'm aware of is that they are a little slower. I don't know the mpg comparison.

________________________________________________________________________________
what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 pm

sundialsoft wrote:
re: Westfalia roof your could maybe get a tin top & have one fitted. £3240 for a tin top all in. I assume they can be put up & down easily by one person and that makes them better as pop tops?

I agree with Tim, obviously. The air cooled engines have certain advantages:
you can take them on the channel tunnel
classic sound
bullet proof reliability
less things to go wrong
much bigger support network as all the classic vans have very similar engines
Only disadvantage I'm aware of is that they are a little slower. I don't know the mpg comparison.

I generally agree with the statements above, with the following comments:

you can take them on the channel tunnel - watercooled kombis can go in the chunnel too, some are listed in their log book as "bifuel" which the chunnel police take a meaning lpg. The log book can be updated or a letter provided from a relevant authority to allow them on on/in. Bifuel actually refers to the watercooled kombis being able to run on ethanol or petrol, or a mix of the two. Ethanol (or bio-ethanol) is not currently available in the UK, but it is on the continent (E85 in France) at approx 1/2 the price of regular unleaded.

bullet proof reliability - providing they are well maintained, which also means more regular servicing than the watercooled. The watercooled engine needs a basic service once a year, it is a VW fox engine so can (in theory) be carried out anywhere.

less things to go wrong - really? Not sure I agree with this one.

much bigger support network as all the classic vans have very similar engines - see my point above, regular VW fox engine, parts available from any VW (or VAG) dealer.

Only disadvantage I'm aware of is that they are a little slower - with a bit less pulling power on hills especially when fully loaded or towing.

MPG of aircooled is normally around 24mpg, for watercooled regularly above 35mpg.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
kirstencarleton

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Tim - they sold the watercooled at vw kampers before my appointment to see it gutted. Sad
Sundialsoft - have been loooking for Tin tips too as I just love the look of the Westy roofs . You Van is a beauty looking forward to seeing the pics .
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 1:42 pm

re: "less things to go wrong - really? Not sure I agree with this one." I have too many friends with aquabays so I won't delve into this. I don't want to get missed out of the rounds in the pub.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
kirstencarleton

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 pm

So after me posting this morning and more discussions we have decided budget and condition is the most important aspect in our search !! Watercooled or aircooled and any pop top . It’s so difficult when spending a lot of money ...
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 pm

kirstencarleton wrote:
So after me posting this morning and more discussions we have decided budget and condition is the most important aspect in our search !! Watercooled or aircooled and any pop top . It’s so difficult when spending a lot of money ...

Hi Kirsten,

as with all Brazibays, there's always a fear of "Oh, I wish we had a xxxx", when you look at other Brazibays. Well, the best ideas are those that are pinched and when we get together, we all love showing off what we've done to ours, but still see the merits in what others have done.

Knowing the background to any car/Brazibay is important; moreso with a Brazibay as you'll form so much more of an attachment to it than any car. Knowing it has been well looked after, has been regularly serviced and is in good external and internal condition is important, as you don't really want to be parting with more money in the first couple of years (unless there are specific things you want to do/have*).

It's never easy, but see a few and drive a few, so you'll get a good feel for them and what's really important for you; if you come to a Brazibay get-together, we can all bore you with how wonderful our own van is! cheers

(* for us, we wanted Litesteer, having seen Neil and a van with Litesteer at Busfest; that, the one-piece throttle cable and the solar panels have been our three best buys. We had Litesteer fitted almost immediately and the throttle cable and solar panels fitted last year).

P.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 11:46 am

kirstencarleton wrote:
we have decided budget and condition is the most important aspect in our search !! Watercooled or aircooled and any pop top  ...

I concur with this.  Set your price and buy the best overall BraziBay at that price. Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 11:49 am

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kirstencarleton

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks bumble for you advise . Hopefully I will soon be a brazilbay owner soon Smile and I already have questions about lite steer .....
Back to top Go down
kirstencarleton

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks for the buying guide Tim very useful .
Back to top Go down
germanshepherd

germanshepherd

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

kirstencarleton wrote:
Thanks

hi

did you find one

I am just selling my 2010 now with very low mileage if your interested
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted watercooled campervan    Wanted watercooled campervan  Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanted watercooled campervan
Page 1 of 1