brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Reputation System Activated

Go down 
+10
Matt
Blue Seagull
Baydreamer
pastymaster
jill
olive
kiteman
osg
absquatulation
TimV
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 pm

You got it in one Chris - people come here for the banter, the info and the common ground that we love our Kombis. That's what I set this site up for and am really proud of what's been achieved. As I said earlier, this is just like an accessory, we may keep it, we may ditch it. Let's see how it goes.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 pm

I also see it as points scoring. If everyone is supposed to be mature why is there a need to be constantly praised?

As an example of my gripe, I've just given Kiteman a negative response rating on the above thread (just as an example, no other meaning Laughing) with no explanation what so ever.

Is that fair?

That means that if enough people do that Kiteman has a rating of -10, which means to everybody joining the forum sees that rating and knows everything he says can be taken with a pinch of salt. (I don't think that at all by the way, this was just an example Very Happy)

When you get to that stage are you going to want to come on here and post? I don't think so.

You've certainly got a good debate going though Cool

________________________________________________________________________________

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Had I known how much banter this has caused I should have sold tickets!

But realistically, are people going to use the neg button in such a flippant way? I'm not sure. I think this is interesting.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 pm

pastymaster wrote:
I also see it as points scoring. If everyone is supposed to be mature why is there a need to be constantly praised?

As an example of my gripe, I've just given Kiteman a negative response rating on the above thread (just as an example, no other meaning Laughing) with no explanation what so ever.

Is that fair?

That means that if enough people do that Kiteman has a rating of -10, which means to everybody joining the forum sees that rating and knows everything he says can be taken with a pinch of salt. (I don't think that at all by the way, this was just an example Very Happy)

When you get to that stage are you going to want to come on here and post? I don't think so.

You've certainly got a good debate going though Cool

I will seek my revenge Pastymaster lol!

Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:40 pm

kiteman wrote:

Love it - but not enough to give you a + Wink

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:50 pm

kiteman wrote:

Laughing Shocked Laughing

TimV wrote:
Had I known how much banter this has caused I should have sold tickets!

But realistically, are people going to use the neg button in such a flippant way? I'm not sure. I think this is interesting.

I suppose its all down to how people take it, if people take it personally then it might just put people off. Bullying in a way (I know that's far fetched, but it could happen.)

Not only that, but if people are flippant with the +, then its pointless, just point scoring Laughing

Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 pm

pastymaster wrote:
Bullying in a way (I know that's far fetched, but it could happen.)

Rest assured if anyone behaves in this way, they will have their membership deleted instantly. No exceptions.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Sorry Tim but i don't see the need for this. It could very easily build bad feeling, which at times has raised its ugly head on the site and which you have worked hard to negate.

Matt.

Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Img_2014
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:14 pm

pastymaster wrote:

Quote :

I suppose its all down to how people take it, if people take it personally then it might just put people off. Bullying in a way (I know that's far fetched, but it could happen.)

Not only that, but if people are flippant with the +, then its pointless, just point scoring Laughing

Razz Laughing

Your meant to be rating the posts not the people

Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:35 am

Don't know if I have missed the point here, the idea of this system was to rate the content of the post (nothing to do with the individual), if the information posted is of help and useful to 'you', you rate it as positive. If you think it's not so them either negative or don't bother to rate at all, the theory being as mentioned it will help when searching.
( by the way, anyone who negatively rates anything I post........ I know where you live! Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 am

I do make occasional posts on the forum but mostly I am only reading the posts to glean very valuable information about our Brazilian Bays. I do find it interesting to see the breadth of opinion expressed and obviously value some posts more than others.
It is emerging that the new +/- rating system for posts can show either a green bar, or a red bar, or alternatively a mixed green and red display indicating the proportion of votes that were 'for' or 'against' the content. This therefore mirrors the system seen on other websites where the number of votes to 'Like' or 'Dislike' the content give an indication of the groundswell of opinion and support.
Irishman has said
'the idea of this system was to rate the content of the post (nothing to do with the individual), if the information posted is of help and useful to 'you', you rate it as positive. If you think it's not so them either negative or don't bother to rate at all, the theory being as mentioned it will help when searching'
My view is to agree with Irishman - the +/- system for rating each post can usefully be retained. But the Cumulative Reputation Score shown in the User Profile would be better removed since it creates more problems for the site than value.
Whatever the outcome I shall still be logging-in to a very useful forum.
osg
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:03 pm

This topic certainly proved lively yesterday.

We recorded 299 visits for the day.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
max

max

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Hey all,

Good discussion so far – it's good we try things out! For me, the main issue lies within the coarse granularity of the vote. Here's what I mean:

A Plus could be given to any of the following reasons:
- That you agree with the post, eg. it follows your own opinion
- That you like something about the post, eg it's funny
- That you think the post is useful, eg. a good technical tip
- That it contained what you were looking for, eg. a good campsite near you

As a consequence, you don't know whether the poster is just a funny guy or a tech guru. You also can't really look for the green bar and say 'hey, that's where I'll find my answer to the battery problem' (because the vote could have been given for a different reason of course).

Furthermore, I find that 99.9% of all posts in this forum are positive. Hey, we're a happy bunch and share the same hobby and we also frequently meet up. That's a very different scenario to, say, a hip hop forum with thousands of users who'll never meet and therefore will be less hesitant to insult someone.

My prediction is that all of us will soon have a similarly positive reputation, negating the need to have the system at all.

I'd therefore just stick with the number of posts, which we already have, and which I find a good indication of how involved someone is.

Like a Star @ heaven Rennsemmel Like a Star @ heaven ('Racing Roll')
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Many thanks to everyone for their views on this function. It's clearly struck a nerve.

The Admin team have discussed this today - first time I've done a conference call on my iPhone (was great) - and we have decided to make a change. We feel the word 'reputation' and the points scoring was causing the most controversy. Therefore those elements have been dropped and now the system simply works as a 'like/unlike' feature. The green/red bar will remain to indicate member's views on a particular post - not the individual.

I hope you find this a better option.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 pm

max wrote:
Hey all,

Good discussion so far – it's good we try things out! For me, the main issue lies within the coarse granularity of the vote. Here's what I mean:

A Plus could be given to any of the following reasons:
- That you agree with the post, eg. it follows your own opinion
- That you like something about the post, eg it's funny
- That you think the post is useful, eg. a good technical tip
- That it contained what you were looking for, eg. a good campsite near you

As a consequence, you don't know whether the poster is just a funny guy or a tech guru. You also can't really look for the green bar and say 'hey, that's where I'll find my answer to the battery problem' (because the vote could have been given for a different reason of course).

Furthermore, I find that 99.9% of all posts in this forum are positive. Hey, we're a happy bunch and share the same hobby and we also frequently meet up. That's a very different scenario to, say, a hip hop forum with thousands of users who'll never meet and therefore will be less hesitant to insult someone.

My prediction is that all of us will soon have a similarly positive reputation, negating the need to have the system at all.

I'd therefore just stick with the number of posts, which we already have, and which I find a good indication of how involved someone is.

Max - Excellent summary with which I totally agree.

Leave it on, turn it off, ultimately I beleive it may well be ignored by most once the initial flurry of "oooh this is new" votes subside and the number of posts will once again become a more significant indicator.

PS: wonder how many votes your post will get....... Twisted Evil

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Tilly wrote:
I've just noticed that if you "hover" over the green/red bar it tells you how many votes have been cast - quite useful as the bar otherwise looks exactly the same whether the post got a single vote or 100 votes.

Well we've got to keep you entertained some how in between trips in your BraziBay Tilly! Basketball

Actually I think it does vary - you can have more green than red and vice versa.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Just noticed the new banner at the bottom of your posts - fancy Smile

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Removing the accumilated reputation to the posters profile is an improvement and a solution to my dislike of it. I have no problem with a like/dislike button

Matt.

Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Img_2014
Back to top Go down
jill

jill

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Reputation System   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi
The new system seems right, I think it will work better , Thanks Jill
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Maybe not missed the point, but just looked at it in a different way.

I have to say its refreshing how the admin team have listened, and acted to the feedback. You certainly don't get that everywhere. Very Happy

Cool

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reputation System Activated   Reputation System Activated - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Reputation System Activated
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: Site Feedback-
Jump to: