brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Towbar fitting

Go down 
+14
Tallulah
michel_bonn
Roobarb
Andy
haum
Scooby
irishman
Dilly
jj123vw
TimV
olive
steve andrews
Skytiger
Hilary
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
olive

olive

Cabin : Club

Towbar fitting - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 7:27 am

TimV wrote:
olive wrote:
I think that would look good being dragged along on the road Very Happy

It certainly would. But not as sharp as the white/red/black jetski I'll be pulling along with Max. Wink

My jetski will be in the pod Wink
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 11:35 am

olive wrote:
My jetski will be in the pod Wink

What ..... an inflatable one?! Wink

Oooh now there's an idea ..... Exclamation

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Towbar fitting - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 am

Go careful cutting any chrome bumpers as this will stop the 'chrome wrap' from doing its job in stopping the bumper rust.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 5:18 pm

jj123vw wrote:
'chrome wrap'

Not sure the term wrap is appropriate as the bumper is only chromed on the outside.
Back to top Go down
Dilly

Dilly

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Shame there is nit a detachable tow bar. Would have fitted them for the odd occasion I need one!!

Dilly
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Towbar fitting - Page 2 Img_1013
My new towbar, fitted today by Ian and the boys at VWKampers, oh and by the way Mish passed his first MOT Very Happy
Look forward to 'showing' off the towbar at the Kombi sleepover this weekend........ just have to buy the trailer now!!
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing you at the week end Cool

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
haum

haum

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:54 pm

hi irishman,

can you tell me if this is also the JustKampers towbar? On their website it is mentioned that "we do not supply a tow bar that will fit a Brazilian van"

Is it necessary to cut the rear bumper?

Thanks

Back to top Go down
http://www.vw-b.us
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but have just bought a trailer and need to sort out a towbar, and have been trying to decide what to order...

Quote :
It fitted with no bother at all, just two holes to be drilled in middle section

With old bay towbars there seem to be three different ones available, early bay 69-71 which were the vans that had the small rear lights and low front lights, crossover 71-72 where the vans still had the early front lights lights but later big lights, and then late bay 72-79.

I think it was only the early bays had removable rear panels like our brazi bays, so the towbars dont attach to it and from what I can make out seem to be the ones to go for.

I will bite the bullet and order one... as am supposed to collect trailer next week!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I think you're right Andy. I reckon an Early Bay towbar ought to fit for the same reason. However I can't prove this until I physically see one. Maybe you can solve this for us?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Roobarb

Roobarb

Cabin : Exec 042

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 am

Andy,

Most buses end up fitted with a Watling Towbar - PVW15 - this is for the 72-79 late bay. You can get it from Just Kampers or any Watling supplier, and it is (I think) the one that Danbury fit. I haven't seen an early bay towbar next to a late bay model to see the difference, but if you do decide to buy an early bay bar, make sure you can send it back...

Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Irishman any chance of a pic from underneath to see where it attaches and we can see the differences.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Irishman's towbar sits in the chassis legs where the original bumper irons did. The bumper cover then attaches to the towbar crossmember and all but obscures it except for the tow hitch.
Towbar fitting - Page 2 Img_1117

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:16 am

this is a super information. Thanks a lot. In germany i dont can buy this and it was very difficult to find enything about this for a T2C.
Here in germany no firms would be build this on my car. the most! difficult for the fit from the car is the paper for the TÜV. They always said to me: you need the paper from the fit. because it must be written for the car paper. After these answers i dont think enymore about the fit.
know i think about holiday for 2 or 3 days to came to GB ;-)
i must look for this in the summer:-)

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 am

Come for the Kombi Sleepover!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 am

Ok, so in laymens terms:

Remove bumper.
Attach towbar to the chassis where the bumper was.
Re-attach the bumper over the top of the towbar.

Any changes needed on the bumper? Mount points? Longer bolts?

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 am

@ tim:
sleepover? - in german: plötzlich verliebt

ich verstehe nicht immer alles was ihr schreibt, deswegen kann ich nicht immer antworten. auch mit dem Übersetzungsprogramm kommt dann bei mir oft nur "Blödsinn" heraus, .......... :-(

i dont understand a lot from you often, so i dont answers often, because the translation in german is crazy. please dont worry about this from me :-)

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Michel
The "Kombi Sleepover" is a camping event held in Oxfordshire, England
It is Brazilian VW Bay.com's own camping event on 23rd June 2012
We're expecting a lot of Kombis to attend, have a look at the campsite's website and park overview:

www.anitascaravanandcottages.co.uk

You can expect a relaxed atmosphere, good company and some 'games' if you want to join in.
Also, it is an opportunity to put names and faces together from the Forum
Hope this helps
All the best
Scooby

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Here is a link to the info on the forum: Kombi Sleepover

At last count there were just over 20 Kombis booked to attend, all forum members.

Another event you might consider is CamperJam which will also be very well attended by members of the forum, in our own club pitch. There will also be a "Brazilian Display" which many of us are involved in.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

PostSubject: vw treffen   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm

oh yes, thank you, know its clear :-))
i am looking now in my timeshift plan at the moment. on this weekend i must work for early shift 12 hours a day. my working plan is fixed for the year, so i always knows about working.
we must be on shift 3 people fixed from four people. only one can go on holiday. but my kollege Ingo is there for 3 weeks in france :-(
so it dont goes for me. please sorry.
but on the vanfest in sebtember i have 2 days free. i am asking for my boss about 3 days free. when this goes than i would go there.

Back to top Go down
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 3:37 pm

I have done a bit of research and looked at a few towbars...

Like discussed before the late bay (Watling PVW15) uses two holes you have to drill in the middle of the back panel, but on a late bay this is double skinned and welded in so is a structural part of the van.

There is very little point in bolting through here on a Brazilian van, as its just a flimsy bolted in panel.

From what I can make out the Danbury supplied one, is a bit of a special one made for them by Watling, and they have just basically taken the late bay one, left off the bracket where it bolts through the back panel, and added two small brackets which you attach using the standard read panel bolts at either end.

It also seems to be made with a bit less offset, so the hitch sits higher up tight underneath the brazilian bumper, as obviously late bays had those deeper Europa bumpers.

I think I might buy a late bay one and modify it myself.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 4:52 pm

So on that basis wouldn't it follow that an Early Bay towbar would fit?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm

I dont know about all early bar towbars, but the Watling one for them doesnt bolt on using the bumper iron bolts, it uses three holes in the side of the chassis rail, which have three captive nuts in there ready.

Next door had an old Westy early bay towbar kicking about, which also used the same three holes, I offered it upto my van and there was one hole in the right place, but no captive nut.

So looks like early bay towbar is a no-go.

I have ordered a Watling late bay one now, and will either give it a bit of a tweak with the grinder when it arrives, or might just fit it and not worry about bolting through the middle bit.
Back to top Go down
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Watling PVW15 towbar arrived this morning and its on the van already... I did chop of the bracket in the middle and ground it flat, but didnt see any need to add the extra brackets.

You use the two existing bumper iron holes, and then a third hole which is forward from them... The hole is in the chassis rail ready but it has no captive nut welded in, so had to stick an M10 rivnut in there.

Had to tweak the bottom edge of the bumper, as fouled the bit that drops down to put the towball on, but 30 seconds with the grinder, a clean up and some paint and all was good.

Just got to wire it up now... and am wondering if as its a legal requirement to have a warning buzzer for trailer lights, and as they are now testing towbar electrics on the MOT if I have the buzzer in behind the rear lights is it a fail if they cant hear it?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 pm

I'd imagine it is a legal requirement to have and hear the buzzer - why else would they be fitted otherwise .....?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towbar fitting   Towbar fitting - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Towbar fitting
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next