brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

rust on rear arch

Go down 
+15
haum
Roobarb
Scooby
Dennis
Skytiger
kiteman
michel_bonn
pastymaster
dizzylizard
Sunny
Tallulah
chairboy_paul
TimV
osg
dazdub
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 pm

started to sort out my rear arches some rust on them from thisrust on rear arch  Cee9f8a1 to this Sadrust on rear arch  462fed0cafter shot blasting Smilerust on rear arch  44f8381f now zinc weld trough 3 layers rust on rear arch  Dcd723e0
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 pm

and all of this because no cavertey rust prevention and my bay did have Danbury anti corrosion under body protection from new so please all you Brazilian bayers get your bay done my bay has only done 48k from new wax oyl wax oyl wax oyl
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Daz
Sorry to see your rust there. But it looks like you will fix it.

Your final picture does show some manufacturer's holes in the inner wing which can be used to squirt in Waxoyl or Dinitrol. These should be found even under any underseal. Mine were covered with tape beneath the underseal - but may be sealed with grommets instead. Seems a good idea to check these holes are covered with tape or grommets to prevent water ingress.

osg
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:26 pm

osg wrote:
Daz
Sorry to see your rust there. But it looks like you will fix it.

Your final picture does show some manufacturer's holes in the inner wing which can be used to squirt in Waxoyl or Dinitrol. These should be found even under any underseal. Mine were covered with tape beneath the underseal - but may be sealed with grommets instead. Seems a good idea to check these holes are covered with tape or grommets to prevent water ingress.

osg
thanks didn't think it would be that bad but rust is always worse than you first think. and yes there are a lot of grommets all over body I did wax oyl my bay but it had rust when I got it so it was to late to stop it but I am getting there now have got arch Back on now will add more pics Smile
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Take heed of this folks. The more cavity protection you give your BraziBay the less likely this will happen.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

rust on rear arch  Melogo11
Back to top Go down
chairboy_paul

chairboy_paul

Cabin : Economy

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:17 pm

I have a couple of tiny bubble on both my rear arches also... telltale inside out rot. whats the best way to get between the skins to at least get some wax oyl going to stop the rot?? Cheers Paul
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 pm

chairboy_paul wrote:
I have a couple of tiny bubble on both my rear arches also... telltale inside out rot. whats the best way to get between the skins to at least get some wax oyl going to stop the rot?? Cheers Paul
in the pics you can see 4 holes they are covered in black tape you can fill them with wax oly Smile
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm

got arch on rust on rear arch  420dbdcarust on rear arch  8f1aa92b
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Nice job.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Yep, tidy.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Good job, braver man than me! Shocked Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm

thanks all Smile
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

Cabin : Club

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm

dizzylizard wrote:

And me!! Laughing

Are you going to paint it yourself Daz?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Just because I've no idea, how do you stick the arch back on? Is it all welding under the "whitish" paint. What do you do, tack weld it in place and then fill-in weld around the edge, finishing with a disk to polish before paint? (I've never done anything bodywork; it terrifies me. Part of the reason I bought new.)
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:39 pm

pastymaster wrote:
dizzylizard wrote:

And me!! Laughing

Are you going to paint it yourself Daz?
yep DIY dazdub
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm

oh men, f..... i had the same problem as you have. on my car was it the other side. i have done the sam as you, mak a new on and painted it new. it is a never ending working on the car. ;-) i wish you all the best and less rust for the rest

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2-c.de
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Sunny wrote:
Just because I've no idea, how do you stick the arch back on? Is it all welding under the "whitish" paint. What do you do, tack weld it in place and then fill-in weld around the edge, finishing with a disk to polish before paint? (I've never done anything bodywork; it terrifies me. Part of the reason I bought new.)
spot welds takes a long time you need to move places so not to distort panel lots and lots of spot weld almost all way round then grind down spot welds paint with zinc paint then fill and sand fill and sand and a bit more fill and sand then paint in 2k high build primer and sand and repaint then wet flat and paint in top coat Smile
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 pm

michel_bonn wrote:
oh men, f..... i had the same problem as you have. on my car was it the other side. i have done the sam as you, mak a new on and painted it new. it is a never ending working on the car. ;-) i wish you all the best and less rust for the rest
thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:51 pm

dazdub wrote:
michel_bonn wrote:
I had to do both sides :0
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 pm

not as bad on this side but still needed a new archrust on rear arch  3192da63
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Not that I would ever attempt it, but I'm interested to know, from the catalogue pictures the repair panels appear to stretch to the seam on the next panel.

Did you cut yours to fit, and did you have to have to set the edges back under the remaining panel to get a flush fit for welding?

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional    
Very Happy                           rust on rear arch  Signat11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 pm

dizzylizard wrote:
Not that I would ever attempt it, but I'm interested to know, from the catalogue pictures the repair panels appear to stretch to the seam on the next panel.

Did you cut yours to fit, and did you have to have to set the edges back under the remaining panel to get a flush fit for welding?
I cut back till I had good metal and cut new panel just over than placed it over and marked round it and cut out on mark then butted it up and welded round the edge Smile
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:01 pm

You've painted it the wrong colour Laughing

rust on rear arch  Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 pm

kiteman wrote:
You've painted it the wrong colour Laughing
I hope the sun will fade it a bit Smile
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Excellent job Dazdub, will you have it painted for the Sleepover or are you going for the patina look Wink

I presume your using a compressor and spraygun or is it rattle cans Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rust on rear arch  Empty
PostSubject: Re: rust on rear arch    rust on rear arch  Empty

Back to top Go down

rust on rear arch
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next