brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

New owners

Go down 
+2
Voyager
Little Rob
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Little Rob

Cabin : Club

New owners Empty
PostSubject: New owners   New owners EmptyFri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello to everyone. We're the proud owners of a 2007 Danbury Rio. Although we've only had it for just over a week (perfect timing!), as you might imagine we've a lot of questions. I've spent a bit of time browsing the forum, but I thought I might ask a few here.

In no particular order:

1. Is there a good way to tell the state of the gas? I've seen in the past LCD strips that show the height of the liquid. Any one got any experience with that?

2. Can the long strip-lights be converted to low-power (LED)? (Also the 2 spots)

3. What are people's preferred solutions for a drink on the go? (i.e. where do you put it?)#

4. I think the leisure battery is gone. It doesn't hold any charge. Is there a definitive way to tell (i.e. It might be that its not charging, though all the lights come on after driving for a while)?
Is changing it simple?
What's the highest capacity that fits, and where is a good place to get one (on-line, during lockdown)?

5. Anyone got a porta-potti, and what's the best fit to go in the buddy-box (I presume that's where they live)?

I think that'll do for now, I'm sure there were more, but away from the van I can't think what they were ;-)

Cheers

Rob & Jo
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 7:39 am

1. I use a portable luggage scale to weigh the gas container.
2. There are definitely threads on the forum explaining how to replace the lights with LEDs.
3. We've got a storage box between the front seats which has cup holders at the top. That's an expensive solution if you only want a cup holder, but I think there are cupholders available which slot into the ashtray.
4. Do the indicator lights illuminate when you plug in your hookup cable? Halfords will do a free battery check, as will various tyre depots.
5. Most of us have got porta pottis. We've got a Thetford 145. I think a 335 will also fit, but you would have to check the dimensions.
Back to top Go down
Little Rob

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 7:13 pm

@voyager Thanks for the replies. Cup-holders between the seats isn't going to work because that's where the spaniel goes ;-)

When the hookup is plugged in I get 2 orange and a green, but as soon as we unplug it almost immediately goes red. The lights are OK, but the rear-cabin heater doesn't work (gives a voltage warning). The top of the battery has a little inspection thing that is green=good, but clearly that isn't the case.

If I can ask a couple of other things:

6. When you are travelling what's a reasonable set of spare bulbs/fuses to carry? There are 4x10amp in the passenger door, and a 30amp in the engine bay, are there others?

7. We have a toll-doofer thing for the French Peage. Does the van count the same as a car? (i.e. do you think we could switch it over?)

Rob & Jo

Its all very exciting, though all we've managed is a couple of picnics so far.

Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Have you plugged in your hookup for a long time? You need to leave it plugged in all day or overnight, and I suggest you switch your fridge off if you haven't already done so.

There is a 30amp fuse in the engine compartment. You should check that, although if it had gone I suspect that your indicator lights wouldn't be lighting. You should find a charger under the seat next to the leisure battery. While you are hooked up, check that the correct indicators are lighting on the charger. Also, there is a fuse next to the leisure battery, which I think is a 15amp. Check that, and also look for any loose or damaged connections.

I think that a battery test measures the drain from a battery, and if it is completely flat in the first place won't work. You could try charging it with a battery charger, but you might have to disconnect it first so as not to cause any damage in the electrical system. I've never had to do it myself, but perhaps others could advise. If all else fails I suppose you have the option of either or both of an auto electrician and a new battery.

It's certainly a good idea to carry spare bulbs for headlights, sidelights and brake/rear lights. I can't remember the spec offhand, but it's easy to check. As to fuses, there is also a fuse block under the dashboard behind the steering wheel. I carry a Halfords box which includes all values between 5amp and 30amp.

The height limit for car tariff in France is 2 metres. Our van just sneaks under, but it's got lowered suspension. If you've got standard height suspension and/or a roof rack you might be just over, in which case others might be able to tell you whether they've got away with it.
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 2:21 pm

7. We have a toll-doofer thing for the French Peage. Does the van count the same as a car? (i.e. do you think we could switch it over?)

As Voyager says the height of the car tariff is 2m. I had one of the Liber-t tags when last in France and it charged me as a car on all but one toll. I appealed against the higher charge and it was refunded.

Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 2:50 pm

https://www.lifesure.co.uk/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-caravan-leisure-batteries
Tayna batteries co. are a good company to buy online, I have had several for different vehicles, and they deliver within a day or two.  There is a difference between starter and leisure batteries as above. Measure your existing one, and note the terminal positions and compare on their website. (I believe you can also get dual purpose ones which you can use as a starter battery in an emergency)
Back to top Go down
Little Rob

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 4:22 pm

Thanks for al the replies. All useful stuff.

We've ordered a battery. When I went and had another look it had a tayna.co.uk sticker on it ;-)

As for the van, its lowered, but has a roof-rack. The basic height is under 2m, but the roof-rack takes it to about 208cm, So perhaps if we go to France it would be worth removing. We've got nothing to go in it yet anyway, though we're on the hunt for a couple of SUP.

We went out again today, took the dog for a walk, and then had a coffee parked up at the end of a byway. It was a lovely day, and nice just sitting in the doorway looking out. Though of course, you all already know that ;-)

Rob & Jo
Back to top Go down
daveb101

daveb101

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 9:28 am

Excellent, another SUP, Brazzy bay owner Wink
Back to top Go down
Little Rob

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 12:49 pm

@daveb101 for complicated reasons, probably like lots of people, we have part of a holiday that we couldn't cancel. Specifically a ferry crossing to the Hook of Holland and a single night in a hotel in the Rhine valley. So we've been trying to create another trip around that (the original was all hotels as we didn't have a van when we booked it last spring).

The aim is 2 SUP, 2 gravel bikes and a bit of a road-trip through Holland, Germany, and then France.
Back to top Go down
ZippyBay

ZippyBay

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptyTue Nov 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Lots of information already provided but here is some things from me:

Toilet for the Buddy Seat - I bought a Thetford Porta Potti 335 Qube Toilet from Amazon but recommend you check internal dimensions first. It just fits in and we bought a collapsible toilet tent for when we are on site. The only complaint from my wife and son is you need strong muscles in your legs to get down and up to it!

Battery - sounds like you've on one on order. Check dimensions, but I bought the biggest Ah Leisure Battery unit I could for the size - 85h. Amazing difference!

France - our van is about 2.08m including the rack and has been lowered. We didn't have any problems in France but I did watch out for car park barriers at the supermarkets. We did get charged the higher rate on the toll roads but in hindsight the roof rack was full.

Drinks - we bought a cup holder for the ashtray - wasn't a great success as got in the way of using the gearstick and cigarette lighter for dashcam. We now have a trug (big soft bucket) that we keep wedged between the seats and put all our bits in

Bulbs - I picked up spare bulbs for head lights, brake lights and indicators. Didn't cost much.

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Little Rob

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners EmptyTue Nov 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Battery = delivered
Toilet = ordered

Drinks Holders. We decided that the ones that slip in the ash-tray would block the radio/gps screen, so we've gone with door-pockets = delivered.

So, I've a bit of fettling to do.

Voyager likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New owners Empty
PostSubject: Re: New owners   New owners Empty

Back to top Go down

New owners
Page 1 of 1