brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Litesteer power steering

Go down 
+23
Voyager
Sunshine Daisy
Firebird
jj123vw
Dalesman
Mick
Scooby
neillitesteer
Matt
Footsteps
Dennis
harryhornet
kiteman
Richard
graciebabie
TimV
AbsintheKombi
Carlos
Skytiger
Sunny
dizzylizard
Tallulah
irishman
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Shhh. Don't tell them, they're never know Suspect

________________________________________________________________________________
steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
neillitesteer

neillitesteer

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Dear Martin

We are glad you bought this to our attention, if there was ever a concern over our power steering kits then we would rather know about it so a solution can be initiated.

Danbury were right to bring the play in the wheel to your attention as this is one or the many checks that is carried out during a routine service.

The play was indeed investigated by The Old Dub Shop, the steering box was inspected and Martin and I were assured that a slight adjustment would remedy it. And as we can see from Martins response it did.

As for the litesteer putting extra strain on the box, the effort to turn the road wheels remains constant regardless of power steering (EPS), all the EPS does is simply make the turning of the wheel easier.

This will only cause stress during "static steering" and we explain to all our customers that just because you can turn the wheel at standstill it should be avoided at all costs with or without EPS

As for the steering box the internals are very similar in design to the Late bay box, the only difference is the pinion shaft bearings being taper roller rather than single ball race.

In comparison the early bay steering box is considered inferior to both the Late Bay and Brazilian Kombi, and we have vans on the road with litesteer kits on since 2007 with no problems.

We can understand the concern over this as this is a safety related component and if we had at any point felt the fitting of a EPS system would compromise the vehicle we would have not developed it.

Any argument regarding EPS causing the box to require adjustment is only valid if a Brazilian box has never needed adjusting with or without EPS.

If anyone has any further questions I am happy to answer them.

Regards

Neil

Back to top Go down
http://neil@litesteer.com
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Thank you Neil for your quick response and clearing up any queries. I was always taught ( Herndon trained, Dizzy will understand) never to dry stear wether a vehicle has power steering assistance or not.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Neil. Thanks for the response. As always I'm delighted with the way this has been handled. Good to know that there are excellent communication lines when an issue like this arises.

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

irishman wrote:
( Herndon trained, Dizzy will understand)

I know exactly what this means - it was repeatedly quoted whenever I was out in my best mate's XR2 with him until the day he smashed it into a ditch, whereupon it was systematically dropped from discussion henceforth. #plodspeak

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

irishman wrote:
I was always taught ( Herndon trained, Dizzy will understand) never to dry stear wether a vehicle has power steering assistance or not.

True story....... one day our garage decided to paint the floor with anti-grip paint so they could turn the wheels of the cars when stationary...........unfortunately the forgot to tell Traffic Rolling Eyes ...... my mate rides in on his Norton Commando, brakes............ends up sidewaways against the back wall.

Almost as funny as when a sprog mechanic decided to put copper grease on the new fangled disc brakes on the aforementioned bikes to stop them going rusty. Shocked Laughing

(BTW apologies if I am missing replying in other posts, computers on the blink and shuts off after 5 mins, waiting for a new one to arrive.)
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Love it Dizzy, many such 'happy stories'.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 am

Sorry guys but Ive asked Mat and yes it does affect the Danbury warranty. We believe that the original 'steering box' is simply not designed to be used with a modern power
steering system which we believe places more load on the steering box. When
Danbury fits its official power steering system we remove the steering box and replace it with a modern 'rack and pinion' steering system (which also gives far less 'play' in the steering) . This is also reinforced to take the additional stresses that power steering can create.

We originally considered the cheaper option of simply fitting power
assistance to the standard box but during evaluation of this type of system
we did not feel it was a well engineered long term safe solution.

We have seen a number of these steering boxes with large amounts of play, even
when we adjusted the steering box the play returned within a short period.
Given the fact that steering is fundamentally a safety critical component we
do not advocate trying to retro fit power steering to the original steering
box system. I can confirm that the warranty will not cover items that have
been modified or adapted and have failed as a result. The Danbury official supplied and fitted 'direct drive' (rack and pinion steering) and the Danbury power steering do not affect the Danbury warranty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 am

In that case Jason, I suppose I might as well avoid the long drive to Yate and have the servicing done locally.

Really looking forward to the Kombi Sleepover.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 am

Its only that part if affects and we will always do our best to help out such a loyal customer as you :-) We cant however warranty other companies / people's equipment especially after evaluation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 am

Point taken, Jason.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
neillitesteer

neillitesteer

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 pm

We would like to add that all Oakley innovations products come with a 2 year warranty and have full Product liability insurance.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 pm

That's great Neil. Good to know.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Firebird

Firebird

Cabin : Exec 054

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Just dropped off my 'boy' with Neil for his new power steering. Very excited. Pick up tomorrow and then a long drive home to put it to the test. Must stop going to Anita's in future. The wish list is getting too long and expensive.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 pm

You will have such an amazing drive home, it will feel like a brand new bus!

According to my watch, my drive home from Litesteer took almost twice as long as driving there. Apparently there was some traffic but to be honest I didn't really notice as I was having so much fun!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...

Last edited by Tallulah on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Firebird - You've Got The Power  Smile 
Would be interested in your reaction
Roo b Roo
 jocolor

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Firebird

Firebird

Cabin : Exec 054

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 pm

Reactions during the 2.5 hour journey home….

1. Blown away rather than Blown about.
2. 21st Century Driving in a 20th Century Camper.
3. Will have to find another away, to keep my Bingo Wings* at Bay. (*Upper Arms)
4. Life can now be classed as 'Before Power Steering' and 'After Power Steering'
5. No regrets at blowing the Housekeeping and feeding my children grass for the next 10 weeks.

This is just amazing. What have i been driving for the past 15 months?
Back to top Go down
Sunshine Daisy

Sunshine Daisy

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Definitely a good decision, I'm sure grass must have some nutritional value & I find elbow length tops work wonders for the bingo wings! Love my power steering, in awe that you managed to drive it without!!
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 am

Welcome to the club, think it's generally well known by now, that I love my Litesteer, life changing.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 6:55 pm

From your reaction, a worthwhile investment then Firebird!  Wink

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Carlos wrote:
I've got Litesteer fitted to my bus with a german steering box and have recently fitted a narrowed beam, its excellent and has made a vast difference.

The van steering is greatly improved and have driven about 1500 miles of French autoroute, without worring about artics and cross winds or the previous feel of steering a tall ship.

I'm not sure whether Carlos is still on the forum, but does anyone have experience or knowledge of fitting a narrowed beam? I'm still looking for a way of improving the steering on my van, hopefully at a lower cost than rack and pinion, and the experience Carlos mentioned is exactly what I am looking for. My van already has lowered suspension by the way.
Back to top Go down
neillitesteer

neillitesteer

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Alderley,

Not convinced that a narrowed beam will improve tour steering, if anything it will be worse as the track width is reduced therefore changing the Roll centre.

Narrowed beams are usually fitted to "slammed" vans that have there tyres rubbing on the wheel tubs
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm

neillitesteer wrote:
Hi Alderley,

Not convinced that a narrowed beam will improve tour steering, if anything it will be worse as the track width is reduced therefore changing the Roll centre.

Narrowed beams are usually fitted to "slammed" vans that have there tyres rubbing on the wheel tubs

Thanks Neil, worst case for me would be to pay for what I thought might be a lower cost solution and then find that there was no noticeable improvement. I recall that last time we talked you were working on putting rack and pinion onto a Brazilian bay. I would be very interested to know how that one turns out.
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 pm

I had Litesteer fitted to Eddie today. Thank you Paul Brand for an excellent job. Paul even drove to Tunbridge Wells to pick up a part that was missing!
I have to say the drive home was such a different experience. It actually took a bit of getting used to but once I did.........WOW Laughing
It was a lovely warm evening so I wound the window down, turned the music up, stuck an elbow out, and cruised round each bend one handed. Happy Days.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 9:06 pm

It's great isn't it? Best mod we've had since we got Absinthe. Enjoy.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Litesteer power steering
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next